2014 / 2015 Silly Season. Drivers Market.

Vandorne was never going to go straight in at Mclaren once KMag had been given the shot. Sacking one development driver after a year to put another one in is even daft by Mclaren standards.

Vandorne will have his day and could even ywt be squeezed into a Marussia/Sauber seat for 2015. If not I should imagine he'll stick around for another crack at GP2 and I wouldn't bet against him pulling off the title as he now appears to have got on top of the formula.

James Allen said on 5Live that Alonso has an offer from McLaren for 2016, presumably based on how well the Honda engine performs. That sounds to me like McLaren will continue as is but it would be a bit of a slap in the face for the drivers at MLaren if they win races in 2015 only to be booted out for a 35 year old Alonso in 2016. All drivers get slower as they age.

FB Keke Rosberg had to face that situation back in 1985 when he was impressive in the Williams who had to please Honda in signing who they fought would be undisputed No 1

So it is not the first time this happened. I guess Alonso has a bargaining tool against Ferrari and potential can block off moves for Hamilton and Vettel to Mclaren as well

Alonso was never the out and out fastest just the most relentless consistent . Honda still thinks he is the best there is

siffert_fan Yes at 35 Button is the oldest on the grid and can't really extend his career any more than next season where he could retire happily if he won the title which would be wishful thinking but then nobody expected 2009 to happen

kimi is older than Jense, and Alonso is not far behind. they can keep going for as long as they are quick and willing to. i would suggest that Kimi will not be around after next season, and likewise JB, Alonso i would give another 2 or 3 seasons, providing he can stay at the top of his game.

And Damon Hill was 32 when he started in F1, 36 when he won his WDC title and 39 when he retired.

His father Graham was 29 when he started, 33 when he won his first world title, 39 when he won his last and 46 when he retired from F1.

drivers did not make their debuts in F1 until they were 25/ 26 back in the 1990's apart from a few exceptional ones .. now they are making their debut as teenagers which means their F1 career could be over before they are 30 !

JEV has admitted he could quit F1 for other series another guy who's career in F1 is finished before he is 30

What he actually says is he'd consider it but then goes on to remind everyone that his and Danny Ric's results have always been on a par with each other throughout their careers. Good sales pitch.

RasputinLives Looks like Mercedes take a leaf out of Red Bull and name a driver no one anticipated to be their 3rd driver !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/29206945

Yes but can't say I'm doing cartwheels on this one as he has a distinctly average record.

Back
Top Bottom