Grand Prix 2019 Azerbaijan Grand Prix (990th GP) Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Ruslan

Podium Finisher
1.5 seconds between Ferrari and Mercedes!!! I don’t know how party mode is going to make up that gap.

Two others things catch my eye 1) Leclerc continues to be faster than Vettel and 2) Kvyat

FB

Not my cup of cake
Valued Member
"It's going to be a mixed up grid" said the commentators. And it wasn't!

Angel

Race Winner
Contributor
im pretty happy ive still stuck with leclerc & Ferrari LOL & my replacements kimi & Norris are doing well

currently my drivers 1st 5th 7th & 11th
I snuck in and amended mine right before quali stated (the wildcard was still valid). Not sure whether I made it better or not, but there you go. Tomorrow we shall find out I guess.

Johnny Carwash

Champion Elect
Contributor
Yet again when the pressure counts the Mercedes drivers deliver,even though Leclerc looked the fastest over the last two days it means nothing if you can’t get through qualifying.

Titch

Champion Elect
Premium Contributor
I have to say it looks like tomorrow could be a repeat of “Back to the Future”

Jimbob

Test Driver
Is there any justification for the late (local) start time for quali and the race itself? I wonder if it goes back to 2016 when the European Grand Prix was run there.

F1Brits_90

Race Winner
mercedes again taking advantage of all luck. that's the big difference between why they are constructors champions & ferrari arent

because leclerc had that pole sown up. he had a such a gap to everyone in FP3 it was 1.4 secs to the mercedes & vettel was 2 tenths even with a huge tow. but it bodes well for a great race. because leclerc 10th & he could easily have the pace to win if/when pack closes up due to safety car. but they tried to over clever & in dropping temperatures he locked up in mediums. there are no room for error espically in old town

Il_leone

Champion Elect
Ferrari got suckered by Mercedes thinking they were going to get a cheap tow only for them to do practice starts before leaving the pitlane

Whilst its a tall order for Le Clerc.. given the pace of the Ferrari I think he will be on the back of Verstappen within 5 laps and still be within a shout of a win

Ferrari really are trying their best to screw LeClerc

Angel

Race Winner
Contributor
So Gasly was already starting in the pitlane, then he was disqualified from quali so would have had to start from the pitlane. Then Kubica joined him after some parc ferme infractions by the team when they fixed his car. Now Kimi has been disqualified for a problem with his front wing and he's also starting in the pitlane. At this rate there will be more cars there than on the grid!!

It's good for Leclerc though, he's moved up to 8th, though he says he'd rather have started 9th on the grippier side of the track.

It's all go, even before lights out!!

Ruslan

Podium Finisher
Not sure what to say about this race. It had the potential to be a great race, with the Mercedes on the front row and the faster Ferrari's further behind...but it did not turn out that way. Kind of an interesting processional race, where I kept waiting for something to happen, and it never did.

1. Bottas: Good race. We will see how many more wins he gets this season (if any).
2. Hamilton: "And then in the race I was too friendly at Turn 1 and basically gave it to him. He drove a fantastic race and made no mistakes so he deserved the win this weekend."
- Was Hamilton too friendly in turn 1?
- I sort had the impression that Hamilton was in a pretty good position to take it from Bottas when the Virtual Safety Car suddenly showed up and appears to have kind of ruined the end-of race drama.
3-5: Nothing to say.
(6): Gasly - it looked like he was heading for a well deserved 6th. Would have been nice to see because he has had a terrible and demoralizing start to the season. Hopefully we will see better performances from his for the rest of the season.
(6): Kvyat - the guy who was 6th all weekend, in free practices and qualifying just kind of disappeared. Then got backed into by Ricciardo.
6: Perez - re-establishes himself as the best of the rest, with a team that was in bankruptcy less than a year ago.
7-9: Good work on the part of McLaren and Racing Point.

Renault: Sort of mystified why they sucked so bad this weekend.

I am still stunned that Ferrari was howling around 1.5 seconds faster in FP3...and come race day, were not competitive. Good enough to grab the fastest lap, but not good enough to actually race anyone. Leclerc did look good moving up through the field early on, with a lot of his passes not done under DRS. It appears that Ferrari is the fastest car when everything is perfect, but for some reason, it rarely is. We shall see how Barcelona goes.

Izumi

Banned
Both, Haas and Ferrari are complaining about difficulty with rapidly optimizing temperature of thin tires. (Grosjean, Vettel and Leclerc were all on the same page regarding this subject.)

Titch

Champion Elect
Premium Contributor
Why do Ferrari always choose to destroy one of their drivers each season. I reckon Vettel can stop panicking now. The team has obviously decided to sacrifice Leclerc for the greater good. Or something.

Top Bottom