Mark Webber vs Sebastian Vettel

I think it’s a matter of perception depending on the driver...

..if it had been Schumacher rather than Alonso say, I feel opinions on this particular move would be very different.

I agree it's a matter of perception of the driver.

The 2 Saubers had a similar moment in Shanghai last race when Perez moved across on Kobayashi as Kobayashi overtook him.

Per Kob.jpg

That cannot be compared to Vettel/Alonso where Alonso simply drove his car round the corner in front of him whilst Vettel tried to overtake him on the outside on a bit of track that didn't exist.

Alonso wasn't simply driving around the corner he specifically went wide to defend from Vettel as most drivers would and Perez did in the pic I posted. In the post-race Monza interview Alonso said, "Yeah we have nothing to lose in the battles with Sebastian, he is leading the championship by 100 points I think, so when we have to defend we will be a little bit harder with him. Sorry."
There was space going into the turn, Alonso just tried to close the door:
Vet Alo.jpg

Schumacher was able to pass Hamilton round the outside at that same point on track without taking to grass as Hamilton didn't defend as hard.

Sch Ham.jpg

As Vortex said, I think it's just different peoples' perceptions of different drivers.

Veering slightly back on topic ;)

As previously mentioned, Mark seems to be more settled in the car at this point of the season, this point got me thinking.

Didn't Seb have a cracked chassis at one point (2010?) - changed his chassis and said that he preferred one of them more? I might be making all this up as they old grey matter is rapidly turning to mush.

Good find Greenman,had me and my family tapping our heads and rubbing our tummies simultaneously .
Always liked the Mark Hughes technical unbiased approach.

It appears Sebastian Vettel's demise has been greatly exaggerated then. He must have found that 'magic button' again.

Its good to see Mark back on form in these first four races though.

Anyone got their laptime comparrisions?

Does anyone think that now the car has been 'upgraded', things might return to the status quo for Mark? :disappointed:

Possibley Jen. I think he's back to 2010 form rather than 2011 form which is a good thing.

What I'm confused about is Vettel's reluctance to use the new upgrade last week when clearly this weekend he was absolutely on top of it.

Also a point to make about what was being discussed last week about Vettel having to have everything perfect and Webber being able to drive anything on 4 wheels. Seb has had a lot less time in the newer 'upgrade' and seems to have mastered it quicker. I'm sure Webber collecting data for him helped though.

Looks like the further development of the car has brought it right back to Vettel. Also looks like the Red Bull may now have leap-frogged McLaren.

Looks ominous now for the rest of the season. Here we go again.

Not too sure on that one Ninja - I think Mclaren were caught out by condition changes and their own stupidity although I'm with you on the fact that Vettel and Red Bull looked ominously like last year. Lets remember those Lotus had a chance though.

As for the lap times. Interesting to not that the gap between Webber and Vettel's lap time at the begining of each stint on new tyres is almost a second each time. Now I know some of that might be down to traffic but its a massive gap. We also saw him once again get the DRS distance away within the first 2 laps from the pack. It appears Vettel has a skill in getting cold/new tyres to work straight away without wrecking them.

Reports this morning that Webber and some floor damage discovered post race... which might have accounted for some of the gap... it was certainly speculated that this hindered his ability to take the fight to the Lotus... SV is a clasic front runner... he seems to find those tenths when leading a race... following on from Helmuts comments about Mark needing 4 wheels and Seb needing a lot more than that... if the RBR is harder to set up than the double diffuser models of previous seasons, then I am hopefully each race will be a challenge for SV to get it right, which in turn will provide a continuation of this classic open season...

Possibley Jen. I think he's back to 2010 form rather than 2011 form which is a good thing.

What I'm confused about is Vettel's reluctance to use the new upgrade last week when clearly this weekend he was absolutely on top of it.

Christian Horner said that it was a mutual decision to run different specs in China so they could find out which direction to go in.

Paid off for them on Sunday.

Back
Top Bottom