Mark Webber vs Sebastian Vettel

I was hungry

As for Webber being difficult to overtake in a bad way (was said up there a few posts back) I agree somewhat but I actually think he's more dangerous when he's made an error and trying to charge back through the field - seems to lose his head somewhat and pull some dangerous moves. Aus 2010 is a good example.

I can't honestly think why Mark Webber would be singled out over anyone else for bad driving. Sure, he's clipped a couple of people in his career, but no more than most of his competition.

He is a hard racer and I think that's a good thing. The sport needs hard racers.

I don't think people were saying he was a bad driver just that on occasions he has a tendency to not look before he leaps so to speak.

..., given the weight diff. between MW and SV (Batman vs child) and the lack of option MW had to re-allocate weight around the chassis, gave the kid the edge... ie. he could trim out the car more than MW could...

Mark has finally dicovered how to use his extra weight to his advantage.
In China he demonstrated this by doing a wheelie and then throwing his big body forward to land on all fours againLOL

I can't honestly think why Mark Webber snip/ The sport needs hard racers.

there have definitely been incidents where a mean streak has emerged from behind Marks easy going Aussieness. For example Singapore 2010 when he left his nose out as Hamilton passed him. Also he can be a little dangerous. The famous Spa move on Alonso for example was a few marbles away from a 180mph disaster, luckily the wily Spaniard kept his cool and prevented a possible collision
I still believe that the coming together with Vettel was caused by his refusing to follow team instructions to let Vettel past and again using spoiling tactics

Apart from that I like Webber

I'd be interested to see how many 'racing incidents' Webber has been in compared to Vettel (although i realise if you're out front like Vettel was last season you're not going to be involved) because Vettel has this rep of not being able to overtake "The crash kid" etc but I actually think when it comes to cutting back through the field they are much an pretty even match.

Webber def loses out on starts though doesn't he? Its always been a little bit of a chink in his armour. I remember Alonso's first win in Hungary came about because Webber was on pole in the Jag, got a slow start and then held up the rest of the field whilst Fernando sprinted off into the distance - and I also remember it being predicted that it could happen beforehand. Are his bad starts really all down to the height issue?

Just read this...

http://en.espnf1.com/redbull/motorsport/story/76110.html?CMP=OTC-RSS

After the Chinese Grand Prix, Vettel said: "It was an interesting weekend, we collected a lot of data on different cars but ended up more or less in the same place [fourth and fifth], which was pretty funny. I think both packages have their advantages but for next week we will see what we do." Red Bull advisor Dr Helmut Marko told Servus TV on Tuesday: "We will go on with the Mark Webber car." As for why Webber feels more comfortable in the updated car, Marko added: "Mark is less sensitive to the [car's] behaviour. He just needs four wheels, but it's different for Vettel."

I was hungry

As for Webber being difficult to overtake in a bad way (was said up there a few posts back) I agree somewhat but I actually think he's more dangerous when he's made an error and trying to charge back through the field - seems to lose his head somewhat and pull some dangerous moves. Aus 2010 is a good example.

75% of it is between the ears... the reputation that MW has earned as being hard to pass... and not ceding ground when passing makes it easier for him to get around some lesser mental midgets behind the wheel... perception becomes reality...

Mark has finally dicovered how to use his extra weight to his advantage.
In China he demonstrated this by doing a wheelie and then throwing his big body forward to land on all fours againLOL

Complete show off... catching those in front of him hand of fist and show boating to the crowd... :shocked:

Very similar to how people say Button and Hamilton are then? Button likes his car just how he likes it whilst Lewis just drives.

It is interesting - it might be why Webber was the one who jumped to the front in 2011 as well because Seb was still learning his set ups and Mark was just getting on with it. Also might explain why Vettel always seems to have a good run near the end of the season - I guess he's got the car to his liking by then.

There have been a lot of Princess and The Pea drivers in the past so Seb is not alone - he still seems to be getting decent results though even if things aren't perfect for him. It does seem to confirm that Webber was off form last year though as if he is the type of driver who can always drive round a problem he should have been at least on Seb's tail last year. I personally thought he'd had his spirit broken by seeing Vettel taken the title in last race of 2010 and couldn't pick himself up. I think he has this year though. Should be an interesting battle.

Oh and I meant to add. Lets remember Webber has had a lot longer in F1 and a lot of bad cars for him to learn to drive round problems. This is Seb's 5th full season in F1 and the first time he's had a bad car really.

Not sure why'd they'd want to take their double world champion and number one driver down a peg or two.

If they'd wanted to do that surely they wouldn't have backed his comments up like they did.

Is it possible that Vettel is upsetting others in the team with his recent behaviour and comments? Might they take him down a peg if he continues?

We all know how he reacted to pressure in 2010... I guess we shall see as the seasons unfolds... and whether being a 2xWC has "evened" out his petulance...

Imagine a scenario where Newey irreconcilably takes disfavour with Vettel, which is an entirely possible scenario.

Now, who do you show the door?

Back
Top Bottom