Formula E News and General Discussion Thread

Thinking about it there still will be an Audi powertrain in Gen3 just not an Audi team. I wonder if the same will happen with BMW. Not so much an exit but a step back.

Could be, but is that because it's cheaper to run out the contract than pulling out completely?

There's still a lot to gain from FE as far as power train and charging development goes; especially for someone like Audi who would definitely do electric le man's.

There is an article here which discusses the change of direction Audi have taken but you have to subscribe to read it and I don't have a subscription

If anyone does and would like to give me the clip notes that would be much appreciated

just reading Gen 3 rules, look good much quicker almost doubling the BHP per tonne going from 372bhp per tonne to 605 per tonne, with can only be a good thing, its now getting rid of the biggest critiersm that doubters have it been too slow, as they moving from being 100bhp per tonne slower than a W series & British F3 car. to being 40bhp per tonne quicker than a F3/GP3 car

but flip flopping on pit stops i think is the 1st thing i could be crititial of them because gen 1 pit stops, gen 2 no pit stops, gen 3 pit stops. might be confusing & do they really need to increase the race distance i thought 45 mins + 1 lap work very well. surely they should be looking at icreasing range not doing the pitstops which will only perpetuate myth about electric cars
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
also on why are they leaving, could be a prestige thing, because reading this they have left to go to Le Mans under the new regulations. so just moving budgets

Audi set to quit Formula E, start LMDh project

It's not a myth, they need to pit stop and bring out the same car in under 30 secs that way it will creep down to road cars with a 15 to 30 minutesstop

As far as coverage goes, I was extremely disappointed in the BBCs decision to put FE on the red button. That showed absolutely no faith in the series being able to draw in viewers.

BBC2 would have been the ideal choice for it as the casual viewer would stand a better chance of finding it. Apart from those who know the race calendar, how many people look at the Red Button service in case there happens to be something on.

The FIA need to give the series another boost coming out of Covid to remind the world that its still there or there is a risk FE, for all its great intentions, could go the way of A1GP.

It seems strange that the teams are withdrawing just as the championship has gained official world championship status.

I hope it survives but we live in strange times at the moment. Whether it does or not it has proven 3 things:

1 - Electric tech is a viable tech

2 - Motorsport can still be used to push forward relevent road technology.

3 - Motorsport can be fun and exciting if it's ruled in the right way.

I feel like it has given F1 a really warning signal. I think the owners and players in F1 know that too or they wouldn't have took time out to criticise it in the press.

Looking forward to the new season and very much looking forward to see where a Gen 3 can do.

Some classic stuff. Never seen a closer race that that one where Wrehelin ran out of energy on the final straight and was taken for the win on the line. The one where Di Grassi came from the back conserving energy all the way to win also stands out in my mind as well.

some classic races, i remember punta de la este where nobody wanted to win & leader kept crashing. the chaos of Paris. & that finale in london in the 2nd season was 1 of the best races in motorsport of the year

They do need to make changes but I imagine the changes Toto Wolff want are for them to just do exactly what he wants.
He hasn't said anything of the....

Oh, hang on, no sorry, you're absolutely correct. That is what he said:

“We remain committed as long as the framework for future regulations, financial regulations, and technical regulations, remain attractive for Mercedes.

McLaren really are spreading their butter quite thinly. At a time when they are restructuring and refinancing to make up for significant financial losses they seem to be looking in every direction at once.

Back
Top Bottom