Formula E News and General Discussion Thread

i would assume he still riding off the reputation of the DTM. where he was a champion at 20. then into F1 where Mercedes enhanced his reputation by praising him as a test driver. i think that he is 1 of those that performances make him look better than he is

as i was looking into the stats of him there is no other way to say it but he been quite average & right place right time. if you had told me that wehrlein had never won in FE & only stood on the podium once. i wouldnt have believed you. i could sworn ive watched him win potentially Uruguay (parc o higgins) & DTM he won the title with the lowest points 169pts in current 2 race schedule (only 19 more than the 2014 champion with 8 more races) he won twice only on podium 5 times

Track layouts for the races in Berlin have been published. One is the original track, they will then race that backwards and the third track has some extra wiggly bits added.

Even Las Vegas didn't get that many races in a car park. When are they going to get some proper races without concrete?

Well I'll make two comments Bill Boddy - firstly this is unique as a way to finish off a pandemic hit season without putting anyone at risk so criticism seems a bit out of place and just an op to take a pop at something.

Secondly these 'proper' races you talk off at these fabulous race tracks F1 currently.race at don't exactly produce good races do they?

The street circuit/city centre thing is Formula E's current MO whilst the tech gets developed and the series grows in popularity. Moaning about that is a pure mis-understanding of what they are trying to achieve. The racing is good and i'm not complaining. If they race on the same circuits as other series they would open themselves up to endless criticism from the Motorsport old guard about the lack of speed. The series has been very sensible in not trying to run before it can walk. If it hadn't done that it would not exist anymore - certainly not with nearly every major car manufacturer becoming involved.

i think this is a thing where we cant really complain considering the pandemic Bill Boddy . because this is just not normal times of course id prefer races in many different cities. of course football & darts without fans is crap, & F1 without a podium or martins gridwalk is less entertaining. but like in all sports this is better than null & void.

but where i think the 3rd one is too fiddly & will struggle for overtaking. but im very interested in the reverse track. i would almost say could be better circuit

just reading that daniel abt has replaced Ma Qinghua at nio because ma cant travel to berlin because of travel restrictions. cant see that being awkward at all if he bumps into rene rast & audi in the lockdown hotel & paddock :D :whistle:

enough about British GP what about the berlin eprix :D

yeah i think it understandable they were rusty indycar was similarly uneventful when their season opener was a 1 day event. because FE as we know unlike F1 they only had 1hr 15 practise. 3 laps in qualifying. then bang straight into the race after over 5 months out & then BTCC was mentioning this similar note because of their condensed calendar. a big accident you might miss a race.

the way the race was going it was building towards the end with safety cars. (that subraction of energy rule i disagree with.) & all the attack modes left. title is looking like da Costa to lose. 41pt lead in car, thats won last 2 titles, car looks like class of field & Da Costa has won the last 2 from pole. even last 2 was 2nd

Not a classic but good to hear the high pitched aggressive whirl the Formula E again. Da Costa's to lose now but ...... every time I've seen Da Costa in position to win a title in a series he has bottled it so let's wait and see. He has made JEV lose his temper though!

A word on the Audi's and BMW's. They need better drivers. Bird for Virgin, Lotterer for Porsche, D'ambrosio with Mahindra and the two Merc drivers show that a good driver can drag an average car up the front. If you think that Virgin are an Audi customer car who are beating them hands down it's really a poor show from them.

Looking forward to the next 5!

Oh and cider_and_toast is right Massa was a gigantic tit.

What was he doing?

At least 3 times the team asked him to back up into the escape area and he said he couldn't (which he clearly could) and then he promptly backed up after a full course yellow had neutralised the race. Anyone who had taken the attack zone boost at that point lost the benefit (Mitch Evans probably lost out the most here) and we had several laps of unnecessary trundling.

It wasn't even the team it was race control which makes him even more of a tit! But yes he managed to ruin a lot of peoples races by being stubborn. Commentary reckoned he didn't want to risk damaging the car for today's race.

im with you RasputinLives from back in june, i think it is time for di grassi to leave because he had another shocking qualifying 21st & outqualified by your debutant teammate. now thats only 1 top 10 qualifying since the swiss e prix in june 2019, albeit he races very well 21st to 9th? yesterday for 1 of the "best" drivers on the grid thats not good enough, he needs to be further up.

but trying to get rid of di grassi i think is unlikely because he is like a statesman not only in audi but in formula e. he was headhunted by agag to test & develop formula e car back in 2012

Yeah but you could give him a top class team mate to push him along. Ds Teechetah did it with Da Costa, Merc did it with Devries, Nissan did it with Rowland and Jaguar are doing it with Bird.

As for BMW - I'm afraid both are not top clas in any series they've been in. Really need a review. Oh and Jani needs to go from Porsche.

There are a lot of good young drivers out there from GP2 who are not getting drives in F1 anytime soon. If Zhou isn't on a lot of people's shopping list for next year then the scouting system is very wrong.

fully agree on zhou, its taken a while but chinese have finally produced a driver of talent & that could make F1 on merit instead of money. has the potential to be best asian driver we've seen. i would be looking at ilott ghiotto & markelov. BMW for me is good car but 2 drivers arent exactly quality

but on di grassi the funny thing i still believe he is in elite category of FE as the race pace is very good always recovers to finish top 10, but what is going on with his qualifying as it not a 1 off mistake. its consistently poor when they sort the 1 lap pace out he can be championship contender again

Last edited:
Given that Formula E has two races in China a year and a Chinese team you'd think Zhou being in it next year would be a shoe in. Guess it depends on whether he wants to hold out for F1. Can't see that coming though however good he is.

Back
Top Bottom