Jenson Button signs for McLaren

Button versus Brawn - The contract fight!

• Yes - Should Jenson win the WDC he deserves a similar level of remuneration as previous winners

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Re: Button's Brawn Contract

When asked about the chances of Button going to Mclaren, Ecclestone said:

""It would not be ideal for F1 to have two world champions in the same team but Brawn and Button are probably just sparring at the moment and something will be worked out"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what would Hamilton and Raikonnen in the same team be? And why does Bernie feel he has to shove his nose into something that's none of his business? It's a team's decision as to who drives for them and the only other vested interest I can think of is the FIA (i.e. does the driver have a superlicense)

And why does Bernie feel he has to shove his nose into something that's none of his business?

Because that's what Bernie does. Bernie is involved in every single area of the sport with all that entails. For one example read this months motorsport. Bernie was heavily involved in bringing Mansell back from America and getting him into a Williams and then that disasterours spell at Mclaren. In the article Mansell states "no comment" when asked about Bernies involvement.

To Bernie it's all about keeping the show on the road. So unfortunatly who drives for who is not always the teams buisness alone.

Doesn't this smack more of Button's management trying to force Brawn's hand than a serious interest from either him or McLaren? From a marketing perspective having two British drivers would not be good for McLaren and I can't believe Mercedes would be too keen on the idea either. Perhaps the reports of Mercedes buying into Brawn means McLaren are that worried what Mercedes think anymore?

Undoubtedly, it's not much more than sword rattling on the part of Jenson's management. Saying that, if he was offered a serious deal, I wonder if he'd turn it down?

In one respect a new world champion has a right to expect a better deal now that he is WDC. Is he being offered that with Brawn? It would seem so as even if he isn't being paid up front he has the abliity to sort out his own sponsorshp. Given some of the deals that sport stars sort out for themselves Button could make more than enough from that deal.

The next question is do Brawn need Button in their car? That's a tricky one because as a team they won the constructors championship and are going to have little trouble in getting attracting sponsors next year but at the same time they will lower there value by not having the number one on the front of their cars.

If Button goes to Mclaren I believe that he will be battered by Lewis. One of the major factors in Buttons WDC this year was the fact that Rubens couldn't keep up. That will be a different story if he does go to Mclaren. Will Button really want to expose himself to that or is he content to make as much money as he can while he can. All this does is confirms in my opinion that Button is more interested in making money now than being a WDC and returning the faith that Brawn/Honda have shown in him.

cider_and_toast said:
All this does is confirms in my opinion that Button is more interested in making money now than being a WDC and returning the faith that Brawn/Honda have shown in him.

I don't think that Button will be a WDC again to be honest! I doubt Brawn will build a good enough car, and it looked at the end of last season that McLaren and Red Bull would be the teams to beat in 2010, never writing off Ferrari. And I can't see Button beating Hamilton, Massa, Alonso or Vettel in the same machinery.

I reckon Button would get more joy from the scraps from Hamilton's dinner table than the full Brawn banquet, but I have been proved wrong before!

Vodafone wanting Button is not really a suprise. 2 Brit drivers in Mclaren would be double publicity for Vodafone.

As for the Merc story, these rumours have been doing the rounds for far too long for their to be no truth in them. I've been trying to think why Merc are so keen to jump out of the Mclaren deal and can't quite put my finger on it. Something must have broken down in their working relationship. Perhaps Merc have been trying to increase their stake in Mclaren to have an increased say and have been unable to. By purchasing 75 percent of Brawn they will then have the controlling stake and it's their team and their rules.

Merc may also be aware that the image of Mclaren has taken a few knocks in the last couple of years and perhaps that has helped make their minds up. Also as GM pointed out, Mclaren are using their own engine in their new supercar which will be in competition with some of Mercs ranges.

Rosberg/Heidfeld - Mercedes plus Ross Brawn sounds like a pretty good team to me.

Meanwhile over at Mclaren they must be a little bit concerned. They started the season with a lemon of a car, their strongest card was KERS and that's been taken out of the game and they are about to loose biggest share holder. It must be worrying times at Woking. Is the balance of F1 power about to shift again?

Is it just my interpretation of does it look like Button's managment leaves a bit to be desired?

"If Brawn are going to sell the team, and there is going to be a big influx of money, then why shouldn't Jenson be making some of that?" he said.

Taken from Link

You have to question why he didn't look to put a contract in place last year which had some guarantees if Button was successful and, if I recall correctly, hadn't Button just signed quite a lucrative 3 year deal with Honda just before they pulled out? If there was a contract why didn't his managment insist on Honda paying this up and then Jenson wouldn't have had to worry what Brawn were going to pay him.

Perhaps I'm missing something?

Link to Button's Honda deal Honda

Brawn claim to have offered Jenson £8 million to stay with them...

'However, it was suggested yesterday by authoritative sources that Button has been offered the full £8 million and is trying to get more. Brawn managers are irritated that the new world champion seems to believe the advent of Mercedes means money is no object.'

http://planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3213_5699694,00.html

How dangerous a game is his management team playing? Should we start a Button to NASCAR thread?

I'd say not as dangerous as Kimi is playing. Kimi is the only WDC in the current field to win the championship by default, not exactly awe-inspiring stuff..

Jenson will probably end up at McLaren. Not the best move for him, but it will be interesting to see how he does against Lewis, I wouldn't write him off straight away though, it really would depend on the car..

Back
Top Bottom