Jos' Weather Thread

No! the grip on the F1 wet tyre is much greater than 2.1 mm. 2.1mm is not alot. The rain in Malaysia was more like 9-10 mm.
Why so pedantic! It's in the unwritten laws of common sense of the rain increasing! Just gang up on me, I shall not be moved!

The wet tyre has tread depth of 5mm - it can withstand standing water of 5mm before aquaplaning. For comparison, the intermediate tyre tread is 3.

The wet tyre has tread depth of 5mm - it can withstand standing water of 5mm before aquaplaning. For comparison, the intermediate tyre tread is 3.
They started on inters, so when the race started it was 2.1mm or more or less, it then grew, like many guess being Malaysia then it dried out!

I don't understand you Emjoe, I infer that your statement means that tread depth of 5mm can cope with 5mm of standing water. Not that they can cope with 5mm of rainfall.
It's no big deal.

I would have thought the tread pattern would effect how deep of water it can get grip though as well as the tread depth. A very efficient tread pattered would move water faster for the same tread depth then a poor pattern would.

I don't understand you Emjoe, I infer that your statement means that tread depth of 5mm can cope with 5mm of standing water. Not that they can cope with 5mm of rainfall.
It's no big deal.
Jos said that there was 2mm of rainfall, I was saying that the wet tyres can cope with 5mm of standing water, and that probably more rain was falling, therefore (hopefully) proving him wrong.

Back
Top Bottom