Jenson Button signs for McLaren

Button versus Brawn - The contract fight!

• Yes - Should Jenson win the WDC he deserves a similar level of remuneration as previous winners

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
JYS and John Watson aren't convinced Button has made the right decision

JYS: "It's a mistake and will be like walking into the lion's den for Jenson,"

Watson: "It's hard to understand what it is about McLaren which Jenson Button wants to engage in."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8366570.stm

It does, on the face of it, appear that Button's motivation was more about money than where he will be most comfortable but Brawn had the opportunity to keep him and, to some extent, forced his hand. I suppose only time will tell if this is a good move.

From the various leaks/announcements/comments it doesn't seem that Brawn actually offered Jenson any less money overall, I believe it's the multi/3 year contract that did it.

JB is currently WDC, but still there's huge speculation about his driving ability, I think he probably received another 12 month deal from Brawn/Mercedes and felt that it may well not put the speculation to rest. Even though I think a move to McLaren is risky (at best), I can't help thinking it's the contract duration that got him to move. At 28, a 3 year contract will allow him to show whether he really is worth a punt, whilst letting the sport calm down and allow genuine long-term seats to be discussed.

Filtering everything, I think it was a major risk, but with the various options that seem to have been discussed I think it was probably his safest career move to allow him to keep competing in F1 for 2011 onwards

You're probably not far wrong there Geoff.

If he had stayed with Brawn/Mercedes and failed to deliver then he would have struggled for a seat in 2011.
Now his future is fairly secure until 2013 so even if he doesn't do too well, he will still get paid for 3 more years.

But if he's confident enough to think he can beat Lewis, in Lewis' team, then why not confident enough to think he'd do well in the reigning champion's team (that now have big manufacturer backing) to get a drive the following year?

Quite a few sour grapes from Brawn/Mercedes over Jenson's move to McLaren.

Jenson will not be doing anything at all for McLaren until the end of this calendar year," Brawn chief executive officer Nick Fry told AUTOSPORT. "And if he does, we will be looking on it very dimly.

"He didn't have any obligations to us for 2010, but there are issues with regards to the signing process on which we are in discussion with him at the moment.

"There are clear constraints on what Jenson can do between now and the end of the year, which we will be rigorously enforcing."

Looks like there's no love lost on either side.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80225

I think he's made the right move, going by the reaction of Nick Fry / Brawn. I wouldn't want to be in a team like that.

Brogan said:
Quite a few sour grapes from Brawn/Mercedes over Jenson's move to McLaren.

Jenson will not be doing anything at all for McLaren until the end of this calendar year," Brawn chief executive officer Nick Fry told AUTOSPORT. "And if he does, we will be looking on it very dimly.

"He didn't have any obligations to us for 2010, but there are issues with regards to the signing process on which we are in discussion with him at the moment.

"There are clear constraints on what Jenson can do between now and the end of the year, which we will be rigorously enforcing."

Looks like there's no love lost on either side.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80225

Normally I'd agree with you, but in this case Jenson is now the WDC, and so I guess Brawn feel it's within their rights to expect any promo appearances etc to be associated with them, and not McLaren, whilst he is still under contract. For example, you'd be pretty miffed if McLaren start having photo shoots and promo vids with him driving a McLaren with no.1 on it, when the WDC was won in your car and not the one from Woking.

come to think of it, i think the visit button made to the mclaren factory basically sealed his fate when it comes to brawn/mercedes. if i was in charge of brawn and my driver goes having fun at another team's factory, i would be seriously not amused.

i dont know, but something does not add up.

Oh, come on Merc, grow up. Why can't they just finish contracts in Nov/Dec? What is this period of Alonso/Button not being able to wear Ferarri/McLaren shirts gaining anyone? So McLaren have nicked the ?1 car? Big deal...

(Btw, my solution would be to number: 1 Button 2 (Merc I) 3 (Merc II) 4 Vettel 5 Webber 6 Hamilton then as it is...)

This rubbish ain't aiding anyone or anything. Button's a McLaren driver as much as Mercedes is an F1 team. Remember Mercedes' marketing department don't deserve car ?1 for a Honda winning the Championship any more than do McLaren's!

This is, on the surface, an odd move by Button.

Looking a bit further, to some of the recent quotes coming out of the Brawn/Mercedes camp, it seems there are some peculiar forces at work here. And by 'peculiar forces', I mean Mercedes.

Let's take Nick Fry - a seemingly pleasant and intelligent guy - for his word here that

" [ I ] don't think that it was a financial issue whatsoever."

If this deal is not financially motivated from Button's side, why then has he left? Is Nick Fry somehow intimating there were other factors involved? Namely, the influence of Mercedes? From where I'm standing, that seems to be the issue here, about some level of involvement from Mercedes that perhaps did not go down well in the Button camp. Granted, you can argue that by jumping ship to McLaren he's still sleeping with the devil - albeit one with it's horns sanded.

When asked directly about Mercedes and their apparent lack of desire to keep Button, he says

"Mercedes-Benz have purchased our team but they want the team to continue to be run as it has been ... Ross will be the person who makes the principle recommendation."

Not exactly a seal of ratification, is it?

I wonder whether perhaps Mercedes' long term ambition has hindered the short term goal of keeping Button at the team. It's accepted that if successful, the logical star driver in their sights is Sebastian Vettel. By tying Button down to a new, rather expensive contract they may have felt their goal of having Vettel in the team by 2011 would be tarnished somewhat. With Rosberg in tow, perhaps they felt the more sensible option would be to let Button go with the long term view to having Rosberg and Vettel as their preferred driver line up for 2011.

And if this is the case - and admittedly, this is purely based on the inner workings of my imagination - then surely the plan would be perfect right now? Bringing in Heidfeld or Raikkonen for a 1 year deal could be a sensible option while they wait to make their move for Vettel.

But this theory doesn't explain the poorly judged comments from Fry, including this gem

"... I think Jenson is going to have to up his game"

Which can lead you to another theory here - were Brawn slightly disappointed in Button's results? Did they feel the car had more to offer during the times when Button struggled?

It's an almost endlessly fascinating example of team, corporate and racing driver dynamics in which egos and opinions collide to form a kind of political whirlwind.

I'd just like to quickly offer what I think will happen next year regarding Button's move. I come back to the first line of this post - this is an odd move. Button's not known to make bold, successful career moves, but this could be one - depending on how big you want your yardstick to be. If he beats Hamilton over the course of a season, he will undeniably have made a huge impact on the sport and will have shifted people's opinions on him to an almost unimaginable level.

If he gets close to Hamilton, he will suffer the mocking taunt of a British media compelled by this story, eager to find out which of the two is better, but he will not shape opinions, and will largely go down as an average driver who found himself in a great car circa 2009.

If, however, Hamilton trounces him, it's hard to see Button ever being a McLaren driver for too long, and the next lamb will stand up for slaughter at the Hamilton butchery. In this scenario, he'll go down as an overrated driver who made the wrong career moves under poor advice.

I can't wait for the next season to come - it'll be great.

My prediction? Option #2, please.

thanks enja for a good post and some interesting views.

the reason why i think it does not add up, is slightly different though.

look at LH for instance, youngest WDC ever and the year after was not good at all, ok, partly due to the car but still. it was not what was expected.

now we have jenson button, WDC too and he goes to macca. what is there for him? it will be hard to defend his tittle, macca is fully geared to LH so there's simply not enough place for a 'second' number 1. basically, to me, it looks like jense by this move, has given up any hope of retaining his WDC crown.

why oh why?

the reason cannot be sportive cos the move does not make any sportive sense, on the contrary actually. so whats left? money is whats left.

what is more interesting then a biggg paycheck for one year? a big paycheck for 3 years!

drivers are not that noble when it comes to motives for moves and i myself most seriously doubt the move had anything to do with wanting to be in the same team as LH, the best team and blablabla. money is a pretty strong motivator and i think macca basically have bought jenson button.

there will be no change at macca next season. the only difference will be it will now be jenson button at the back of the field instead of heikki. and dont forget, jense was at the macca factory before mercedes purchased the team! so if there is anyone playing games, its jenson button!

i think this article sums it up pretty well

http://planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3213_5704973,00.html

remember, mercedes is no longer a partner of macca so moeny is needed.

If anything, McLaren are financially better off since Mercedes announced their withdrawal.

They still have big sponsorship deals, free engines but also a load of extra cash from Mercedes.

McLaren's signing of Button makes sense.
They wanted Kimi but Kimi obviously wanted too much money and they weren't prepared to pay it.
That left a small pool of drivers to choose from and obviously Jenson was the best of the bunch.

As for Jenson's motiviation, it is increasingly obvious that it was more to do with contract length than money.
By all accounts he was offered the same money by Brawn/Mercedes and McLaren but Brawn/Mercedes were only offering a 1 year contract. Presumably because they're looking to sign Vettel for 2011.

That being the case, Jenson took the option which guarantees* him a drive for the next 3 years.

* Unless he screws up by trying to blackmail the team.

bro, a very serious and troubling thing has happened!

i agree with most of your post :) apart from the fact that i am sure jenson would be better of staying at mercedes. but we'll see.

bogaTYR said:
bro, a very serious and troubling thing has happened!

i agree with most of your post :)
There's always a first time :D ;)

apart from the fact that i am sure jenson would be better of staying at mercedes. but we'll see.
Quite possibly.
It all depends how well he does compared to Lewis.

Who knows, with the lack of refuelling next year he might do better due to his supposed ability to look after his tyres better?

Brogan said: They still have big sponsorship deals, free engines but also a load of extra cash from Mercedes.

Isn't the Mercedes pull out going to cost McLaren a lot of money as they have to buy back the 40% share Merc have of the McLaren business. I don't know how much McLaren is worth these days but I would presume Mercedes will expect the market rate.

According to the press statements from Mc and Merc if I have read it correctly, Mclaren are to buy back the Merc shares over the next two years finishing in 2011. That way they don't have to fork it out in one lump sum. I should imagine that it will be at an agreed fee that will include the supply of engines until 2012 (I think there is a general agreement until 2015 but I can't see that happening to be honest).

Back
Top Bottom