Grand Prix 2011 Monaco Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well how about that then, in a similar case in 2010 the doom and gloom merchants have vanished with a cracking grand prix in Spain. With the champagne still flowing we move on to Monaco a week later.

Mclaren will be a lot happier after running Red Bull all the way to the finish at a circuit where Red Bull normally run out of sight and could be favourites going into the Monaco race. Red Bull, however, will be the team to beat after 4 wins out of 5 races with Vettel looking unbeatable at the front but Spain showed that he wouldn't have it all his own way with Hamilton chasing him all the way to the end, even if Vettel extended his ever growing lead at the top of the championship

Ferrari seemed to have dropped back again after a superb start in Spain and eventually Alonso wound up 5th. But no doubt the Scuderia will be challenging the Mclarens and Red Bulls come the Grand Prix on Sunday. Felipe Massa's early season promise has vanished and he's back to his 2010 level and his seat will be back under scrutiny if he continues this lack of speed

Michael Schumacher will have reason to be optimistic after a strong race, beating his team mate and finishing a strong 6th as he best of the rest behind the Ferraris,Mclarens and Red Bulls. Mercedes no doubt have become the 4th fastest team over Renault who are now fighting over the lower points with Sauber and Force India.

However the big question on everyones lips will be DRS which didnt help overtaking in Spain (which is better) but more importantly where it will be placed on a circuit where straight track is at a premium so safety is a concern.

HRT continue to improve and are taking the fight to Virgin which for them is a massive achievement and its not long before they overtake them while Team lotus's optimism on Saturday didn't replicate on Sunday with a DNF for Kovalainen. But on a track where they would be weak, to get into Q2 is a massive achievement.

Hope seems to have returned to F1 after a surprisingly exciting race in Spain and it seems as if the feared Red Bull domination has been alleviated by the charging Mclarens and while Monaco is never a classic due to the nature of the track, it's certainly a spectacle

For Galahad's superb write up see here http://cliptheapex.com/pages/circuit-de-monaco/

If you think that was Lewis intention then clearly he was wrong, but on both occasion my real problem with the incidents is he was forced into those situations, which is not only anti-racing, but a little dangerous as well as we saw when Pastor ended up in the wall.

Think it is probably best if i leave it there. People know what i thought and as FB says i can make another thread on this and it would probably run for endless pages, but i think these incidents are always going to happen at such a tight circuit. At most other circuits the move is done by time we make the corner.

True, but it was a bad window to try and risk not only your race but another driver. Didn't Nando abort well in the same area as the Lewis-Pastor incident? because the risk is to great opposed to the gains, reckless and petulant decisions don't do him any justice.

Then against Maldonado he just sent up the inside hoping for Maldonado to get out of the way.

You mean like Maldonado couldn't get out of the way like MS managed to get out of the way?:thinking:

Agreed, the move on Massa was overambitious, btw.

Without ambitious moves Monaco will always be a procession. Fair play for him trying to have a go but unlucky for how it turned out. Have people already forgotten his move on Schumacher at the start of the race.

You mean like Maldonado couldn't get out of the way like MS managed to get out of the way?:thinking:

Agreed, the move on Massa was overambitious, btw.

We agree on many things, there was bound to be a time where we disagree! :snigger:

Well MS wasn't fully in to the corner taking a tight line, Schumacher was more wide than Maldonado, the old master saw it, that is why he is a 7 time world champion! :p (joke!)

I don't think you can blame Maldonado, he took the tighter line in, and Lewis was not alongside him at the time.

Experience is key! :thumbsup:

True, but it was a bad window to try and risk not only your race but another driver. Didn't Nando abort well in the same area as the Lewis-Pastor incident? because the risk is to great opposed to the gains, reckless and petulant decisions don't do him any justice.

I didn't see Alonso side by side with anyone in the race. Must've missed it. I'm going to open a new thread on this in a minute so we can speak there on it more.

I didn't see Alonso side by side with anyone in the race. Must've missed it. I'm going to open a new thread on this in a minute so we can speak there on it more.

It was towards the end of the race, Vettels tyres where going, Alonso got the KERS and DRS drive right in but hit the breaks, little lock up but it was the smart move as Vettal had the inside racing line.

It was towards the end of the race, Vettels tyres where going, Alonso got the KERS and DRS drive right in but hit the breaks, little lock up but it was the smart move as Vettal had the inside racing line.

Ah right. I remember seeing him have a look, but never thought he got on the inside of him.

Lewis Hamilton has been given a 20s penalty, which results in.. no change.

Kamui Kobayashi has been handed a reprimand - which seems very lenient to me, although I guess the '3 strikes' rule may start to come into play here.

Although Horner did admit they fitted the wrong tyres at his first stop.

Without the SC, I'm not convinced both Alonso and Vettel would have been able to hold track position against Button for another 10 laps or so.

Without the SC, I'm not convinced both Alonso and Vettel would have been able to hold track position against Button for another 10 laps or so.

That is true, but he would have got out ahead of Button anyway if they put on the tyres they wanted.

I think they would have, Button super softs where going off aswell, we know that the super softs degrade much more than the softs, so it was balanced out. It would have been close, the 2 behind I am sure, well especially Alonso (has the most to win and lose, plus he's in the middle of the 3) would have made a move or mistake any time soon.

They didn't see anything structurally wrong with Vettel's nor Alonso's Tyres and it was 72/78 so I really don't believe Button would have it in him to dust two drivers in less than 6 laps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom