Poll Top 10 Drivers of 2023

F1Brits_90

World Champion
I thought id post it early because i assume most of peoples decisions arent going to change massively on abu dhabi. i was looking through the history of the site & i couldnt believe how long this has been running it looks like FB started this nearly 15 years ago. so its that time to dig out the annual tradition of the CTA driver of the year

Preferably a top 10, but its up to you top 3, top 5, top 10. the only time of the year where there really is no wrong answers. its your choice on who merits a place in your list then. thats your opinion. & its a fun way to get everyone's opinion on how the 2022 grid fared this season & who you thought impressed or who you thought disappointed.

just post it below. like F1 the top driver gets 25pts, 10th gets 1pt. the driver with most points when everyone who wants to post has posted . Will be 2022 CTA Driver of the year & join these great 6 drivers like these who have won it & the winner will be likely be announced at Christmas

Current roll of honour
2009 - Jenson Button
2010 - Lewis Hamilton
2011 - Sebastian Vettel
2012 - Fernando Alonso
2013 - Sebastian Vettel
2014 - Daniel Riccardio
2015 - Lewis Hamilton
2016 - Daniel Riccardo
2017 - Lewis Hamilton
2018 - Lewis Hamilton
2019 - Lewis Hamilton
2020 - Lewis Hamilton
2021 - Lewis Hamilton
2022 - George Russell

Last edited:
  1. Max Verstappen - He has demonstrated remarkable domination, outstripping the pace of the car (as demonstrated by his teammate)
  2. Lewis Hamilton - His consistency throughout the season has been remarkable
  3. Lando Norris - He was handed a shitbox at the beginning of the season, but since the upgrade in Austria has been the highest scorer, other than Verstappen. He should be looking at the runners up position, rather than possibly fighting for 4th in the Championship
  4. Carlos Sainz - Speed, consistency, has actually won a race
  5. Fernando Alonso - It really pains me to put Alonso so high - he has performed remarkably well. How much is down to the car being fantastic at the start of the season (and Stroll making him look better, due to being Lance Stroll, with a broken wrist)
  6. Alex Albon - The Williams is improved in 2023, but Albon has significantly outperformed his team-mate, and consistently made Q2 (and sometimes Q3). A much better return than his car deserved
  7. Oscar Piastri - Fantastic debut season, won a sprint race, like Norris, his season was transformed after getting rid of the shitbox
  8. Charles Leclerc - Great in qualifying, a little more anonymous during races
  9. George Russell - The challenging second season with Mercedes. Has not been on the same level as Hamilton this season. Finishing behind Norris, who was almost a second behind in qualifying at the first race, is embarrassing.
  10. I'm really stuck for 10th. I don't thnk this should go to either Alpines, and Tsunoda has had a distinctly average season. The Haas cars have flattered to deceive. I'm going to give this to Daniel Ricciardo, purely on the basis of his P4 qualifying in Mexico.
Perez is notable in his absence. The fact that Perez regularly failed to make Q3 in 2023 is a real indication of his performance; Verstappen has absolutely dominated the season, winning all but 3 of the races, whereas Perez has only stood on the podium in 9 races. He has less than 50% of his teammate's points in the championship.

Partly, Perez's performance illustrates just how good Verstappen has been this season; the car is not as dominant as previous dominant cars (e.g. the Williams Renaults in 1992/3 were often 2 seconds a lap faster than the next fastest car in qualifying), yet Verstappen has dominated in a way that no other driver has ever done (apart from Ascari in 52/53).

Perez is notable in his absence. The fact that Perez regularly failed to make Q3 in 2023 is a real indication of his performance; Verstappen has absolutely dominated the season, winning all but 3 of the races, whereas Perez has only stood on the podium in 9 races. He has less than 50% of his teammate's points in the championship.
you know what 2 races ago perez was out. but now im debating if he sneaks into 10th as perez has refound himself from start of the year. but too little too late

And the votes from the Midlands jury are as follows:

1) Max Verstappen - Pretty much unbeatable. Even when he had the odd moment, he came back and won with ease.
2) Alex Albon - Williams are on course for their best finish in the championship for 6 years and Albon has led the team to some strong finishes. In terms of doing the best possible with the kit at hand, he sits second on my list. Listening to the Williams technical director talking about him in Las Vegas, Albon has been instrumental in supporting Logan Sargeant's development which has started to see him move up the grid as well.
3) Fernando Alonso - Blimey it's painful to put Verstappen in first and as painful to put Alonso in third but he's kept the Aston in the top ten all season and while the car may have lost out in the development race, Alonso stil picked up podiums with it.
4) Lewis Hamilton - Another year of frustration and I have to say, I don't think the single lap speed in qualifying is really there any more but come race day, he was Mr Consistent. Was in the hunt for a very unlikely second in the championship until Perez stumbled over the line. He sits behind Alonso (but only just) for me because I think Alonso had better race weekends all round compared to Lewis who seemed to only come alive on Sundays.
5) Lando Norris - Dragged the McLaren kicking and screaming up the grid and once the team had resolved the early season issues with the car, at times ran as the second quickest driver on the track.
6) Carlos Sainz - His consistency brought home the points for Ferrari and took the only non-RBR win of the season. He shouldn't be the higher scoring of the red machines two drivers because lets be honest, he ain't as quick as Charles but, to finish first, first you have to finish and Carlos knows how to get the car home with out the help of a crane and a flat bed truck.
7) Oscar Piastri - Rookie of the season (all be it in a very small field). Clearly learnt more with every race weekend and took two podiums in his debut season. If McLaren can keep improving their car across the winter then I'd expct Oscar to be pushing Lando hard and for both of them to be regular top 6 finishers.
8) Charles LeClerc - Yes he's quick, yes at times on a Saturday he was really quick but he has to stop out driving his car and start bringing it home. He does seem to be on the wrong end of most of Ferrari's strategy cock ups but that also suggests to me that he isn't pressing his opinions on the team or doesn't know how to.
9) George Russell - He's had an ok season and at times he's had all of his ducks in a row but, while he's a good driver, he's not great. I'd expect another season or two with Merc then a move to another midfield outfit and a slide down the grid.
10) Gasly / Ocon - Half a point each because I want to tip a hat to the pair of them for decient podium finishes and being best of the rest, pretty much un-noticed in the Alpine. You couldn't get a fag paper between them in terms of performance.

1) Verstappen - as much id like to. i cant put anyone else he's been as incredible as he has been boring, almost unbeatable. broken almost every record & when you have a disaster in singapore & yet still nearly come 4th in car thats "undriveable" shows the strength of his season

2) Albon - Any other year for me. he would be number 1, he has really settled in & matured, the places he has put that williams is miraculous, qualifying 4th in zandvoort, 5th in vegas, 6th in monza. single handedly might have them 7th in the constructors, in what was & might still be the worst car on the grid

3) Norris - always known if you give him the car he will deliver but i think even he has outperformed what we thought he could do, as since austria he has been the biggest consistent threat to Verstappen, very unlucky to not win a race

4) Hamilton - i said in japan that if he achieved 2nd, it might have been his greater achievements than some of his world championships. but austin DSQ. 1 of his worst races in his 10 yrs at mercedes. due to the car in interlagos. he couldve achieved it. it didnt need proving to me. but again he has over performed in what has at times been the 4th best car on the grid. & all down to his consistency which is very underrated trait of his

5) Sainz - Joint 4th in the championship, beat what many believe more talented teammate (at the time of writing) & the only other person to win a race, he did it under tremendous pressure. that deserves a spot in the top 5

6) Alonso - he has detractors but he made hay while the sun shone in the 1st 8 races. then when everyone caught up as aston martin struggled with development. he still took a great 2nd in wet race of zandvoort & great late battle that i woke up to in brazil, to get the podium off perez. is still joint 4th. he's beating Leclerc. despite having an inferior car since Canada

7) Piastri - arguably the best rookie season. we've seen since Hamilton in 2007. comes in with the pressure of the huge scandal, also feeder series success then being teammate to the most highly rated driver not in leading team. but he pushed norris more than anyone has. great sprint win in qatar & he looks so comfortable you'd think he's driving in F1 for years when he's only been for months

8) Leclerc - its been a very underwhelming season some his fault some not. he is almost untouchable over 1 lap. i dont think there is anyone better. but ferrari tyre wear is dreadful & costs him. but for safety car he wins in vegas

9) Perez - i debated this the most, so much i had the clash in my head. but his aim was 2nd in the championship & by hook or by crook it was successful in that aim. admittedly 1st 5 races & the last 4 races where he has refound something do alot of the heavy lifting. its hard to remember he won 2 of the 1st 4. he beat max in saudi fair & square. max tried multi 21 but he couldn't close the gap. because from when verstappen overtook him in miami to post qatar. it was embarrassing how bad he was in the most dominant car since 1988 mclaren, to not make Q3 on 8 times he didnt. some of accidents he got into you'd be disappointed in 16yr old F3 Rookie nevermind Perez. but he has refound himself in 3 of the last 4. that has saved his career & his place on this list.

10) Lawson - this might be a shock to most. but i was very impressed with his 5 race cameo. came in zandvoort 1st time he ever drove that car in anger was in wet qualifying. thenndrove with mature head in a very tricky conditions in the race. scored points in singapore in his 3rd race. made Q3 in suzuka. was straight on pace of tsunoda & in the 5 race cameo won his teammate battle 4-1. not bad for last minute standby
------------------------------------------------------------
ive been harsh on Riccardio & Russell. i didnt have enough time to judge riccardio because of the injuries. mexico was good but 1 swallow doesn't make a summer. Russell has just been a bit anonymous, nothing memorable sticks out & has finished bottom of what i called 1st division

Last edited:
Thank you for bringing idea back to life F1Brits_90. The original thread was based on the annual Autocourse Top Ten which ranks drivers based on "their performance and the equipment at their disposal". There is another "rule" at Autocourse, which you may or may not want to take in to consideration, which is that the driver has to have completed the full season. So in 2023 this would exclude de Vries, Ricciardo, and Lawson.

Thank you for bringing idea back to life F1Brits_90. The original thread was based on the annual Autocourse Top Ten which ranks drivers based on "their performance and the equipment at their disposal". There is another "rule" at Autocourse, which you may or may not want to take in to consideration, which is that the driver has to have completed the full season. So in 2023 this would exclude de Vries, Ricciardo, and Lawson.
i always enjoy it to see others. always happy to bring it & as we know like me with albon the driver in 13th has done a better job than the bloke who finished 2nd. i do like to keep to those that did the season but i though lawson deserves praise

although seemingly 7 of the last 8 years the best driver has been driving a mercedes & 6 of those called lewis :D

1. Verstappen as much I loathe the team . He is the only driver who was consistent all season. Some of his antics over the radio though are ridiculous . Sooner or later someone will stand up to him and hit back harder

2. Albon - matured to be team leader and whitewashed Sargeant 22 nil
3. Hamilton I put him here because he was still more consistent than the rest but his quali was erratic and gets into a few more scraps
4. Le Clerc the guy has the speed over 1 lap but his talent is wasted in the Ferrari
5. Sainz still no match for Le Clerc over 1 lap but he has improved his race pace and was close again with a well deserved victory
6. Norris once Mclaren was progressing he was more than not the nearest challenger to Verstappen but just can't string a perfect weekend often enough
7. Alonso showed there is still life left in his F1 career with early season form
8. Piastri - rookie of the season but still not a match for Norris on Sunday
9. Russell only 2 podium but could have had more if the luck was not against him in Australia and Melbourne
10. Perez - he won two races is the only reason I can think of but he was dreadful after that.

1) HAMILTON
2) NORRIS
3) SAINZ
4) ALONSO
5) PIASTRI
6) LECLERC
7) RUSSELL
8) OCON
9) GASLY
10) STROLL

P1 i understand not listing Verstappen as the top driver, but not including the driver who has just dominated a season like no other driver in history (save perhaps Ascari) In your top 10 just suggests that you’ve got a chip on your shoulder about him…

P1 i understand not listing Verstappen as the top driver, but not including the driver who has just dominated a season like no other driver in history (save perhaps Ascari) In your top 10 just suggests that you’ve got a chip on your shoulder about him…
Perhaps.

Also I have no basis to tell if he is any good. As far as I can tell he is operating in a separate universe with a car in a league of its own and a team mate who is not very good and who is also not really allowed to challenge him even if he was capable of doing so. So how can I rate him against the others? It’s impossible. So I left him out.

I must admit to wondering why Stroll but not Albon... I'd love to see some justification from you, P1
To be honest this is probably an oversight. I haven’t been paying much attention to Albon or Stroll but I recall a couple of good races from Stroll. I can’t recall anything about Albon.

Perhaps.

Also I have no basis to tell if he is any good. As far as I can tell he is operating in a separate universe with a car in a league of its own and a team mate who is not very good and who is also not really allowed to challenge him even if he was capable of doing so. So how can I rate him against the others? It’s impossible. So I left him out.
thats an interesting idea. i completely see what you mean that he was so rarely tested & we never actually saw what the car was capable of

Part from Max, who was on a different planet to the rest, I find it quite difficult to rank them in any sort of order as every driver beyond Verstappen had some really woeful moments.

But the question is to rank the, so here's my go:

1. Verstappen
2. Alonso
3. Albon
4. Sainz
5. le Clerc
6. Piastri
7. Norris
8. Hamilton
9. Russell
10. Tsunoda

Back