Mercedes and Ferrari in 'secret' Pirelli tyre tests

Having read Adam Cooper's blog, it throws up more questions than answers - as Hembery protests, it is all so last year. Thus, suggesting that this year is a whole different ball game.

So does this mean there may be discrepancies between what is written in to Pirellis contract, and what the regulations allow the team to do.

Ross Brawn mentioned in the build up that the tyres were coded at the test and they didn't know what they were, he then mentioned that he later learnt that the tyres in question are for next year so it's a moot point really.

That is a loop hole that could be explained

Although the argument of favouritism might come in again and whether Pirelli were doing it under the FIA or not

I wonder how long will it be before they allow a tyre war again because I definitely see Red Bull using a different supplier probably Michelin

If the FIA permitted it then case closed.
Not true, everyone is missing a point here, the test is legal under the rules but the team carrying out the test is not allowed to use this years car, or last years car.

Mercedes were asked to carry out the test during the race weekend, so can anyone believe they had a three year old car just laying around the place?

No of course they didn't which means they must have used this years car which is against the rules the FIA may have said okay but they didn't say they could use their present race car, and suddenly the Mercs have gone from the worst car on its tyres to one of the best...

Move along nothing to see here,,,, yeah right.

Mercedes haven't got a leg to stand on and I fully expect them to be disqualified from the Monaco Grand Prix...

Red Bull can talk to whoever they want. If the rules say there is only going to be one tyre supplier, then they can't use another suppliers' tyres. But nobody seems to care about rules anyway, so maybe they can...

Michelin did say they would only be a part of F1 as long as they weren't the sole supplier. With 2 manufacturers this tyre malarky would not happen.

Ross Brawn has just said on SKY...they didn't know what tyres they were testing..it was a case of test this..test that....so not an advantage to Merc..just a case of making the tyres safe. Merc were experiencing tyre deg...but they will not directly be helped by the help they have given Pirelli?

I think this is unfair, and I'm surprised other teams are not protesting.

Mercedes, unlike Ferrari after Bahrain, used this years car from what I've heard, they've also managed to gain extra mileage, doesn't matter if it's different tyre compounds, they still got the extra mileage.

Ferrari used their 2010 car which is allowed, so that's probably why they've protested along with Red Bull.

Mercedes should be penalised, if not, then all the other teams should get to test the tyres used on their current car, which is unlikely.

Back
Top Bottom