2021 Silly Season

FB i can name
  • Villeneuve (Jacques, Jacques)
    Fittipaldi (Wilson, Christian, Christian)
  • Brabham (Gary, David)
  • Hill (Damon)
  • Schumacher (Ralf)
  • Piquet (Nelson Jr)
  • Senna (Bruno)
are there any that I’ve missed?
Andretti (Michael)
Rosberg (Nico)
If you're not limiting yourself to relatives of World Champions, there's Manfred, Joachim and Markus Winkelhock, Satoru and Kazuki Nakajima, Jan and Kevin Magnussen, and some blokes called Jos and Max Verstappen.

Last edited:
Legs - good extra knowledge!

I started that post thinking of much lower quality drivers who had made it into F1 because of the performance of family members - Michael Andretti didn't quite qualify, as he had been dominant in the states... Rosberg, I just forgot about! :D

I was thinking of drivers who weren't very good but got there based on their names. Damon grew in to the job and won a World title, as did Jacques V. jnr and Nick O'Rosberg. Having the name probably got them in to a seat but they had some talent to back it up. I don't think that's something we can say about Bruno or the Brabham boys.

Bruno Senna wasn't even a proper Senna. He used his mother's maiden name so that he could get the kudos of the Senna family connection. Not that it made him any faster.

I was thinking of drivers who weren't very good but got there based on their names. Damon grew in to the job and won a World title, as did Jacques V. jnr and Nick O'Rosberg. Having the name probably got them in to a seat but they had some talent to back it up. I don't think that's something we can say about Bruno or the Brabham boys.
... But then where does the name end, and the privilege that that name brings begin? Nelson Piquet Jr is a case in point; he actually performed well in junior categories - but largely because he had the best of everything, as his father threw money at him!

Ayrton wasn't a proper Senna either was he?
I had a sobering thought the other day (puts my life's achievements into perspective). By the time he was my age, Ayrton Senna had won three Formula One Championships and been dead for five years!

1994 was one of those years when generations changed...

Up until 1993, the latest that the World Champion had been born was 1960 (Senna). After 1993, Schumacher won, (born 1970), with Hakkinen, (1968) Villeneuve (1971) taking most of the championships until 2004. The only exception was Hill, who was a throwback to the old era (born 1960)...

Then we had the next generational shift... Since 2005, the championship hasn't been won by anyone born before October 1979

Il_leone - on a completely unrelated point, Stroll is performing remarkably well at Racing Point - I wonder if Perez has been affected by having COVID?
Stroll should be doing well he has the 3rd fastest car in the field but his results have not shown it. You could dispute McLaren and Renault might be better cars now. Stroll always does well at Monza and seems to be a bit of Heidfeld in scoring points in tricky conditions. He did say he lost the race at the restart.

Perez - difficult to say because he was ahead in Spain before the penalty was applied. In Spa the team underperformed surprising and in Monza he seemed unable to pass the cars in front of him

This is about as blatant as Binotto and Ferrari can be in that their preferred choice to be promoted is Schumacher Jnr so really Shwartzmann and Illott need to win the title in style

Last edited:
well Il_leone its not surprising for me, lets not forget it was only 2 years that ferrari were 50/50 on kimi v leclerc & had to have their arm twisted to take Leclerc. they can often not see talent when its staring them in the face

so it begins
Screenshot_20200909-195729_Facebook.jpg

Back
Top Bottom