2014 / 2015 Silly Season. Drivers Market.

I still can't see Alonso going back to McLaren, and he's only potentially got a few years left in F1. He's going to want to go to the winningest team immediately if he can.

Hamilton stated flatly that he is at Merc next year in an interview on SKY at Japan.
How that story about McLaren can be true I have no idea.

FB not I am sure he would not want to make any intention to move quite so obvious....but that also makes the story that stated he took a helicopter to the McLaren team, stayed three hours and signed a deal equally unlikely given that its not the most obvious thing to do if you want to keep a deal out of the news....

I think the only thing that can be said with certainty is that we don't know for certain who will do what next season.Nothing's been announced officially so chances are there some negotiations taking place as we speak.
Who or what they involve we don't know..
Apart from that it's all pretty clear. ;)

Look at it this way:

If you were Mercedes, would you want another season or more like this one, with your two drivers at war? And if you had just signed up your German driver, who's been in on it from the start, for a long-term contract extension, wouldn't you consider off-loading the 'high-maintenance' Hamilton, who hasn't yet signed up, in favour of bringing in a reliable No. 2 driver to back up Rosberg?

And if you were Hamilton, wouldn't you know all that, or at least suspect it? And knowing that, wouldn't you prefer to go back to the place you knew and felt at home, now having more clout as reigning WDC in being able to dictate your terms? Especially with the Honda engine coming back, and the Senna/Honda history in your mind?

And if you were Honda, wouldn't you have already been saying for some time to Ron Dennis, 'Get Hamilton signed for next season at all costs"?

The only move we know for sure is that Vettel is leaving Red Bull so there will be driver movements.

All possible scenarios and speculations have now been discussed, so it stands to logic that one of them is bound to become true.

Also, when Ron Dennis gave an interview with Martin Brundle at Suzuka and was asked if there was any impediment to Alonso returning to Mclaren, he said this:

“I moved on years ago. There’s no impediment for Lewis Hamilton coming back. There’s no impediment for Fernando Alonso coming back. And there’s no impediment for Kevin [Magnussen] and Jenson [Button] staying.”

Notice who he mentioned first?

Even if Hamilton does want to go back to McLaren I think the smart play would be another season at Merc. Let someone else deal with the initial issues with the Honda engine then move in if he so desires. As has been pointed out by others, though, the McLaren has the Merc engine yet is still slower than the Williams, so the chassis isn't that great either (at least currently).

As a concept I'd love to see Hamilton go to Williams, Chad Stewarthill, but realistically they don't have the level of financial strength that McLaren has so I don't see it happening.

Last edited:
Look at it this way:

If you were Mercedes, would you want another season or more like this one, with your two drivers at war? And if you had just signed up your German driver, who's been in on it from the start, for a long-term contract extension, wouldn't you consider off-loading the 'high-maintenance' Hamilton, who hasn't yet signed up, in favour of bringing in a reliable No. 2 driver to back up Rosberg?

I don't believe that Lauda who has a connection to the Mercedes Board, is thinking along those lines of off-loading Lewis. As a result of Hamilton's outstanding performance at Singapore Lauda simply said, " He's worth his money I can tell you that."

Toto Wolff comments was also interesting when he said regarding Hamilton's Singapore drive, " That was really awesome " and " These are the Lewis Hamilton days when you recognize how great he is, and it makes the difference between the superstars and the stars, the very best and the best."

Right now it looks as if off-loading Lewis, is not on the Mercedes drawing board.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/lauda-hamilton-worth-money-141529647.html

Back
Top Bottom