Grand Prix 2011 Belgian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

It's a long summer and the key discussions aren't about the F1.

As we are in the middle of the summer break, the SKY/BBC deal continues to take precedence over any on track action we saw at Hungary, which is a shame as we saw a cracker of a race where Jenson Button eventually won his second race of the season ahead of Sebastian Vettel who extended his lead at the top of the championship yet again and surely it takes a miracle for anyone to overtake him now with less than half the races to go.

However with Belgium coming closer on the calender, it seems as if Red Bull has lost the dominance it held over the first half of the season with McLaren appearing to have the best all round package with 4 wins now this year with 2 for Button and 2 for Hamilton. Ferrari aren't far behind and are perhaps the best team in warm conditions but that remains to be seen after a series of damp and cold races. However it would still be a foolish person to bet against Red Bull going into the Belgian Grand Prix where the fast sweeping corners and technical hairpins will no doubt play to their advantage.

Spa Francorchamps is regarded (quite rightly) as the best driver circuit on the calendar with the famous circuit having many variations from its original form to the current version which was last changed in 2006 to incorporate the new pit area and final chicane, the final chicane wasn't popular as both fans and drivers miss the challenging bus stop chicane and the 'new' pit lane which can cause problems.

The grand prix has been famous for it's unpredictable weather with violent storms and half the track being dry and the other wet at the same time and completely random showers, the big example was 2008 where a late shower caught out the entire field and cost Kimi Raikkonen (and eventually Hamilton) the win. In 1998 torrential rain caused one of the worst starts in F1 history where half the field was wiped out on turn 1, eventually (after a restart) Damon Hill won for Jordan in a 1-2 with Ralf Schumacher second, Michael Schumacher famously nearly started a fight with David Coulthard after crashing into him trying to lap him.

Michael Schumacher has an impressive record at this track, winning his first race at the track in 1992 and taking several wins at the track with his last coming in 2002 where he took his seventh world championship. However at the moment it is unlikely that he will add to his list of wins with the Mercedes well off the pace of the leading trio of Ferrari, Mclaren and Red Bull.

Mercedes might find themselves behind Force India at the race as the track suits them down to a tee, in 2009 Fisichella took a surprise pole position and then took second place just finishing behind Raikkonen in the Ferrari (who always seemed to win at Spa when he was driving there)
Sutil and Di Resta have shown impressive pace recently, with both achieving season bests at the last few races and are closing the gap to the flagging Renault team who have really lost performance since the start of the season with Heidfeld and Petrov dissapointing.

On a personal level I am really looking forward to this race as I have weekend tickets and will be at Pouhon all weekend to bring you the best coverage from the track, (better than these Sky lot anyway)

For Galahad's excellent circuit write up, see here http://cliptheapex.com/pages/circuit-de-spa-francorchamps/

Three weeks off,.....good break, but it is back to bussiness and the bussiness end of the season.

Wowsers. Are they racing busses now?
bus01.jpg

I think they'll be slower than Ferrari, Mclaren and Red Bull.

I think they'll be quicker than HRT. You heard it here first.

None of us really have any clue as to exactly where they'll be until Friday/Saturday. I think with the complications born of the fancy pants exhaust system they won't be going forwards anytime soon but I hope I'm wrong. 5th looks like the best they can hope for, for now, as Merc look a good bet for 4th.

Looks like the teams will have little dry running before qualifying - Friday looks like a wash-out.

No one commented on this below...

Well, that ('pulling a hand break') would be about the equivalent of 'shutting' DRS right before the ban section (Eau Rouge).

Imagine being absolutely full throttle out of La Source and hurtling down to Eau Rouge totally flat...you're looking for your reference points to tackle the bends hopefully with out lifting ... and then, all of a sudden, you have "a hand break" pulled on your car at 300km/h? 8-)

I mean, talk about throwing in instability when you require it least!

Ouch!

We now have an answer:

"The FIA has decided to disable DRS throughout the Belgian Grand Prix weekend from the entry to the La Source hairpin, the corner before Eau Rouge, to the top of the hill at the exit of the sequence of corners."

Makes sense.

Given that opening DRS out of La Source and then closing it just before hitting Eau Rouge would be the equivalent of pulling on a hand break, they've circumvented that type of destabalization by totally out-lawing it from La Source.

Makes sense to me.

Well to get back on topic, we'll have a weather update from numerous sources,
Source1: Saturday: 10:00 Partly cloudy skies 1300-1600: Sunny skies
Sunday: 1000-1300 Sunny skies, 0.1mm rain expected at 1300 and 1600
Source2: Saturday light rain shower
Source3: Friday: 95% chance of rain Saturday 80% chance of rain
Source4: Saturday: 40% chance of rain Sunday: 15% chance of rain
My guess: Mixed Qualy and Mostly rain during race with patches of sunlight

DRS zones, haven't they been set up to be used on straights only?

If that being the case, why try dancing with devil, especially at a place like eau Rouge.!

I thought they chose a straight for DRS in the race as the best place to aid overtaking; but in practise and quali they can use it whenever they want. And i guess in the case of Spa that now means whenever they want except at Eau Rouge.
Eau Rouge used to be a real test of nerve to take flat but recently(without DRS) everyone takes it flat. Would DRS not give it back its bite? Make it a challenge again to take flat with DRS open? If that is the case its a shame they've taken that challenge away. The drivers dont HAVE to use it.

Indeed they don't Racecub, but if you remember back to '99 when Villeneuve & Zonta had a private bet between themselves to take Eau Rouge flat-out in the BARs, they both proceeded to lose their cars mid-corner and ended up shunting heavily (& scarily). The resulting damage to the tyre-barriers required the session to be red-flagged, and both chassis were write-offs.

The point I'm making (I think) is that the race organisers have weighed up whether to allow the drivers to decide whether DRS is suitable for that corner against the potential for delays to scheduling due to clearing away a massive shunt (plus the H&S assessment, obviously), and have decided to remove the possibility of another Villeneuve/Zonta incident - and quite rightly so, if you ask me.

Back
Top Bottom