Grand Prix 2015 Italian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Catch it while you can folks otherwise you could be watching the last but one Italian GP from the Monza circuit. Bernie will be sitting down with the GP organisors after the race to discuss a new contract post 2016 and at the moment has said he is not sure if there will be a race here in 2017. The track itself openend in 1922 and since 1950 has held every single Italian GP with the exception of 1980 when it was held at Imola. Since it's a track with so little F1 history behind it, it's no wonder it's in danger of not being around much longer. (sarcasm !!). Bernie has stated he is not going to offer the track a cut price deal and expects it to pay the going rate to host a race.

The layout of the track is of course most famous for it's banked circuit which, despite it being hugely dangerous, would make for an interesting race if it was brought back into use. Since that is extremely unlikely we'll content oursevles with a layout that has remained virtually the same with the exception of a few chicane based tweeks here and there, since the mid 60's.

Known as a breaker of gearboxes and with the engines required to run at full throttle over about 80 percent of the lap, a reliable and powerful engine is an absolute requirement here. So, with a Mercedes one-two the only likely result the big question will be who else will round out the podium?

You would imagine that, for the reasons stated above, it would have to be one of the other Mercedes powered cars. Williams, Force India and Lotus had mixed fortunes in Spa but will all be eyeing that third step. Of course, with Ferrari at their home race and the Italian 'Tifosi' out in full voice there will be an added urge to compete but is that Ferrari engine powerful enough at this track?

McLaren have become the new Caterham in terms of promised upgrades not doing what they are claimed to do. In an Autosport piece in the run up to Spa we were cheerfully informed that the Honda upgrades would put them on a par in terms of power with Ferrari. Sadly it would seem they meant the 2014 powered Manor Ferrari and not the current Ferrari GP car.

With the remaining Reanult and Ferrari powered teams almost certainly fighting it out for the lower end of the top 10 it's really hard to see where the entertainment is going to come from. Let's just hope there is some.

He's only ever scored 10 points finishes - as many as Bruno Senna scored when he was Maldonado's team-mate in 2012.

That he won a race and binned great opportunities in others suggests that the 2012 Williams car is one of the great missed opportunities of F1 history.

LifeW12 - I'll push it that little bit more. With a competent driver, that car could have won multiple races; with a top-quality driver it would have challenged for the title.

I'm not sure I go for that. I think Maldonado's win was the one day he was a top quality driver and that fate conspired to give him the circumstances to take a win. I think its very easy to look back after seeing Maldonado's form since and say he's awful now so therefore a better driver then would have won multiple races but lets not forget how good he was on the day.

I'd go with a different driver would have been a consistent point finisher that season but its possible they wouldn't have got that win.

Anyways I'm sure Pastor will keep us entertained at Monza. Lots of chicanes to miss and lots of oppotunities to come back on the track unsafely.

How many current drivers have won at Monza in the wet?

sebastian-vettel_3-jpg.5416

Correct answer Seb, well done.

Bill Boddy EEEEEEKS. for some reason I didn't expect anything but hot sun. I'm in France and driving over the col to Italy for the race, so what I've brought with me, on the race gear front, will not be good if it's cold and wet. No brolly. No head to toe plastic Cape. No warm snugly team hoody. I do have a little kag in a bag!!!! Thank goodness for that!

Should make for a good race if it rains though!!

Seems like Jenson & Fernando have been rain-dancing furiously since Spa...might be the only opportunity for McLaren to be less shit, if it's properly sodden at Monza.

I don't think you can guarantee a win for anyone in wet conditions. Judging by Suzuka last year, Red Bull could well be close to the pace if it is wet; judging by Britain this year Ferrari may well be closer too. Add in the tyre and "throw-it-off" factors too, and rain would make Mercedes more nervous.

He had an absolute nightmare in qualifying in 2008, remember. Lost the best part of Q2 pissing about with intermediates and ended up in worse weather when he had the right tyres on.

The best tactical decision of Sebastian Vettel's career :p

Back
Top Bottom