Pre-Season 2013 F1 Winter Testing: 2 - Circuit de Catalunya, 19-22 February

One thing to remember in comparing times set this year compared to last year is that whilst the cars were developed throughout the 2012 season and improved over the winter, cars can only use DRS on one or two straights now meaning the advantage they gained from that which I'm sure is at least a second will have been minimised significantly, so the times they are doing, baring that in mind, are quite impressive.

Absolutely agree.

As I said, there are so many variables such as this years compounds over last years, fuel, track temp, air temp, DRS etc etc that it's like comparing chalk with skydiving but it does provide for an interesting comparison.

tranquility2k9......I may be wrong but I don't think the restrictions on where a driver can use DRS come into effect until the season starts. In other words during the pre-season testing I think they can use it wherever they like. I stand to be corrected on this. All the regulations appear to apply to the active season starting with 1st practice in Australia. :unsure:

I don't know what the rule is but I'm sure they test DRS but I would have thought it would be pointless to test DRS where they will not be allowed to use it and so I doubt it is being used for the whole lap..

I believe that the teams have agreed to use the same regs during testing, at Jerez, they designated a DRS zone, besides, not sure what benefit it would provide the teams to not follow the rules.
The Pits, thanks for that. I wasn't suggesting anyone was breaking the rules, just that the rules don't come into affect until the season begins. The rules regarding DRS, as we know, now apply to the entire race weekend including 1st, 2nd and 3rd practice and obviously qualifying. Clearly there's nothing stopping the drivers and teams from using DRS anywhere during the pre-season tests so it's nice to know there's a good level of cooperation between the teams.

But there's no reason they would use it in places they won't be able to from now on, whether the teams have an agreement or not. I cannot think of a single logical reason. Webber said at Jerez that he was having to remember not to use the DRS at each corner like they used to, so maybe a driver would use it once by accident, but not throughout 60% or more of the lap like they used to.

My point was that the laps they are doing now on lower fuel, would automatically be around 7 tenths faster (gives or takes a couple of tenths) if they were using DRS for the whole lap. If they are - which would not be illegal in testing, then they're a little crazy, so it's highly unlikely. So yes, point being the times are very fast, even with last years development cycle and the winter progress - those times from Perez, Vettel and Hamilton today all look pretty good.

For goodness sake tranquility2k9, I'm not suggesting they should use DRS during testing. It was simply stated in a previous posting that it was hard to compare times from last year with the changes in the regulations and all I did was point out that the regulations don't apply to testing.
For what it's worth tranquility2k9 I'm old school and would get rid of DRS completely. I never have liked artificial overtaking which is exactly what we see with DRS, but we have it like it or not unfortunately.

For goodness sake tranquility2k9, I'm not suggesting they should use DRS during testing. It was simply stated in a previous posting that it was hard to compare times from last year with the changes in the regulations and all I did was point out that the regulations don't apply to testing.
For what it's worth tranquility2k9 I'm old school and would get rid of DRS completely. I never have liked artificial overtaking which is exactly what we see with DRS, but we have it like it or not unfortunately.

Don't "for goodness sake" me. I simply provided some information I thought was useful for other users on the forum and then justified upon what I originally said. In future I won't bother if it causes certain users such emotional stress.

You're just taking what I said too personally. I didn't mean anything by it. I just wanted to clarify my original point and look I understand what you're saying, so chill out. No hard feelings eh?

There are no rules in testing, a few years ago either Williams or Sauber (I forget which) ran there cars underweight to grab the headline times.

Was it Trulli or Ralf Schumacher who cut a chicane to give Toyota the fastest time in one test? In that case the time was actually removed, but I'm sure that the Japanese visitors that day felt very happy.

I must say the Williams' pace is looking none too shabby. I do hope they're not showboating, because if not then their decent performance, given that they were late launching the new car, could be further evidence of their resurgence.

liloyster - Theoretically, it's possible that they ran with full DRS on that lap.

Doubt it, though.

Possibly but like you I doubt it.

I'm not sure if this has been discussed but there seems to be high tyre wear at both tests so far on these new pirellis and with the super softs being used in Melbourne could we see 3-4 stop strategies.

I must say the Williams' pace is looking none too shabby. I do hope they're not showboating, because if not then their decent performance, given that they were late launching the new car, could be further evidence of their resurgence.
Pastor Maldonado appears to be doing a race simulation this morning and if one compares the times for the first stint with those of Sebastian Vettel who tried to do a race sim but was interrupted by gremlins it suggests Williams are 2 seconds adrift! Per Lap!!! :o

Back
Top Bottom