Future F1 Grands Prix

It's nice to see that one part of the Sochi circuit has some tarmac on but it rather looked that this small section was alost the only part whown. Is it smoke and mirrors again>

Is this business model actually working? What benefits have Turkey, Korea, India, Bahrain and Abu Dhabi actually provided for F1?

Money - the root of all evil

Each one was prepared to pay a premium to Bernie

- Korea realised it could not keep up with Bernie's demands

- Turkey - great circuit but unfortunately will be remembered for politically embarassing Bernie

- India - a boring circuit and for the elite whilst the rest of the area is filled with poverty

- Abu Dhabi - apart from a lack of overtaking spots - as a venue is fantastic

- Bahrain - somewhat out dine by Abu Dhabi and its political troubles dont help. changing to a night race as helped

Just as a pointer as to how much F1 seems increasingly determined to turn its back on its european grassroots, 30 years ago there were 11 european races on the calendar out of 16.
Today there are 8 out of 19, and that number is set decrease ever further.

Reminds me of how NASCAR has been turning its back on its Southern grassroots and visiting near identical mile and a half ovals close to large population centers. Very similar to F1 leaving its European roots for the Tilke-dromes abroad.

As more and more races get crammed into the calendar, each becomes proportionally less important to the Championships...

i dont think there is room for 23 gps in a season from March to October - i think some races will have to be dropped

_ Monza seems to have fallen out of favour with Bernie

-New Jersey seems to be the one that is beginning to disappoint bernie

It all
Just as a pointer as to how much F1 seems increasingly determined to turn its back on its european grassroots, 30 years ago there were 11 european races on the calendar out of 16.
Today there are 8 out of 19, and that number is set decrease ever further.

Its all about the money - if the emerging and new markets can offer Bernie money when Europe can't he is not going to say no to them

I think 20 is the official max, but if the majority of teams agree then there can be more races.

If there is the standard 2 week gap between races the close season would be 10 weeks long. The design of a new car could be quite a headache, presumably there could not be any major changes to the car specs.

Based on announced and already known races and dates, here is a provisional 2015 calendar:

Red dates are >90% likely

March 15 - Australia
March 22 or 29 - Malaysia
April 5 or 12 - Bahrain
April 19 or 26 - China
May 10 - Spain
May 24 - Monaco
June 7 - Canada
June 14 - Mexico?
June 21 - Austria - but I could see this going back a week because of Mexico
July 5 - Britain
July 19 - Germany
July 26 - Hungary
August 23 - Belgium
September 6 - Italy
September 20 - Singapore
October 4 - Japan
October 11 - Russia?
October 25 - Baku? India is done, so forget about it here.
November 1 - Abu Dhabi?
November 15 - USA
November 22 - Brazil

For some reason I thought there was quite a lot of resistance to more than 20 races. Just googled it and this was the first article I found, though not from one of the usual sources.
http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/report-f1-teams-reluctant-to-go-to-more-than-20-races-1866712

One of the main issues is staff rotation, and it'll end up costing the teams more as they feel they'll need to hire more people, which I suspect won't be offset (to the teams) from any extra revenue generated by the extra races. It seems to the TV audience that it wouldn't make much difference, but the schedule is already punishing and the logistics involved just moving everything around are pretty non-stop.

Remember they'll have alot of work to do at the circuit and, without reducing myself to stereotypes, I doubt they'll have it done for next June. Late season is more likely.

I was leaning towards Late October myself, but my decision for June is more a logistical one. With Austin and Brazil seemingly traditional November dates, it would seem odd to do 3 American races in short time. Combining a trip to Canada with Mexico would be a logical one, the did it in the past.

Plus getting a flight from Montreal to Mexico City is pretty easy

Back
Top Bottom