Mercedes and Ferrari in 'secret' Pirelli tyre tests

The rumour according to Sky seems to be Ferrari at Bahrain, I would say a more likely team to conduct a secret test at Bahrain would be McLaren. I can't imagine a substantial partner in McLaren letting another team gain an advantage unless McLaren knew about the test and have done the gentlemanly thing and not kicked up a fuss.

Why does Pirelli even pick a top team? I mean, let the top teams fight it out and choose some of the backmarkers or one mid field teams if you want to test on a present car.

This just looks so unfair, it's another farce in f1.

I can understand Mercedes being picked as they are pretty much one of the shittest out there with their tyres yet quickest over one lap - you wouldn't pick Lotus, Ferrari or Sauber.

As for being allowed to do this? I don't agree any team should be given the opportunity. If the FIA have given permission though I fail to see how Mercedes can be penalises?

That was picked up on by Sky, logistically there is a lot involved in having another test between races, they needed a 3rd chassis as well as all parts needed to run 1000km of testing. Would a smaller team have the necessary funding in order to pay for it?

Even so, if every team get's a test, the teams that have a test in the early part of the season have an advantage.

The FIA are once again a joke.

That was picked up on by Sky, logistically there is a lot involved in having another test between races, they needed a 3rd chassis as well as all parts needed to run 1000km of testing. Would a smaller team have the necessary funding in order to pay for it?

No they don't, but you would think Pirelli would do some funding.
I think Lotus gave them a car last year or two years ago and i can't imagine that Lotus has paid everything.

Q: Did you ask anyone else to do that test, or was it just Mercedes?
“We invited all the teams to do 1000kms testing, some replied, some didn’t.”
Q: But that was last year?
“Some replied, some didn’t…”
Q: But for this specific test…
“We don’t need to. Some replied and some didn’t…”

I think the situatiion would be quite different if they would have asked the teams this year.

We seem to be missing some vital information here...
Why would these tests have been conducted in secret? Surely if they were mandated by the FIA then the FIA would have made the other teams aware that it was happening/had happened? If not, why not?
Why were there no protests after the 'first team' tested then? Is it because everyone hates Mercedes or did the FIA/Pirelli/first team keep it quiet? I find it very hard to believe such a test could be kept absolutely secret.

Martin Brundle makes an interesting point. If the test was kept secret, who was there to ensure that Mercedes were not testing any new parts?

What grounds have Red Bull got to protest with? The test was sanctioned by the FIA and within the rules. Horner stop being such a cry baby just because you didn't get the advantage this time.

Back
Top Bottom