Mark Webber vs Sebastian Vettel

I think that is a better record than both Seb and Lewis, not to mention a few others who have been around for far less time.

[EDIT] In fact, Button took out two race win contenders in one race last year, only to go on and win it himself. ;)

Now now ninj :snigger:

Seriously I think all drivers have been guilty of having a rush of blood now and then...

If button had have been slightly more patient in Malaysia the chances are he would have won the race..

I think that is a better record than both Seb and Lewis,
Agreed, but again I'd suggest they were dodgy offence rather dodgy defence. In fairness I recall a great scrap between Hamilton and Webber where Webber was clearly quicker but using rather nice racecraft Hamilton swapped places with him multiple times until Webber finally got away. My point on that specific scrap was that both gave each other room when necessary and neither hit each other or pushed each other off the track, seems like a cunning strategy (unless you're slower and you know it ;)).

Agreed also. I don't think there is any reason to justify labelling Webber as a dodgy driver. A nuisance to his competitors maybe, but that's no bad thing.

Like I said before the only thing dodgy about Webber is his truly bad starts he really does need to sort that out..It can't be the car because Seb's starts are usually pretty good..

..It can't be the car because Seb's starts are usually pretty good..
Of course that's working on the premise that both cars really are all but identical [insert conspiracy theory here] but in principle I agree, its not clear to me how he had the problem so regularly, seems like something he should have spent a lot of effort fixing.

I think last year he lost something like 20 places from bad starts alone 5 of those were at spa, when you consider most people try and gain places from the start it is a pretty poor record..

I'm sure someone have the exact figures somewhere on start gains and losses, for comparison.

I don't know what you mean by "not in a good way" I have never seen Webber do anything untoward when people are trying to overtake him..

This surely wasn't a...good way...on Webber's part, at his manner of blocking Alonso at Malaysia in 2005 or 2006. It reminds me somewhat of Schumacher's terrible move on Barrichello at Hungary in 2010.

I suspect a lot of people will disagree with me here... but I have no problem with that kind of driving. He pushed him to the edge of the track and no further. As long as the defending driver doesn't slowly drift towards the pit wall and close the gap then I don't mind it because it's still the edge of the track. I don't see why you should be able to push a driver to the edge of the track where there is run-off area on the outside but then not be able to do it on the main straight, it's just inconsistent.

I suspect a lot of people will disagree with me here... but I have no problem with that kind of driving. He pushed him to the edge of the track and no further. As long as the defending driver doesn't slowly drift towards the pit wall and close the gap then I don't mind it because it's still the edge of the track. I don't see why you should be able to push a driver to the edge of the track where there is run-off area on the outside but then not be able to do it on the main straight, it's just inconsistent.

Well Webber did it to Massa in Fuji 2008 the exact same way Schumacher did, but nothing was made of it.

Will try and find the clip.

What is worse... a driver trying his utmost to stop you from passing (the it's just not cricket" syndrome)... but you get around anyway... or the bonehead who brakes at the 40m mark from 285km/h and spears your sidepod (aka "my PussyCat Doll g/f not liking me right now" defence...aka "why is Jenson beating me when I am the Tom Cruise of F1" ?)

Yes and you haven't been judged to have left the track until all four wheels have crossed that white line ....

I think MW was surprised at how fast the Renault got on him in that move... he clearly moved across to block but the Renault was alongside at the point... it is Barca and you are normally lucky to half way alongside braking at T1...

If you look at the Alonso/Vettel incident you will see that there was quite a large gap between the two cars. When Webber overtook Alonso in the previous race (Spa) Webber had the guts to (and the confidence in Alonso) to get close in to keep all four wheels on the circuit.

I think it’s a matter of perception depending on the driver...

_55296348_vettel_on_alonso640.jpg

..if it had been Schumacher rather than Alonso say, I feel opinions on this particular move would be very different.

Back
Top Bottom