Jenson Button signs for McLaren

Button versus Brawn - The contract fight!

• Yes - Should Jenson win the WDC he deserves a similar level of remuneration as previous winners

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Re: Button's Brawn Contract

I would presume Santander will pick up Kimi's wage bill at McLaren so he will "only" get €25 million (£22.7 million at todays exchange rate). Unless of course they have to pay up his Ferrari contract and pay his wage bill at McLaren which would then work out to €50 million (£45.5 million).

Button is reported to be after £8 million which is equivalent to €8.8 million, so about a third of what Kimi and Fernando are thought to be worth.

To add some other brain boggling numbers; FA is reported to be getting between £12 & 18 million currently at Renault, Lewis Hamilton on £10 million at McLaren (although other sites claim he is on €25/£22.7 million) with the potential for £25 million bonus if he wins the WDC, Schumie was being paid £30 million in his last year before retiring.

All these numbers exclude, of course, personal sponsorship deals & point and wins bonus payments (which, to his credit, Button didn't take this year to help Brawn out).

http://www.f1network.net/boards/read/s491.htm?936,10565609

The more number you hear the more the answer should be "No". But for all racers!

It's no wonder that driver's/team's morals have found their price when such number are bandied around. Even Piquet being pushed to a mere $1M because Flavio had effectively put him on notice - your scruples are bound to find flexibility at the opportunity of getting another year of that paltry sum.

Taken with Lewis becomming a tax exile after one year in F1...

I know there's an element of danger money, the pricing of a limited career and the fact that few drivers make it this far after an expensive career, but still. I think Kimi was the 5th highest paid sportsman in the world this year in a sport thats panicking about cost!

We all bang on about the greed of Bernie/CVC, about the corrupt nature of certain individuals, but all the top drivers are overpaid which does give their employers unreasonable leverage. I'm starting to understand the short :censored: with his complaints about cost, it's not just him. It's also starting to make sense why Blue Max has to distance himself from everyone else's opinions because there is such a risk they are corrupted.

Don't get me wrong, F1 without the guys who got it this far would have a chance of moving forward once again, but I really am getting sympathy with a lot they say.

I actuall think Button's current salary and salary ask is more where the drivers should be, Schui was an exception, but sill ott. Maybe FOTA should taske a lead with the Drivers Association and perform a little collective bargaining, then the need for the drivers to pay commissions to their grotty little managers ... :givemestrength:

Whilst I agree, you can't really blame the drivers.

They're only "worth" what a team is willing to pay so in the end it's the teams who set the salaries.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply I hold the drivers responsible, I personally think it's a legacy of the boom with all this financial services money sloshing around F1 looking for a home, I think good business management went out the window.

I think the real cost of this period is the unreasonable pressure that such financial rewards place on the drivers/teams, and of course the need to find this money from elsewhere in a changing world. It's just one element of what makes teams focus on commerce rather than racing, if the delta between one experienced racing driver and another was lessened I believe you may see some life coming back where drivers queued for the team that inspired (for whatever reason) rather than the one with splendidly deep pockets.

I still think Button should be paid what the team can afford, but if they can afford £8m, then that is what he should be paid, especilly if he wins the WDC (considering he didn't get any bonus payments this year).

Looks like Ross Brawn is playing hard ball.

Button's manager Richard Goddard told the Daily Star Sunday that he is "shocked" Brawn is refusing to offer anything more than a slight pay rise.

"We aren't being greedy," he said. "When we signed the deal last year, we did so in the knowledge that if all went well for the team, things would also go well for Jenson."

Team owner and boss Brawn hinted that the impasse could lead to Button leaving the team after November's Abu Dhabi GP.

"Those decisions have not yet been made but if we have a world champion who, for whatever reason, leaves the team, that's a shame," said the Briton.

Can we start a Schumacher to Brawn rumour? I bet Mercedes would love that.

They always did refer to Ross Braun as a master tactician, I guess they're right.

Don't you just love the manager's quote though

"When we signed the deal last year, we did so in the knowledge that if all went well for the team, things would also go well for Jenson."

and yet he doesn't seem to be able to lay his hands on that agreement. Worth his weight in gold!

What that tells me is Brawn thinks it's more to do with the car than driver so if his car is as good next year then any other driver with similar skill will be able to do the same again.

Button must be wondering where it all went wrong for him after hearing about the deals Lewis, Kimi and Alonso have signed.

I was trying to think of a driver to compare Jenson to recently and came up with Alan Jones. Pretty much a "journey man" until he dropped into the Williams team in 1978 (he managed a single win in a Shadow in 1977). World Champion in 1980 in a car which was the class of the field but pushed hard by a young upstart called Piquet later in the season. Jones then put in a few good performances in 1981 but without the car advantage struggled and then retired.

I won't mention his "comeback" as that was just embarrasing (oops, I just did!)

Brogan said:
What that tells me is Brawn thinks it's more to do with the car than driver so if his car is as good next year then any other driver with similar skill will be able to do the same again.

Button must be wondering where it all went wrong for him after hearing about the deals Lewis, Kimi and Alonso have signed.

Sad but true, but I would have thought there'd be some revenue implications from the sponsors of having the No1 car on the No1 team.

This should potentially give Jenson one season of a guaranteed contract somewhere, and although I agree that RB reckons his win is more to do with the car than the driver, if he thinks his car will be as good next year, you'd have thought he'd look to lock in the No1.

I take it as there being two possible scenarios:

1. He wants Jenson to wake up and try to win the F1 championship, rather that just be in the lead at the end. The "be in the lead at the end" appoach to stress management lost Lewis one series and nearly lost him the next;

2. He perceives 2010 as being far more competitive and therefore would probably prefer a young hugry driver and a real quality set-up driver, which would imply Rubens and A.N.Other, but feels that he owes Jenson something for greasing the wheels into 2009.

Reality is there's a third scenario that he is following and I don't have a clue what it is!

The current rumours surrounding Rubens' move to Williams suggests he will be on $8 million per year, 4 times what he's currently earning at Brawn.

Who exactly are Brawn targeting for next year if they are insisting on paying such relatively low salaries?

Brogan said:
Who exactly are Brawn targeting for next year if they are insisting on paying such relatively low salaries?

At this rate, it will be a pay per drive unknown.

If that's correct it seems that Williams were happy to pay a decent wage for Rubens then and they obviously believe he can still do a job.

Makes you wonder how Nico is going to fair going in the other direction. Obviously we can't begin to speculate on pay but I imagine he thinks he's taking a step up in terms of race performance and the pay isn't so important at this stage of his career.

A wage cap is fine in principle but it only works if all teams agree to it.

If Brawn are going to place such low limits on their driver salaries then they're going to find themselves priced out of the market fairly quickly.

I wonder if Mercedes have agreed to pay Rosberg's salary? Could be funny if they are paying more than Brawn are paying Jenson. LOL

It's just a thought but obviously Button is holding out for a deal because he thinks he can use being a world champion to lever more pay out of the team. Now what happens if all the wheels fall off the Button wagon and he dosn't cross that final line as WDC.

It now seems almost certain that Rubens is on his way to Williams and that Nico will be going in the other direction. With Nico a more than suitable number one driver could Brawn ditch Button and find themselves a younger and perhaps more Mercedes friendly face?

If he's not careful Button could find himself surpless to requirements again.

Brogan said:
A wage cap is fine in principle but it only works if all teams agree to it.

If Brawn are going to place such low limits on their driver salaries then they're going to find themselves priced out of the market fairly quickly.

However on the flip side, if you're pretty sure on winning the title with them, you will reap HUGE rewards in sponsorship.

A massive gamble though........ deal or no deal?

Moreover, according to the Daily Telegraph, Button – who allegedly had to fly on budget airlines to all the races this year and washed his own overalls in-between grands prix, expenses for which he was not allowed to claim – is far from the only member of Brawn GP unhappy with his financial situation, with a number of senior engineering staff similarly displeased with their bonuses.

Looks like it is not just Jenson that RB is playing hardball with... Maybe he is planning to design, build, maintain and drive the car himself next year just to prove how bloody good he really is.

http://www.racetechmag.com/news/newsstorycrash.asp?id=153827&menu=3

Button has been spoken to by Mclaren, as they have not yet been able to secure Kimi.

Although they have probably spoken to every driver, whose position has not been confirmed for 2010.

One team, last two World Champions, both British, British constructor. (Don't mention the German engine!) Paint that McLaren green!

Back
Top Bottom