New forum software - feedback wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.
F1Yorkshire said:
If your needing any testers for when the forum starts to go live I usually have a fair bit of free time during the day.
Thanks chap.
Hopefully the forum software will be pretty much stable by the time we come to install it.
I can't say the same for our own code though so we may well need testers for that :D

If anyone else want to be involved with any testing (if required), can you let me know on this thread?

Brogan said:
Grizzly said:
What software are you going for? My friend wrote chat software for the new VB4 forum software... but i guess you are staying php?
I'm going for a brand new forum solution which isn't yet available.
The beta will be out in a few weeks and then it will go gold several weeks or a month or so later.
It will be a paid solution, as opposed to a free one which is what we have currently.

If you want to get a heads up, have a look at it here: http://xenforo.com/community/

Some of the innovative features can be seen in various videos in this forum: http://xenforo.com/community/forums/have-you-seen/

Anyone is free to register on that site if they want to have a play with the software before we switch to it, although it is primarily a support forum for site admin's and people who will be purchasing the software, etc.

Thanks Brogan

In preparation for the switch, I will be making some small changes to the site over the coming weeks.
Most of them will be invisible and won't affect the usage of the site but some of them will involve the removal of certain BBCodes, topic icons and also smilies.

If anyone notices any orphan code related to any deleted items, please post on here so I can tidy it up.

I spotted an error around 2pm! Looks like you have fixed it now though.

Wil their b a spel chek on the knew forum? My typping isnt as good as it uesd 2 b.

F1Yorkshire said:
I spotted an error around 2pm! Looks like you have fixed it now though.

Wil their b a spel chek on the knew forum? My typping isnt as good as it uesd 2 b.

Use Firefox and add the British English dictionary. Problem solved :)

Brogan said:
In preparation for the switch, I will be making some small changes to the site over the coming weeks.
Most of them will be invisible and won't affect the usage of the site but some of them will involve the removal of certain BBCodes, topic icons and also smilies.

If anyone notices any orphan code related to any deleted items, please post on here so I can tidy it up.

Ermm dunno what you changed but my tables took a nose dive for the worse LOL (see engine wc)

slickskid said:
Ermm dunno what you changed but my tables took a nose dive for the worse LOL (see engine wc)
Whoops! Sorry slick.
I deleted the colour and center tags as they don't comply with the standards.

I've replaced colour with color/color and center with align=center/align and they're back to normal.

Please update your template so it works next time you update it.

I'll be consolidating all the table code in an attempt to make it easier to use so it's likely that a few more tables will become messed up.
Please point them out if you notice them so I can get them sorted.

Andrea_Moda_Rules said:
also makes pretty unique to most other forums.

I think the fact we have civilised and mature debates and conversations makes us pretty unique compared to most forums :)

I've got another question.....

With the planned facebook integration how will that affect users who can't access facebook at work?
Will certain features be shown as blank squares like youtube videos are at the moment or will forum access be restricted?

The Facebook integration just means you can log in via Facebook and like posts on the forum which will then appear on your Facebook profile.

You don't need to be logged in to Facebook or even have a Facebook account to use the forum.
All actual forum content will be forum specific, nothing to do with Facebook as such.

tooncheesef1 said:
Most of the drivers are on twiter, willl this new site have a little panel showing their recent posts?
The software has been designed in such a way as to make it easy to hook into it using APIs of other sites.
A Twitter block would be relatively easy to add.

We could actually do that here but I see little point in spending time developing the current incarnation as it will be replaced before too long.

The pricing has been announced for the new software and I'm pleased to say that it's less than I anticipated so I will be purchasing it.
It is being released in Beta form next week but we won't be able to go live with it for quite a while as we will need to import the database and an importer doesn't currently exist.

I can though get on with the business of setting up the new design, layout, etc.

Before I do so, is there anything that people would fundamentally like to see changed?
Such as the font size, which admittedly is on the small side to accommodate the various tables for the standings and overtaking data.
We don't necessarily need to keep it that small for the new site though as those particular items can be done in a different way.

So anything you would like to see considered, say now before it's too late.

teabagyokel said:
Auto F1 Fantasy League!
That would have to be completely custom code which would need to be integrated to the new forum and has been on the "To Do" list for a while now.
I'm not sure whether we will have time to do it though, sadly...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom