Qualifying restructured

i despair like most fans at qualifying. I can imagine if hypofethically the 10 team bosses went into asda where I work, For something for breakfast. It would go something like "Toast isn't working we need to change", "Lets go back to croissants they went well last yr" & yet somehow they end up coming out with fruit toast a compromise that no one wanted

It almost like they don't want to admit the fans/pundits/media are right & What happened to toto wolff if anyone is opposed to go back to 2015 qualification then they need crucifying in the paddock. Somehow we've ended up with aggregate qualification which we ditched after 6 races for this popular knockout system a decade ago. Although it possibly lesser of 2 evils because it cant be any worse than what we have now also if I understand it correctly its 2015 system but instead of your best timed lap it would be your best 2 timed laps in the 15 min period or however long

Who knows what they'll come up with next, but if there is an easy way to fix the current system it would surely be to just shorten the sessions and adjust the timing so that they can go out and do their runs without the dead time at the end. Make adjustments round to round if necessary.

I honestly can't believe they're talking about aggregate now though. Or maybe I can.

The time has finally come for drastic action, so I want this guy to come in and sort out Quali,
..... and then he can move on to the rest of the crock of shit that F1 has become. :cheer:

Sky has a vote

F1 Report vote: Which qualifying system should be used from China?

current results seems clear

Screen Shot 2016-04-04 at 13.36.19.png

Poll watch:

6149 votes cast, 85% say revert to last years format. Not quite as comprehensive as a Crimean referendum but not far off.

I'm guessing the aggregate voters never experienced that in 2005. It made watching qually pointless because nobody knew who was on pole until it had all finished and maths had been done. The definition of complete crap, it was even worse than elimination qually and that is going some.

I didn't watch in 2005, and actually didn't even know there was aggregate qualifying then, and my first thought was "that's a really bad idea." It's kinda obvious that you don't know the hell what is going on and who is going to be on pole with such a system.

After all this surely someone in the World can think of a better idea if we can't go back to 2015 spec qualifying.

Please somebody.....

I can actually forgive them the aggerate time thing back in 2005 as it fitted more with old system. They used to run two quali sessions - an hour on Friday and an hour on Saturday with unlimited running with the fastest time set in either session being pole. Back in 05 they didn't want to drop the Friday session so did the aggerate thing. It was obvious it was crap from the start and got dropped like a hot stone (was really 5 races? I thought it was two) with the Friday session becoming the Running order decider for Saturday.

Back then F1 did have an FIA president who whilst being detestable actually made decisions for the good of the sport (even if others didn't think it was) rather than the good of his own interests (there was some of that), Bernie wasn't quite as nuts as he is now, the TV bomb had not exploded and the manufacturers had not moved in on the sport as a big advert for their brand(although plenty of team politics).

Simpler times. All F1 was trying to do then was change the rules to stop Ferrari winning.

They ran the sessions in 2005 on Saturday afternoon then Sunday morning.

As a system, it copped an unfortunate one with its first outing, when it pissed down half way through the Saturday session. Since the times had been decided by the running order in the previous race (2004 Brazil), it meant that those that ran in the dry (i.e. finished 9th-14th in Sao Paulo) got a massive advantage. Michael Schumacher (7th) in particular had to set his time in a rainstorm.

Sunday qualifying was considered rather pointless after all that, Schumi didn't even attempt to overturn his 27 second deficit on Fisichella.

That one is the problem with single-lap. (And why simply giving the drivers the choice of when to run solves the problem with single-lap.)

All painfully shown here:

The rain starts as soon as Fisi gets across the line, then Felipe Massa fails to set a time, crawling around a river on dries. Schumacher attempts it on inters, and Sato throws it off.

Back
Top Bottom