New forum software - feedback wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.
The "Button" spoiler BB Code has been changed to "Spoiler" and the old spoiler code deleted.
This is to do with the switch.
The functionality is the same so no change there.

I'm pleased to report that the new software will accept apostrophes on the button text so that's an improvement.

I'll also be changing the media embedding too so youtube will become media=youtube, and the same for vimeo, etc.
I'll post here once that's completed.

There's also another chat add-on which I am testing.
So far both of them work very well so we should have no issues when it comes time to switch.

Hey Brogan, will there be any support for mobile access? This software is simple enough to load fairly quickly and format properly on mobiles. I'm thinking the new software could be a little too demanding for phones..? Not that i post on my phone, but i do occasionally check in when not working from the office...

The new software is actually much more mobile friendly.
There are far less images so it loads faster, all of the javascript has graceful degradation for anyone who has it switched off and it has webkit functionality built in.

At some point in the future there will also be a specific mobile style.

Brogan said:

all of the javascript has graceful degradation for anyone who has it switched off and it has webkit functionality built in.

Phew, I've been worrying about that ;) (check Luddite in the OED and there's a picture of me in the side bar :D )

I'm pleased to report that the new design is coming along nicely.

Just about finished the overall style/theme and now on to the fine details.

Next will be all the add-ons such as chat, etc.
Then preparing all the content as some of the locked threads here (circuits, etc.) will become static pages.

Then it's the big switchover.

tooncheese said:
Will all the threads on here stay, or will they be lost?

They will be migrated over. Nothing will be lost, but some things might find new homes.

Yes, as fat_jez said, all of the forum content will be migrated including users, threads, posts, etc.

Some things will be lost due to the differences between the old and new systems such as avatars, signatures and private messages.

So if there are any PMs you want to hang on to then it might be best to save them to your PC now.

Brogan said:
Some things will be lost due to the differences between the old and new systems such as avatars, signatures and private messages.

I thought that was just the reason you gave FB for why he couldn't have his Vettel finger avatar on the new forums?

fat_jez said:
Brogan said:

I thought that was just the reason you gave FB for why he couldn't have his Vettel finger avatar on the new forums?
Sadly he'll be able to upload an even larger one now... :rolleyes:

VettelFinger.jpg

The new forum is just about ready for another trial run.

Can anyone who's interested in testing it out and providing feedback please post here and let me know?

Thanks.

fat_jez said:
I don't suppose it's optional? :rolleyes:
Well there's the first person for the "Discouraged Users" group LOL

And yes, that is a real feature :D

Attachments

• acp_discouraged users.PNG
    acp_discouraged users.PNG
    55.4 KB · Views: 113
I would help but I'm just getting a massive page delay which more often than not results in a blank page.

I think Brogan is trying to tell me something. :whistle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom