Poll 2020 CTA Driver of the Year

F1Brits_90

World Champion
Thought now the season is over. i thought i post the annual CTA driver of the year. as i always say every year it the only time of the year where there really is no wrong answers because it can be top 10 in championship or the top 10 pound for pound like if you think latifi or vettel merits a place in your 10 then. thats your opinion. I just feel its a great way to get everyone's opinion on how the 2020 grid fared this season & who you thought impressed or who you thought disapointed

Preferably a top 10 but you can do a top 5 if you dont have the time for 10. Or if you thought we had 15 useless drivers who dont deserve a place LOL just post it below . like F1 the top driver gets 25pts, 10th gets 1pt. the driver with most points. Will be 2020 CTA Driver of the year, an award thats a prestigious as winning 7 world titles

Current roll of honour :1st:
2016 - Daniel Riccardio
2017 - Lewis Hamilton
2018 - Lewis Hamilton
2019 - Lewis Hamilton

--------------------------------------
for example
1st - ................
2nd - ................
3rd - ................
4th - ................
5th - ................
etc

I just crunched the numbers, and by my reckoning Mercedes would have won the Constructors Championship by 3 points over Red Bull if they'd told Bottas to stay at home for 2020 and just run Hamilton - and not put Russell in the car when Hamilton was off sick.

So

1st - Hamilton and the Mercedes Engineers.
2nd - Everyone else.

On the official Formula 1 site after each race was votes with

Driver of the Day 2020​

It was list with 5 drivers (from 1st to 5th).
If you assign points for getting into these ratings (for 1st = 5, for 2nd = 4, for 3rd = 3, for 4th = 2, for 5th = 1),
we can get a total rating based on the results of all races. It turned out the following:
1607894367879.png

OK. Here's my stab at it.

1st - Lewis Hamilton. Best driver in the best car = Unbeatable.
2nd - Sergio Perez. Took a while to get his season going but drove brilliantly at times.
3rd - Max Verstappen. OK he's not the best of people but he can drive.
4th - Danny Ricciardo. Made the Renault look better than it was by some margin. Always great to watch on track.
5th - Pierre Gasly. After being spat out by Red Bull he came back hard. A wonderful debut win.
6th - Charles Leclerc. In a car that was clearly the poorest Ferrari for almost 40 years he saved it from total disaster.
7th - Carlos Sainz. Strong race days showed McLaren were definitely moving in the right direction.
8th - Lando Norris. If he could turn qualifying into decent race starts he would have been higher.
9th - George Russell. Dragged Williams into Q2 and almost scored points for them. Put the cat among the pigeons at Mercedes.
10th - Lance Stroll. 2 podiums and a consistent season.

OK. Here's my stab at it.

1st - Lewis Hamilton. Best driver in the best car = Unbeatable.
2nd - Sergio Perez. Took a while to get his season going but drove brilliantly at times.
3rd - Max Verstappen. OK he's not the best of people but he can drive.
4th - Danny Ricciardo. Made the Renault look better than it was by some margin. Always great to watch on track.
5th - Pierre Gasly. After being spat out by Red Bull he came back hard. A wonderful debut win.
6th - Charles Leclerc. In a car that was clearly the poorest Ferrari for almost 40 years he saved it from total disaster.
7th - Carlos Sainz. Strong race days showed McLaren were definitely moving in the right direction.
8th - Lando Norris. If he could turn qualifying into decent race starts he would have been higher.
9th - George Russell. Dragged Williams into Q2 and almost scored points for them. Put the cat among the pigeons at Mercedes.
10th - Lance Stroll. 2 podiums and a consistent season.
I can't argue this list, so I am going to second it :D

So here's my list:

1st Max Verstappen - Because of the distance between him and his team-mate throughout the season - his car isn't as good, but has had the chance to shine
2nd Lewis Hamilton - His driving is outstanding, but it's difficult to make a comparison whilst he's in the Mercedes.
3rd George Russell - OK, so his races might sometimes leave something to be desired, but that's often more of a function of where the car actually is, and his outperforming of it (especially in qualifying).
4th Sergio Perez - A win in the 2019 Mercedes - but has solidly performed all season
5th Charles Leclerc - Has consistently been putting his car in a position that it doesn't deserve to be
6th=Lando Sainz. Lando and Carlos have basically been equal to each other throughout 2019 and 20. To try to separate them would be to try to distinguish luck from judgement
8th Pierre Gasly - Grabbed a lucky win at Monza, but put his car in the right place at the right time.
9th Daniel Ricciardo - Has put (highly fancied) Ocon in the shade... Renault have produced a good car, but he has performed excellently through the season
10th Nico Hulkenberg - How is he without a drive this year or next?!?

Dishonourable mentions...

Vettel, Raikonnen, Giovanazzi, Latifi, Kvyat, Albon, Magnussen, Ocon have all been shown up this season, and should be shown the door.

Brogan - I know what you mean... I can't decide whether Albon is no good, whether the car is designed so heavily around Max that it disadvantages Max, or whether Albon is being somehow nobbled (for reasons unknown) by Red Bull. (or whether Max is frankly an outrageous talent).

Max's dominance reminds me of Alonso versus Piquet - Piquet was clearly a second driver in the team, and always was compromised...

On the official Formula 1 site after each race was votes with

Driver of the Day 2020​

It was list with 5 drivers (from 1st to 5th).
If you assign points for getting into these ratings (for 1st = 5, for 2nd = 4, for 3rd = 3, for 4th = 2, for 5th = 1),
we can get a total rating based on the results of all races. It turned out the following:
View attachment 14199

Driver of the day, the most pointless award ever. It’s the only points table Max Verstappen ever leads.

1) Hamilton
2) Verstappen
3) Perez
4) Leclerc
5) Riccardo
6) Russell
7) Sainz
8) Bottas
9) Gasly
10) Albon
Hamilton - Not at his best over the season, but not needed to be because Bottas had another season of disappointment, but he showed a couple of times that its still there when he needs to be pushed. broke records almost every race, got a great shout outside of 1st & last. that shouldve won them all & worthy 7 time world champion

Verstappen - impressive again. that red bull has never been near the level of mercedes, but yet he keep managing wins & front rows only finished off the podium once in turkey & shouldve won that but for pitstop cock up. to finish 9pts behind bottas. is impressive but with bad luck of 2 engines blown, a puncture in comfortable 2nd at imola, & taken out in someone else accident in mugello & sakhir. even more so. but we still dont know what he's like under pressure

Perez - comfortably his best season, very excited to see what he could do in RB if confirmed. considering he missed 2 races with covid & 2 of the last 3 with engine blown, but still comfortably in 4th. & the best guy on tyres. had so many great drives styria, portimao, turkey, bahrain, sakhir

Leclerc - in a dreadful ferrari, worse statistically for 40yrs. comfortably beat vettel who was strangely so average. had no right to be 7pts off albon & beat norris in drivers championship. 2 podiums, couldve & shouldve been 3. 6 top 5's. you could arguably say it was better season last year

Riccardio - another impressive season, 5th in WDC, had 3 4th's until the 2 podiums he got. could/shouldve won sakhir but for bad strategy

Russell - its always hard to quantify him. as in perfect world, would love to see him in the racing point or McLaren in 2021. but his reputation has only increased. outstanding in qualifying but race suffers as he too far up. & 1 of the great debuts in sakhir

Sainz - a solid season. always competive & consistent, 9 top 5 in 14 races he finished. so unlucky in monza as he was 2nd on merit. but with gasly win 2nd now seems worse than it was

Bottas - Poor again yes he up against 1 of greats but he's not even close at times, he won 2 races in a dominant car the same as max. in his time at mercedes is losing 11-10 to max. + embarrassment of turkey & sakhir. admittedly he's only on here because of his qualifying which was very good. but points come on Sunday

Gasly - won a race had to be on the list & continuing a great recovery from double blow of Hubert & losing the RB seat

Albon - a tricky year. its controversial to have here, but he has made some brilliant overtakes & is very good wheel to wheel. & got a few podiums. but hammered by Verstappen

Would agree with most of the classification although Bottas was lucky to be top.10
for me I think it was his qualifying. if he was challenging & as competitive as he was. then he would've been gone

Was Perez better than last season, or did he just have a faster car?
i definitely say a better car. was 2019 that they nearly went bust or was that 2018

but looking at the stats force india / racing point came 7th in constructors with 73pts which funnily enough Stroll beat on his own. this year. but he obviously had a better car this year but his results have improved in parallel id say. but there is big gulf between 4th & 7th

as it seems i had him 10th & just refound my 2019 rating
10) Perez - it was between Perez & riccardio for the last spot. I thought the perez was brilliant if it wasnt for the DNF in Singapore wouldve scored points in every race in the 2nd half & to get within 2pts of riccardio considering the big differences in funding between the 2 teams. very impressive & easily beat his teammate

1. Hamilton phenomenal consistency. Only blemishes were Monza and Sochi otherwise would have broken more records

2. Verstappen - the only taking the fight to Mercs in a car not quite as fast. The only blemish was Turkey a race he should have won but threw away impatiently

3.- 8 difficult to separate this lot

Perez - this season seems to be better . A deserved first win for the team he saved and certain has increased his stock rise.

LeClerc - really did destroy Vettel although some clumsy moves as well but the gap between the two makes you wonder why Aston Martin should sign Vettel

Ricciardo - the progress Renault made allowed him to race closer to the front 3 and he was showing the form that people tout him as a future world champion

Gasly - up to his shock win in Monza he was phenomenal and putting the Alpha Tauri in the top 10 consistently and even outpacing the Red Bull of Albon - the man who replaced him . It reminds to be seen whether his career can forward outside the Red Bull camp

Sainz - Mr Dependable on race day to come home with points and strong racing making up positions

9- Norris - Flashes of brilliance but not quite the same consistent level of his teammate

10. Russell - Clearly deserves better than a Williams right and that week in Sackhir has put him at the front of everyone eyeing the Mercedes drive for 2022

Back
Top Bottom