Mark Webber vs Sebastian Vettel

ExtremeNinja

Karting amateur
Contributor
Given the astounding success and quality of debate on the McLaren teammates versus thread, I thought it was about time we had somewhere to debate the respective quality of the two Red Bull drivers.

To kick off, this season s pointing towards Webber being a much better 'natural' driver whereas Vettel is perhaps a better 'technical' driver. I think I can identify much more with the former.

What do you all think?

I think it's fair to say that Webber is getting preferential treatment at Red Bull so far this season. Choice of the new parts (he had the new exhaust in China for example), first pit stops, etc.. It's no wonder Seb is struggling to keep up this year, I'd suggest Dietrich Mateschitz needs to get involved to organise things in a fairer way in the team...

I think it's fair to say that Webber is getting preferential treatment at Red Bull so far this season. Choice of the new parts (he had the new exhaust in China for example), first pit stops, etc.. It's no wonder Seb is struggling to keep up this year, I'd suggest Dietrich Mateschitz needs to get involved to organise things in a fairer way in the team...
Why would RBR do that? What would be the point of highlighting/helping their number two to the disadvantage of their very own 2 x WDC?

Why would RBR do that? What would be the point of highlighting/helping their number two to the disadvantage of their very own 2 x WDC?

I think you missed the satire. I'm sure FB was about to suggest that Dietrich Mateschitz (aka Big Diet) ought to personally oversee content delivery on thier website too.

There is a rumour going round that Mateschitz is organising what is going on. He apparently went round all the other teams after Malaysia apologising for Vettel's outburst. Initially Horner said that it was Karthykeyan's fault but following Mateshitz giving him a talking to he has recanted. Horner also kissed Webber on both cheeks after today's race.

Edited for clarity.

Okay guys, enough now. The satire is to be expected, but let's not milk it. The purpose of this thread is entirely genuine.

Sorry, Ninja, but I think we've got that out of the way!

Needless to say, I am impressed with Webber this year, he seems to be far happier with the RB8 than his team-mate. How often did he qualify ahead of Vettel last year? Three already this. Not bad...

I've always been a closet Webber fan and am really pleased to see he is getting results this year - it is possible 2012 was destined to be his swansong but if he keeps going in the same vein, the finger might be out on his ear. Old heads and all that!

I doubt Red Bull will be getting rid of Vettel any time soon, but Webber could keep his 2013 seat. It'd be nice to see him continue in F1 because he has been a good driver over the years, and might have been better if he could start a race as well as some of his peers. He's had an exceptional career when you consider he's been managed as one of Briatore's unfavoured sons.

I'm not sure about more 'natural' driver. He's certainly had a better start to the season than Seb.

They've been team-mates now for 58 races - in 47 if those races they've both finsihed the race and in only 15 of these has Webber finished in front of Vettel. Remembering that one of those was Brazil you have to say the stats are def swinging in Vettels favor here.

Interestingly 6 of these 15 happened in 2009 their first year together and the last time you can say that the car wasn't the fastest in the field - 2 of them coming in the first 2 races and 5 coming in the first 9 races.

Maybe we can conclude from this that if the car is not to his liking it takes Vettel a little bit longer to work his way round it but when he does he tends to get the superior results.

Will be interesting to see how this one unfolds as Mark does seem to have the bit between his teeth.

I think things might change after the fly away races have been run and the next test days are completed. I think it likely that if Red Bull are going to modify the car it will be to suit Vettel's driving style rather than Webber's. What is plain is that other teams have passed Red Bull this year and they are going to have to work bloody hard to get back to anything close to the dominance they had in 2011. I wonder if this is shades of 2008 for Ferrari and Mclaren where they were so focused on winning the titles they forgot to put sufficient development into the new car and the rule changes?

What would concern me, as someone who enjoys watching Vettel race, would be if Mark were creaming the field and Sebastian was being left in his wake. I don't think that's the case, simply he not adapting to the new car very well. I'm sure normal service will be resumed by mid-season.

Or we may be looking at the worst title defence since Jody Scheckter...

Or we may be looking at the worst title defence since Jody Scheckter...

Erm, I think Seb's title defence already comprises a 2nd place, so Messers Piquet, Hill and Villeneuve might hope not to question that one. (And of course Prost and Mansell did not defend.)

Back
Top Bottom