Grand Prix 2020 Sakhir Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

The 2020 double headers continue. At least in Bahrain though they have decided to run the race round a different layout. This will be a line it up and floor it racetrack at its absolute finest.

1606769097445.png

There will be 87 laps of a this 3.5 mile circuit. I suspect it will make Monza of the 60's, or Silverstone of the 80's seem really demanding and a bit "pedestrian". Not sure if Grosjean will be back for this weekend, I suspect not. What money on Nico Hulkenberg turning expecting to have a go in the second Haas? Fingers crossed this will be a little more interesting than last week's effort, although expect a Hamilton pole and win in anyway.

It’s a bit premature to to dismiss Lewis Hamilton’s career with Bottas after one race weekend

I'm absolutely not saying that.

I started the post with "Still only the end of the first day" making it clear that it was pure speculation and early days.

I also asked what does it say about Russell in comparison to Hamilton not the other way around.

Is he as fast as Hamilton or is he benefiting from a chassis tuned by Hamilton that suits his own driving style?

I'm absolutely not saying that.

I started the post with "Still only the end of the first day" making it clear that it was pure speculation and early days.

I also asked what does it say about Russell in comparison to Hamilton not the other way around.

Is he as fast as Hamilton or is he benefiting from a chassis tuned by Hamilton that suits his own driving style?
Russell has not driven this years car so its mighty impressive

In the era of Covid we have seen some big names in motorsport cutting back costs and not willing to bulk to salary demands of driver or riders despite past successes.

So Hamilton might have less negotiating power if Russell's stock increases

cider_and_toast I think what George Russell is benefiting from is Bottas being in a rut from constantly being beaten by Hamilton. If George Russell wins this weekend and Hamilton doesn’t take part in Abu Dhabi, and then George Russell has another strong weekend again, and beats Bottas then I think that it is curtains for Bottas after 2021.

yes this is jumping the gun. but from his performance at Williams thinking austria 2018? when nearly got that heap of junk into Q2 . i think this is ferrari 2018 & Bottas is Kimi Raikkonen solid driver that doesnt rock the boat. but is he getting the best from the car. but Hamilton is the best driver on the grid potentially of his generation. but ive said constantly this season considering how "dominant" that W11 is. "the fastest car in F1 history". he is 120?? pts behind his teammate & 14 or 17pts ahead of verstappen in much inferior machinery & was the 3rd best car of 1st 1/3rd of the season.

Hamilton will stay at mercedes 99%. unless we have damon hill in 1996. he's 7x world champion. like ferrari were never getting rid of Schumacher. if this carries on alot like Perez's 3yr contract at racing point. how watertight is Bottas contract. because Perez was "watertight" but Vettel taken his seat

yes this is jumping the gun. but from his performance at Williams thinking austria 2018? when nearly got that heap of junk into Q2 . i think this is ferrari 2018 & Bottas is Kimi Raikkonen solid driver that doesnt rock the boat. but is he getting the best from the car. but Hamilton is the best driver on the grid potentially of his generation. but ive said constantly this season considering how "dominant" that W11 is. "the fastest car in F1 history". he is 120?? pts behind his teammate & 14 or 17pts ahead of verstappen in much inferior machinery & was the 3rd best car of 1st 1/3rd of the season.

Hamilton will stay at mercedes 99%. unless we have damon hill in 1996. he's 7x world champion. like ferrari were never getting rid of Schumacher. if this carries on alot like Perez's 3yr contract at racing point. how watertight is Bottas contract. because Perez was "watertight" but Vettel taken his seat
Bottas is only got a 1 year contract so Mercedes through Toto will swap him and Russell if the pressure is there to doo so especially if Russell blitzes him in this and possibly next race.
The worst is Bottas gets a pay off and will have sit out a season and hope there is a drive.

When Schumacher was ar Ferrari they seem to have endless money to pay him $50m a year I dont think Mercedes are in that position. Like I said certain big motorsport brands are not willing to pay their established driver/riders the big salary they command citing Coronovirus rdducing theiir income so why could not Mwrcedes say thus to Hamilton to take it or leave it offer

Fernando Alonso described George Russell as the most impressive young driver on the grid and he's been proven right. I take cider_and_toast point about the car being built around Lewis, which probably means it doesn't best suit Valterri. When Jody Scheckter joined Tyrrell in 1974 he tested the 006 and found it virtually undriveable as it was designed to suit Jackie Stewart. Perhaps Russell drives more like Lewis than Bottas does?

It would be great to see two drivers at Mercedes who could challenge each other, which we don't have at the moment. I suspect George would be happy the be the Villeneuve to Lewis' Scheckter if Mercedes gave him a drive for 2021. Maybe Merc and Williams would like to do a driver swap?

I can imagine that due to the far stricter regulations on car dimensions now though that there probably isn't such a big issue with (say) a taller driver getting in another car. I bet little Jackie Stewart probably had a wee little car made for him! (edit - actually Jody doesn't look that much different height wise, and maybe shorter?. I'm probably talking rubbish)

Last edited:
I think Hamilton should have two goals remaining that would make him the GOAT, 100 F1 wins and 8 World Driver's titles.
Then, at last, everybody can shut the **** up

That is if he still has the hunger for it which he still does.
There will always be people who won't recognise it but in my mind his 7 titles are held in much higher regard than Schumacher's

Just watching a replay of FP1. Bottas is clearly over driving as he feels threatened, but the driver I think has most to lose from George Russell is Max Verstappen. Max has been built up as the next big thing, with so many touting him as a WDC in waiting etc. etc.. But we do know he has a fairly fragile ego and Russell taking some of "his" limelight will, I suspect, cause some problems in Max's head.

Isn't a nice feeling to have a new cat among the pigeons?

😁

The 2020 season from a neutral perspective has actually been rather good with the new tracks and odd surprise thrown in.

It's been nice to tune in on a Sunday and have just a smidgen of uncertainty about how things would play out.

Just watching a replay of FP1. Bottas is clearly over driving as he feels threatened, but the driver I think has most to lose from George Russell is Max Verstappen. Max has been built up as the next big thing, with so many touting him as a WDC in waiting etc. etc.. But we do know he has a fairly fragile ego and Russell taking some of "his" limelight will, I suspect, cause some problems in Max's head
Verstappen told Russell to " To shut the :censored: and concentrate on his own team" in response to saying Albon is being not given a fair chance at Red Bull

So this will rile Verstappen even more especially he just might have blocked his get out route from Red Bull and he has a genuine title rival ahead

Coming back to Bottas - in his mind he thinks he needs to dominate Russell to be utterly convincing

Isn't a nice feeling to have a new cat among the pigeons?

😁

The 2020 season from a neutral perspective has actually been rather good with the new tracks and odd surprise thrown in.

It's been nice to tune in on a Sunday and have just a smidgen of uncertainty about how things would play out.
this F1 season has been the few positives of the pandemic because we have arguably had a better season than we wouldve had. & also left F1 much better in long run. with the guest spots on the calendar

we had some excitement from the new venues. of Nurburgring, Mugello, Imola, Turkey & Bahrain (outer). hulkenberg coming back putting 3rd on the grid, Russell going to mercedes with 2022 shootout. if it wasnt Hamilton dominance then this wouldve been a brilliant season. as it wouldve been 9pts between Bottas & Verstappen. for the title

if sunday is anything like the F2 feature race is could be a cracker, the last 6 laps were incredible & at times we had the top 6 separted by 4 seconds & the top 4 all within a second

this unusual qualifying 4 mins go in Q2 Top 5 separated by 0.053. & i bet if you'd told albon you'll be quarter of a second of a mercedes. he'd been delighted instead? he's 8th & on the brink

Back
Top Bottom