Future F1 Grands Prix

F1Yorkshire It's always difficult to tell from mock ups in games like that (partly because the driving standard is a lot worse than what we see on race weekends!) but if that is indeed what the Mexico circuit will be like I think it looks pretty dreadful. Endless slow slaloms/chicanes.

Just wondering, could it make sense to do Sao Paulo in June? The weather didn't seem too bad during the World Cup down in the South-East.

I really hope CVC will become more sensible while choosing Grand Prix locations: most of them in attractive Europe locations and some of them outside: Australia, Japan, USA, Mexico and Brasil.

Talking to my next door neighbours at Hockenheim it came out that they had heard rumours about a certain undersized man not being keen on Germany being included on the calendar. There are problems with funding and uncertainty most years. When our ways parted on Monday morning they said that they hoped to continue our acquaintance in two years time, but that they fear the race may not take place.

Has the desire to 'save' money disappeared then?

Logistically, sticking to any one continent for 'their' races saves money - flitting from here, there and everywhere is extremely expensive.

3 or 4 races in the Americas, given that the weather is totally different from top to bottom would be interesting!!

Has the desire to 'save' money disappeared then?
/QUOTE]

------------------------------------------- T

hat's precisely what strikes me as so hypocritical about the choice of measures taken to save costs in F1.
Engine freeze and near-absence of in-season testing? So that the smaller teams badly in need of sponsorship have no chance of catching once they fall behind?
Pretty much the other side of the coin, and in my humble view a much bigger factor to inequality among teams than the potential for bigger teams to increase their advantage during a season because of unlimited development.

Very simple fact is, there are now less teams in F1 than there were 20 years or so ago in the days of unlimited testing. The world's economy back then was in recession in the early nineties too, so backers were no more plentiful then either.

That's enough to make me think that current and currently-proposed cost-cutting exercises in F1 are are purely PR-orientated and are doing absolutely nothing even the playing field or attract new teams, and in fact quite the opposite.

Still, I'm sure Bernie can go and seek to run some other Grand Prix on the other sideof the world where grandstand single tickets are worth 12 months' wages to any of the locals and tell everyone how F1 is perfect for that venue because its government pay for it all and so on...

Last edited:
Conformation that we will be Baku in the USSR

Error.png

Why the juddering heck have they decided to call it the European Grand Prix? If they want to raise the profile of Azerbaijan, then the Azeri GP or Azerbaijan GP would make more sense, surely?

Time for a revised calendar:

March 15 - Australia
March 22 or 29 - Malaysia
April 5 or 12 - Bahrain
April 19 or 26 - China
May 10 - Spain
May 24 - Monaco
June 7 - Canada
June 14 - New York/Jersey
June 21 or 28 - Austria - announced as the 21st, but the New Jersey GP could force it back a week
July 5 - Britain
July 19 - Germany
July 26 - Hungary
August 23 - Belgium
September 6 - Italy
September 20 - Singapore
September 27 - Japan
October 11 - Russia?
October 18 - Abu Dhabi?
November 1 - USA
November 8 - Mexico
November 22 - Brazil