Grand Prix 2011 Monaco Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well how about that then, in a similar case in 2010 the doom and gloom merchants have vanished with a cracking grand prix in Spain. With the champagne still flowing we move on to Monaco a week later.

Mclaren will be a lot happier after running Red Bull all the way to the finish at a circuit where Red Bull normally run out of sight and could be favourites going into the Monaco race. Red Bull, however, will be the team to beat after 4 wins out of 5 races with Vettel looking unbeatable at the front but Spain showed that he wouldn't have it all his own way with Hamilton chasing him all the way to the end, even if Vettel extended his ever growing lead at the top of the championship

Ferrari seemed to have dropped back again after a superb start in Spain and eventually Alonso wound up 5th. But no doubt the Scuderia will be challenging the Mclarens and Red Bulls come the Grand Prix on Sunday. Felipe Massa's early season promise has vanished and he's back to his 2010 level and his seat will be back under scrutiny if he continues this lack of speed

Michael Schumacher will have reason to be optimistic after a strong race, beating his team mate and finishing a strong 6th as he best of the rest behind the Ferraris,Mclarens and Red Bulls. Mercedes no doubt have become the 4th fastest team over Renault who are now fighting over the lower points with Sauber and Force India.

However the big question on everyones lips will be DRS which didnt help overtaking in Spain (which is better) but more importantly where it will be placed on a circuit where straight track is at a premium so safety is a concern.

HRT continue to improve and are taking the fight to Virgin which for them is a massive achievement and its not long before they overtake them while Team lotus's optimism on Saturday didn't replicate on Sunday with a DNF for Kovalainen. But on a track where they would be weak, to get into Q2 is a massive achievement.

Hope seems to have returned to F1 after a surprisingly exciting race in Spain and it seems as if the feared Red Bull domination has been alleviated by the charging Mclarens and while Monaco is never a classic due to the nature of the track, it's certainly a spectacle

For Galahad's superb write up see here http://cliptheapex.com/pages/circuit-de-monaco/

I personally thought that the Massa penalty was justified, especially since PDR was penalised for a carbon copy incident. A penalty for the Maldonado one will be harsh but his interview might just help him get it. He'll be getting dragged into the stewards for the 6th time I'd think!

Are you serious?!!!

Yes. He's the most penalised driver in F1. If he really deserves them all, then we can no longer call him one of the best drivers in F1. I will continue to view him that way, simply because i don't think he deserves half this.

All drivers do it, and always have done.

I could show you footage of Alonso doing it at the US GP to Hamilton or to Petrov last season, all because he was unable to overtake.

Yes true, but Alonso isn't banging wheels with these guys then putting his hand up, granted all drivers do it, but Hamilton's been doing it a lot these past two races.

And Martin Brundle has got it spot on "With Lewis, it is always is someone else's fault" "it can't always be the other guys fault" - spot on!

I don't think I've heard many drivers who willingly take the blame for any similar incidents.

Schumacher and Alguersuari both drove into the back of Hamilton.
Nothing seems to have been said on the forum about them...

In all fairness, perhaps Lewis should've looked at the race and seen that he was only ever going to finish 5th today, so 6th wasn't so bad and just blank the questions by the media like he usually does. I think the outburst is probably a result of how quiet he is on similar things in normal circumstances. It just builds up. My honest opinion though, and that is all i can give, and i accept it may be biased, is Lewis is victimised due to his aggressive racing style, which is what i watch F1 for. So it is always going to end up with me being frustrated by the constant penalising from stewards.

I don't think I've heard many drivers who willingly take the blame for any similar incidents.

Schumacher and Alguersuari both drove into the back of Hamilton.
Nothing seems to have been said on the forum about them...

They did not take out a driver, nor did they cause an avoidable accident.....Lewis did, frankly he looked like a real novice and wet behind the ears novice today. The same mental disintegration that we all talk about with Lewis Hamilton.

So if he causes two avoidable accidents he should be let off, because he's been judged harshly in the past? I take each case on its merits - neither pass was really on for him.

Why should Maldonado move over for him? Just because's he's Lewis Hamilton?

I don't think i ever said that, but i think if a driver is on the outside and another is one the inside, then if they don't take their respective lines it will always end in a crash, therefore penalties should be given if a driver from the outside cut to the inside and the driver on the inside driver too wide to the outside.

Hamilton's head just wasn't in the right place after Q3.

Since then he just got more and more desperate, especially having his whole race compromised by being stuck behind slower cars at the start.

Nope but many drivers get penalties for bizarre reasons he is not the only one

He easily gets the most though. I see them as unfair. What i can't understand is people who applaud him overall, but then criticise the things which he is great for. Kobayashi doesn't get similar treatment when he goes banging wheel.s

I do however think Kamui should also have received a penalty for shoving Sutil out of the way.
Essentially it is no different to what Hamilton or di Resta were punished for.
Yes, not even I can really defend that, he just lost control and careered into Sutil. Overly opportunistic, I think he'll get a penalty for that sadly.

All drivers do it, and always have done.

I could show you footage of Alonso doing it at the US GP to Hamilton or to Petrov last season, all because he was unable to overtake.

----------------------------------------------------------------

But they normally get slated when they do don't they?
So Should Hamilton also get slated, or should none of them get slated?

Personally I think they should be free to say what they like, and we should be free to ignore it, and just focus on enjoying the racing which is what we follow the sport for in the first place, is it not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom