Mark Webber vs Sebastian Vettel

Well. He's got Vettel beat 5-4 in quali and 2-1 on race wins. He most certainly has the upper hand at this stage. If things continue in this vein I feel we may see Seb lose his cool a little. A third was enough to keep him smiling today.

Yeah and he is also 0-41 on points lost through external circumstances in the race, so yeah he really has got grip on things.

Engine blowout, NK bumping into his rear tyre cost Vettel 37 points, while in both case Webber got promoted one position giving him 4 additional points.

F1 history is littered with drivers who drove faultlessly only to have their machinery or over-exuberance at passing a back-marker cost them a result... in fact this year, I think Lewis probably knows just how many points have been squandered...

What was evident at Silverstone was that like countless times in the past three seasons, he who qualifies closer to the front and gets clean air can make a getaway from the dogfight and very wide Merc's and Ferrari's... and the guy behind pretty much needs an "external event"... i.e. a blown pit stop or a safety car to get back into the fight...

MW has a better measure of this years RB8 than he had the RB7... SV is still (in my book, and I am a MW fan) the better driver over the course of a season, but you have to take what you can get when you can get it...

All in all this season is set up for a crescendo...

Foaad

Could Webber have won the Valencia Grand Prix if not scuppered in quali and practice? Probably. It's a pointless exercise. Who's to say that the way Grosjean and Vettel were using their Renault engines wasn't a contributing factor to their failure? I can't say that or otherwise. This is motor racing and you play the cards you're dealt and try to play them well. Sure, Vettel has had some misfortune, but he is not the only one by a long way.

It's a lot different to the goal-line technology argument in football, for example, where what could have been, was and should have been.

I think Webber is having a fantastic season. Good on him.

Still think Seb will get him in the end though because barring Germany and Brazil all the remainding tracks have always suited Seb better than Mark - if you go by 2010/2009 form anyways.

Back
Top Bottom