Formula E News and General Discussion Thread

Mexico was the race of the season for me. Di Grassi holding on to a superb win with little power left in the car and Mitch Evans taking 4th for Jaguar.

All it all, this season has been another step forward and for once I managed to watch a significant number of races.

I'm looking forward to next year and I hope the Jaguar team can take a significant step forward with their car. Mitch Evans has done a great job but Adam Carroll has let the side down. Given the number of manufacturers waiting to come in, at least Jag have managed a full season of experience which can only help them move forward.

On that subject how pleased with themselves must the board at Mahindra be with their decision to go for it where Formula E are concerned? A manufacturer most of the world hasn't heard of who are now one of the lead teams in a formula that is going to include all of the biggest names in car production!

They risked it for a biscuit and it paid off.

Last edited:
I wonder how many of these incoming manufacturer teams are looking at entering as start up outfits or taking over existing teams? I haven't tracked the numbers but by 2019 we are looking at a 26 car grid at the moment aren't we?

BMW are taking over Andretti for sure (involvement starts next year) but I got the impression that Merc would be a brand new team. No news on Porsche but if they were new that would take the grid to 24. Right from the start Formula E had said it wanted to stretch to 12 teams.

We have got two season before this though and the likelihood is one of the smaller teams might fall anyways. Teechetah are the only customer team.

RasputinLives - I wonder if Dragon would be likely to look for a bigger (and more reliable) manufacturer than Faraday. Venturi don't seem to be getting much success or exposure out of the formula either.

I look forward to BMW taking over Andretti if only to banish their current mid-90s Minardi rejected livery from the grid. Although for the same reason, I can't really celebrate Audi taking over Abt.

Getting better RasputinLives

Would love it if race 10 was announced as being in the UK and would still like to see no more than 3 weeks between each race. An improvement though.

So in season 5 of Formula E it look like they may introduce a competing type of battery. Standard lithium will of course be around but these new 'flow' batteries could also be allowed. Not sure I completely understand the tech(see below article) but they claim to have to be charged less and can run for longer.

CleanTechnica

Last edited:
Ideally for the last season of two car running it would be interesting if the cars could have a bit more of an option on when to pit. With the current battery life it's pretty much all in within a lap or two in the middle of the race. If the batteries could be made to last 2/3 of the race it would give cars an opportunity to run long or short stints and perhaps mix it up a little. Di Grassi's run in Mexico from an early pit stop remains one of the absolute classic FE races to date and I'd like to see a bit more of that strategy mix up in season 5. I do fear that when the series moves to single cars in season 6 it will lose a chunk of strategy options with all the cars gradually running down on power at similar rates. It is something that will need to be carefully looked at.

Shit. Talk about mixed feelings. Love Jag. Jnr can stuff off.

I take it Adam Carroll will be looking for a new drive unless Mitch Evans has bagged a better seat?

Back
Top Bottom