2021 Silly Season

I had not really given much thought to the dynamics of this team but

Vettel always want No 1 status which ever team he drives for and needs everything to be perfect including the car

He gets flustered if the team does not back him or the rules are not in his favour or his teammate starts to get the better of him

So you would say that Stroll is going to be No2 but Lawrence Stroll is not going to bankroll the team to see his son get beat

So Vettel is expected to beat Stroll but if he does not he should retire? How long will it take before the accusations will start within the team if things don t go well?

Seriously Vettel thinks he can still drive for Mercedes in 2022 then ? Or are Mercedes so desperate for a German world champion?

Stroll could seriously make a name for himself and bury Vettel's career

In regards to Perez both Haas and Alfa want him for the money he brings probably

The swerve move if it's not Vettel at Racing Point is if Toto is trying to get Ocon or Russell into the other seat whilst Perez heads for Williams or Alpine.

Illott and Shwartzmann have been just as good if not more impressive
I'm not saying they aren't but Schumacher won the feature race fair and square, has been on the podium many times this season and sits second in the championship. He's doing well.

Just because he passed the "Il_leone hates sons of influential people" test, much like Lance Stroll, it doesn't make him a bad driver.

I'm not saying they aren't but Schumacher won the feature race fair and square, has been on the podium many times this season and sits second in the championship. He's doing well.
he is, but im being super critical here but this is his 2nd season in F2 & this is Schwartzman 1st. how come Schumacher jr needed a year to adjust & bed in when he came 13th & 1 sprint race win, but fellow title winners in GP3 Ocon, Leclerc & Russell then F3 Stroll, Norris, Schwartzman. impressed straight away in both F1 & 4 of them in F2 challenged for the title

Dunno, but it's fair to argue and contrast based on performances but its not his fault who his dad is. That's going to add a shed load of pressure.

There have been plenty of drivers over the years who have had less successful lower formula careers and made it into F1 or had outstanding lower formula careers and never had a sniff of an F1 seat.

F1 is only "the pinnacle of motorsport" because dear old Bernie created that image. F1 is, and remains, a class of motorsport for a certain type of racing car. The rest is about commercial opportunities.

Mick Schumacher has won races in F2, is in the Ferrari Young driver program, has a world famous father and would be a good news story for the sport and Ferrari. Of course he's going to be seen as a favourite for a drive.

It took Jolyon Palmer 4 years to win the GP2 title and Mick Schumacher's first season was massively better than Palmer's.

30 years ago there were anywhere between 26 and 30 seats for drivers and far more mid season changes and one of drives. With opportunities to drive being much smaller these days there are a wider range of factors being taken in to account.

If you were an F1 team boss and current holder of both world titles, would you employ a 33 year old driver whose entire racing record consisted of two podiums and no wins in 4 seasons of F3000, 1 Le Mans DNF, 6 failures to qualify and 2 finishes outside the top ten in F1?

If I gave you that CV you would laugh me out of your office.

But that's exactly what Sir Frank Williams looked at when he hired Damon Hill who went on to give him 21 wins, 20 poles, 40 podiums and the 1996 World Championship.

yeah Joelyn palmer did the old trick isnt used now because now if your in your 3rd yr & havent won youve missed the boat. of using the experience not talent to be quick

but as we know if does get into F1, then you got to deliver because the pressure will be on quickly. name that was a help will be a hinderance

also on hill isnt that something we dont get know because of the escalating budgets of last 20yrs. that hill impressed on the testing

Well looks like Vettel is going to be beating LeClerc consistently next year. He got fired by Ferrari and leveraged that to move up the grid to a faster team. I'm happy he landed well.

Are Perez’s only options next season either Alfa Romeo or Haas?
I think it is likely just Haas and I think they would be idiots to not take him.

Alfa is likely to keep their line-up since it is decided by Ferrari, or if they change they will bring in a Ferrari Academy driver.
Alpha only hires young drivers

Tongue in cheek summary of Vettel going to RP, etc.: Has-been WDC replaces future WDC while keeping never-to-be WDC; or, more cynically: Has-been WDC replaces future WDC while keeping bosses mediocre son.

but to play devils advocate. how do we know when hes never had a car that can get on a podium. bar 3 races of this season

i never thought rosberg could be a world champion

Last edited:
Well it looks like a messy divorce coming as Perez confirmed that he was only told yesterday his contract has been severed to make way for Vettel. He had no prior warning so get ready for some interesting inter team battles and forget about team orders.

So Lawrence Stroll has plenty of money such that he is not scared of Carlos Slim to make such a decision.

It's tough on Perez but then again if it were not for his Mexican pesetas he would not have got opportunities in F1 and someone with more money has bought him out

Mercedes have got a B team with an experienced and young driver pairing. Could Stroll now be considered potentially the future of Mercedes?

cider_and_toast I have respect for Hill but many dont . His junior record was not good because he never won F3 or F3000 title but as Murray Walker use to say "Just because you are good in junior category does not always mean you will be good in F1!"

Hill 'a appointment was probably influenced by Prost not wanting a competitive teammate but even then the Professor still struggled

Back
Top Bottom