Formula E News and General Discussion Thread

just caught the end of qualifying for Forumla E in paris. wehrlein on pole Rowland 2nd. massa 5th. was last time out a 1 off because evans has come from 2nd to 20th on the grid. if anyone wondering how that affects the championship these title rivals based on championship standings 6th, 16th, 8th, 20th, 10th, 4th, 14th, 15th, 12th

although probally best not to watch it on BBC tv as the red button arent showing it until 11pm, but quest on freeview & eurosport have it live from 2:30. even if I have very low expectations. as paris is majority as wide as a 1 way street

Berlin ePrix starts in 15mins. but then this weekend everything is happening for me feel I need 3 TV's but could be interesting buemi is on pole from Vandoorne, Di Grassi, Paffett :o & Lynn. also the grid in championship order

1 - Vergne - 8th
2 - Lotterer - 21st
3 - Frijins - 22nd
4 - Da Costa - 7th
5 - Di Grassi - 3rd
6 - Evans - 18th
----------------------
8 - Rowland - 12th
10 - Bird - 13th

Provisional 19/20 calendar has been issued today:

2019/20 FE calendar
1 Ad Diriyah** November 22, 2019
2 Ad Diriyah November 23, 2019
3 TBC December 14, 2019
4 Santiago* January 18, 2020
5 Mexico City* February 15, 2020
6 Hong Kong* March 1, 2020
7 TBC March 21, 2020
8 Rome April 4, 2020
9 Paris April 18, 2020
10 Seoul* May 3, 2020
11 Berlin May 30, 2020
12 New York City June 20, 2020
13 London* July 25, 2020
14 London* July 26, 2020

Two comments:

Massively dissapointed that not only is Saudi Arabia still on the calendar but is now a double header.

Flying off to Seoul between Paris and Berlin seems very daft and not very environmentally friendly.

Flying off to Seoul between Paris and Berlin seems very daft and not very environmentally friendly.

yes that does seem a bit strange you would've thought going to seoul on 21st march from hong hong & have the TBC on 3rd may. but appartanly its the only weekend that could accodomdate them. im assuming morocco will be 14th December. but interesting that swiss ePrix is canned before the 1st one has happened

just watched bern e prix how fantastic was that. the antithesis of F1. lovely setting shame we wont be returning but the protest put paid to any chance we had of that. I was very glad they went back to qualifying order post red flag because it seem very unfair that bird dropped down to 17th no fault of his own & surely di grassi going upto 8th missing the chicane was surely cutting the circuit & gaining a advantage. but race thrilling to the end loved vergne v evans to & throw battle. some fantastic overtakes from bird & lotterer. them final 3 laps with closing rain was edge of the seat stuff as you had the top 4 nose to tail. trying to stay in the lead & on the track. which 5th bird nearly failed & slammed it in wall on the penultimate lap

I had predicted vergne for the title back in Saudi arabia & before we got to Europe it looked dodgy as weve had 6 championship leaders. 32 ahead of lotterer, 33 pts ahead of di grassi & 43 ahead of evans. which basically means that Lotterer & di grassi have to finish on podium in both races, to stand a chance of the title thats even if Vergne retires or fails to score points

I know we talked about F1 numerous problems, people want it to be elite & don't want it to be a spec series. but when I was watching that thrilling ePrix that I was just talking about. did I care at that time FE cars was having 77mph average laps, or everyone had the same aero. no I delighted I had some exiting racing to watch. also the social media & written media arent chatting about what a brilliant job Mercedes are doing or how clever the F1 cars are. they talk about how :censored: that French GP was

Last edited:
This is very interesting. It seems that since the Hong Kong EP onwards all but two the teams have found a sneaky sneaky way of 'mimicing' a traction control system in their cars. This is of course against the rules. FIA have announced that next season the cars will include mapping software designed to monitor these sneaky systems.

https://e-racing365.com/formula-e/fia-acts-to-end-traction-control-exploitation/

Teams are moaning about it saying that it's flawed and won't work - which obviously translates as it will work and they'll all have to stop cheating and aren't happy about it.

very interesting well as we know from F1, if you give a teams a loophole they will used it.

but this weekends finale I have got a nightmare mens Wimbledon final, British GP & FE finale (which will probally be over by sunday) all to watch on sunday night

Last edited:
considering qualifying i would say that the Formula E title is all but vergnes. because di grassi 14th vergne 10th & even if vergne had 2 dnfs. the bare minimum di grassi requires to win is 2nd & 3rd which looks extremely unlikely from 14th

Been announced today that Andre Lotterer has signed to drive for Porsche next season. Opens a spot at DS Teechetah and that will be very interesting to see who they fill it with. Wrehlein has dropped hints he won't be at Mahindra next season but will still be in Formula E. I thought that would mean he was off to Merc to partner Vandorne but maybe it's Teechetah.

Interestingly the next Formula E season starts before the end of this year's F1 and F2 season which means drivers in both those series might have to make an early decision about their career path. Tough one for those in F2 especially - people like De Vries and Settle Camera for instance.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see what happens to Mitch Evans. He's clearly a great driver and his performance in this years Jag has certainly seen him drag the car and the team in to places that no one would ever think it could get. He's carried the entire team throughout the year and almost certainly saved the team from an early exit.

Most of the FE grid appears to be yesterdays drivers or drivers who never will. I've always argued those heading for a bright future in F1 these days are identified long before they get to tier 2 level races. Especially in this day and age when world champions spend a number of years in the best car and there being only one or two seats at the most that can even challenge for wins.

ah yes i saw this morning & it made me think that franchitti knew something as when talking about porsche. he said he could see lotterer in that seat given his history with porsche & 48hrs its confirmed. dario knew it had been signed in new York. but had to make it sound like a opinion

cider_and_toast there is an argument that Formula E has picked up an immense amount of talent due to the fact the big names in F1 hold on to seats for so long. Vergne, Buemi, Bird, Evans, Frijns, Rowland are all better than some of the drivers on the current F1 grid but have fallen through the gaps by not being wunder kids and actually developing into the talent they are rather than being instant mash. Both Buemi and Vergne were ditched from F1 in their early 20s and both performed pretty well.

I'm probably of the thinking that the Formula E grid has the most talent on it then any other series. Not many duffers on it really.

interesting reading that & to see what been happening in the post season

no surprise Paffett went never did anything & too old. great move for de vries. because he has all but won F2. 59 ahead with effectively 88. if he takes pole in Russia then he have it all wrapped by feature race. really only latifi looks like he is able to graduate that through kubica being poor & latifi ££££

interested to see Hartley in FE great in WEC but recently has been disappointing in single seaters

Da Costa & Sims been dumped from what ive read by BMW. which i think is harsh on Da Costa. as gunther has the BMW seat could be same at Jaguar & Mahrinda as neither have confirmed any line ups

that 2nd seat at techeetah is going to be a very sort after seat. with lotterer off to porsche

Drivers will no longer be allowed to activate the Attack Mode during Full Course Yellow and Safety Car periods.

weird that round 3 is 4 months away & venue / country is still TBC

Back
Top Bottom