Qualifying restructured

Ok, so we keep the free for all but reduce qually to 30 minutes.
Make that 5 minutes and it could work.

We are all busy on a Saturday anyway. Why waste time? We could have our 5 minutes of fun and spend the other 55 at Tescos or pushing the kids on swings.

Or drinking if you are under 25.

:cheers:

I've been thinking, and the way I see it is that the only way to make progressive elimination qualifying work would be to have a qualifying race (bear with me).

The cars could start the qualifying race either in a random order (determined by a lottery), or if excitement was what was wanted, in reverse championship order.

In order to lose the potential chaos of a standing start the cars have a rolling start, with DRS enabled from lap one.

At the end of the second lap the last car is eliminated. (So the car in 22nd places will start the race in 22nd place).
Then, at the end of each lap, the last placed car is eliminated.

This would mean that the director could always focus on the elimination battle.
It would also bring in questions about tyre strategies; if you stay on the same set of tyres, you run he risk of being an easy overtake. However, stopping for tyres will lead to the risk of being last!

By having the qualification race in reverse championship order forces the cars to overtake as well...

I've come round to the idea of reverse grid races myself since last year as well. In my head the format would be using P3 to set the order for a sprint race Saturday afternoon in place of qualifying (so P3 would effectively be an hour long qualifying session). Then on Sunday for the main race the grid would be in reverse order of the Saturday sprint race. Both the Saturday and Sunday race would score points. The GP2 format, basically.

The problem like you say would be at circuits where it's pretty much impossible to overtake.

I think a qualifying race with a reverse grid would be a terrible idea, because it doesn't solve the problem that overtaking is hard due to the dirty air. In fact in a short race, there'd be even less overtaking than in a long race, because I presume everyone would be on the same tyres (and have similar degradation) and no pit-stops.

I'm afraid any sort of qualifying race or reverse grid is a perversion of what F1 is about.

Qualifying is qualifying. Fastest lap = higher better starting position. It's how it works across motor sport and sport in general. The only reason we suddenly have issues is because it's now on TV and needs to be 'entertaining'. The so-called 'show' is really the race but people seem to have forgotten that. Qualifying is suppose to be a warm up for the actual event.

As for the complaint about not enough people buying tickets to come to the event - have they thought about the ticket prices? Maybe if they were a bit cheaper you might get more people in. It's a bit like a theatre charging 80 quid for tickets to come see a dress rehearsal of a play and then when the theatre is not full telling the script writers to make it more exciting.

Aggregate times kind of spits in the face of qualifying being all about ultimate place. Any sense of drama in the second runs yesterday would have been completely removed as Rosberg wouldn't have needed to push to the limit on his 2nd run to take pole after Hamilton's mistake in the first run, for example.
I guess the interesting question would have been if Hamilton would have tried to go for a third run. (Possibly compromising his race strategy.)

Typically, teams would have just about enough time to do three attempts at a fast lap in a session. In principle, they could try to recover from a bad lap. The big question would be if they are willing to sacrifice the tires needed to do so.

Oooh written a letter. That'll show the powers that be the teams won't be messed with.

Do you think the Western powers would consider writing a letter to IS asking them to stop? It seems like a pretty effective way of doing business.

So this is all just going to play out, we'll have the Razamatazz of elimination qualifying until someone cracks.

At least we won't have to see aggregate qualifying aggregate qualifying proposal for China.

So curious as the teams for once are sticking together, they can make this elimination qualifying as boring to the TV as they want! For Q2 in Bahrain, Williams said they sent their Cars out just for the fun of it, take that away and we could have minutes of empty track for Bernie & Todt to explain to their Chinese Backers. Who's going to crack first?

I couldn't give a flying ***k who "cracks" first.

This should be about a fair qualifying system or qualifying opportunity that provides spiffing entertainment to the paying fan or viewer. Seriously, what ever the hell happened to slinging your car around the track as fast as you possibly can without tire restrictions and all sorts of other bollocks getting in the way?

For all the collective expertise and experience the F1 paddock and FIA have they really can't organise a piss up in a brewery can they? I can't remember a time where I've been less interested in qualifying and sadly due to this, F1 as a whole.

What a bloody calamity.

Back
Top Bottom