Qualifying restructured

Someone needs to tell Jean 'Nero' Todt that there isn't much of Rome left to burn and unless he puts down his fiddle and tries sorting out the mess F1 has become there will only be ashes to scatter.

Reading twitter thru ted kravitz & adam cooper apparently their has been an press conference FIA president Jean Todt is explaining why the new Qualifying hasn't been dropped. Said stuff like:
"I felt it necessary to give new qualifying 1 more chance"
"We live in a world where there is too much over reaction"
Jean Todt says the FIA asked Pirelli to provide an extra set of tyres for Q3 in Bahrain, but it was too late logistically
IMG_20160402_115049.jpg

Although has Jean Todt been reading clip the apex as im sure jve heard "Todt says one solution for Q3 could be the 8th, 7th, 6th etc cars from Q2 going out one at a time" somewhere before

Im quite interested to see how Australian gp qualification goes in few hours because if the reaction is negative ie aggregate qualifying back somehow a decade ago. I can see it being tweaked or scrapped by European season spain or mid season around Canada. If we going down this route. which we didnt need to mess with qualifying, I wouldve had this new qualification in Q1 & Q2, then either kept Q3 ala 2015 or gone for a 8 man 1 lap shootout. Where a drivers go 1 at a time in reverse Q2 order

According to Channel 4's coverage during Q3, they said that Todt blamed the teams for not understanding the format of the new qualification process in Australia and he hoped the teams had spent the last 10 days getting to understand it better.

This was followed by comments from our usual F1 team spokesman from the pit wall who promptly predicted that the qualification session would run almost exactly as it did in Australia. So brace yourselves for another shambles of an hour then.

This was followed by comments from our usual F1 team spokesman from the pit wall who promptly predicted that the qualification session would run almost exactly as it did in Australia. So brace yourselves for another shambles of an hour then.

Amen to her that.

If this qualifying format is used at the next race, then all those people with power and influence in F1 should be ashamed of themselves, as this current format blatantly doesn't work at all.

I didn't see Oz because it was in the small hours where I live so today was my first. It was awful.

The first problem is that the cars and their hybrid systems cannot do two hot laps in a row. They need a cool down lap to recharge. If they 'save' power on lap 1 to allow for lap 2, they will be too slow on the first lap.

Then there are the tyres which are designed to be peaky. You have to use them on lap 1 which means the performance is gone by lap 2 or 3. Even without the hybrid system issues, the tyres cannot do two hotlaps even with a cooldown lap.

Then there is the fuel. If you have enough for an extra lap or two, you again compromise lap 1.

Giving teams more tyres doesn't solve the problems. They still need to fix the hybrid issues and there are more problems too.

By the time the drivers know who is in trouble and the clock is ticking against their name, it is nearly always too late. They have to be on a lap by then already. If you are in the pits and second or third from last, you are already done. By the time you get out and complete the warm up lap and finish the flyer, three or four minutes have elapsed.

Today I saw only Hulkenberg make it work and that was only because the others weren't trying.

Bottom line is that this system will never work with these cars and these tyres no matter how many sets they hand out.

I did find it strange that the drivers in qualifying had 90 seconds to react to being eliminated, on a lap that took more than 90 seconds to complete.

To be honest, you may be right in part The Pits but I can't think how it could be made to work in its currant format.

As has been pointed out by many, if a driver finds hinself at risk of being knocked out, there is absolutely no time to respond. The only cars with enough time to come in, change tyres, get out and do a flying lap, are those who are safely through to the next round anyway.

I suppose one suggestion that was made is that if you cross the line to start a flying lap before the end of the 90 second knock out time then you are able to finish the lap. That would enable more cars to make a fist of staying in.

Back
Top Bottom