Grand Prix 2011 Belgian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

It's a long summer and the key discussions aren't about the F1.

As we are in the middle of the summer break, the SKY/BBC deal continues to take precedence over any on track action we saw at Hungary, which is a shame as we saw a cracker of a race where Jenson Button eventually won his second race of the season ahead of Sebastian Vettel who extended his lead at the top of the championship yet again and surely it takes a miracle for anyone to overtake him now with less than half the races to go.

However with Belgium coming closer on the calender, it seems as if Red Bull has lost the dominance it held over the first half of the season with McLaren appearing to have the best all round package with 4 wins now this year with 2 for Button and 2 for Hamilton. Ferrari aren't far behind and are perhaps the best team in warm conditions but that remains to be seen after a series of damp and cold races. However it would still be a foolish person to bet against Red Bull going into the Belgian Grand Prix where the fast sweeping corners and technical hairpins will no doubt play to their advantage.

Spa Francorchamps is regarded (quite rightly) as the best driver circuit on the calendar with the famous circuit having many variations from its original form to the current version which was last changed in 2006 to incorporate the new pit area and final chicane, the final chicane wasn't popular as both fans and drivers miss the challenging bus stop chicane and the 'new' pit lane which can cause problems.

The grand prix has been famous for it's unpredictable weather with violent storms and half the track being dry and the other wet at the same time and completely random showers, the big example was 2008 where a late shower caught out the entire field and cost Kimi Raikkonen (and eventually Hamilton) the win. In 1998 torrential rain caused one of the worst starts in F1 history where half the field was wiped out on turn 1, eventually (after a restart) Damon Hill won for Jordan in a 1-2 with Ralf Schumacher second, Michael Schumacher famously nearly started a fight with David Coulthard after crashing into him trying to lap him.

Michael Schumacher has an impressive record at this track, winning his first race at the track in 1992 and taking several wins at the track with his last coming in 2002 where he took his seventh world championship. However at the moment it is unlikely that he will add to his list of wins with the Mercedes well off the pace of the leading trio of Ferrari, Mclaren and Red Bull.

Mercedes might find themselves behind Force India at the race as the track suits them down to a tee, in 2009 Fisichella took a surprise pole position and then took second place just finishing behind Raikkonen in the Ferrari (who always seemed to win at Spa when he was driving there)
Sutil and Di Resta have shown impressive pace recently, with both achieving season bests at the last few races and are closing the gap to the flagging Renault team who have really lost performance since the start of the season with Heidfeld and Petrov dissapointing.

On a personal level I am really looking forward to this race as I have weekend tickets and will be at Pouhon all weekend to bring you the best coverage from the track, (better than these Sky lot anyway)

For Galahad's excellent circuit write up, see here http://cliptheapex.com/pages/circuit-de-spa-francorchamps/

If we go back a few races then that puts us in Red Bull territory. McLaren have certainly closed the gap with regards to the Red Bull advantage in this area whilst Ferrari are also hot on the heels.

I expect this week to be evidence that Red Bull have run out of areas to develop their car whilst their competitors continue to make gains. Red Bull wins will be few and far between for the rest of the season methinks.

Very much looking forward to watching this race from the stands.

Well they are bringing a new floor and some other parts.
And this weekends will prove nothing, RB never had the best car at these kind of tracks.

And this weekends will prove nothing, RB never had the best car at these kind of tracks.

Were they not on pole last year, and I believe they were pretty handy in 09, despite poor results.

Their straight line speed disadvantage has been offset by the benefits provided through the rest of the circuit. They will be there or therabouts. Monza is their weakest circuit.

Pole last year!

No wins for the previous four races. Why? Because they started with an evolution of last year's dominant car which they had developed the nuts off. I said at the beginning of the season that they would be out-developed by their competitors as they had driven themselves into a cul-de-sac. If they don't win here then it shows that they have lost their advantage at ALL types of circuit.

Still, they could cruise to the championship now with three wheels on Vettel's car.

I am getting rain the whole weekend now.
If you go on BBC weather, and look at the map of Europe on Saturday, that band of rain near Ireland could affect Sunday's race - depending on how fast it moves west, and whether it fragments or not.

I said at the beginning of the season that they would be out-developed by their competitors as they had driven themselves into a cul-de-sac. If they don't win here then it shows that they have lost their advantage at ALL types of circuit.

Did you write in to Mark Webber back then to warn him to Make Hay Whilst The Sun Shone?! :snigger:

It's been confirmed that DRS has been banned through Eua Rouge any bets on someone getting a penalty for deploying it there?

What possible advantage would anyone gain by deploying it?

The only meaningful time you'd want to risk deploying it is on your flyer in Q3 or Q2 (or, if you're at the bottom of the pile, in Q1)...and they're going to be monitored left, right and centre. So, what's the point?

Only a brainless baboon would open up the wing through there...so, being the betting man that I am, i'd be willing to bet that no one will open DRS through Eau Rouge.

The anticipated wide gap between the 2 Pirelli compounds is more likely to make a bigger difference at Spa this year than 1 or 2 Grid spots in Qually, IMO.

If some idiot shunts there because of DRS, the FIA will likely revoke their licence.

I was playing F12010 at Spa yesterday and I think putting DRS from Stavelot > Blanchimont would be dangerous.

It's a huge shunt waiting to happen.

It happens Ray because the AI heavily back out of the corner which is nowaday's easily flat out, the Ai just park the car on the apex of the corner before the bus stop.

What AI?

I wasn't using AI (well at least I think I wasn't).

But, still, it's not straight from Paul Frere (old 'Stavelot) up to the chicane at the old Bus Stop. There are two eye-watering kinks that are blindingly quick. It's flat...but it's not straight really.
I don't know about you, Tacitus, but I'd want to respect that piece of road, frankly.

Having it up through Kemmel seems reasonable. I'd ban DRS, but if you're going to have it, then where they put it seems sensible/safe.

Pole last year!

No wins for the previous four races. Why? Because they started with an evolution of last year's dominant car which they had developed the nuts off. I said at the beginning of the season that they would be out-developed by their competitors as they had driven themselves into a cul-de-sac. If they don't win here then it shows that they have lost their advantage at ALL types of circuit.

Still, they could cruise to the championship now with three wheels on Vettel's car.

Three races that is. In Silverstone they couldn't get their tyres to work as Ferrari did and they made a mistake in the pits, at the Nurburgring they brought an update that didn't work properly ( as Mclaren did in Turkey and Valencia) and maybe at the Hungaroring maybe mechanical grip was the key, which Mclaren has loads of.

Still, Ferrari also has an evolution of their car of 2010. So, if Ferrari can grow, so can Red Bull.

Three races that is. In Silverstone they couldn't get their tyres to work as Ferrari did and they made a mistake in the pits, at the Nurburgring they brought an update that didn't work properly ( as Mclaren did in Turkey and Valencia) and maybe at the Hungaroring maybe mechanical grip was the key, which Mclaren has loads of.

Still, Ferrari also has an evolution of their car of 2010. So, if Ferrari can grow, so can Red Bull.

Surely you are not suggesting that the Silverstone result was null and void? I claimed that Red Bull have not won a race in the last four. This is irrefutable.

Ferrari completely remodelled thier aerodynamics for Silverstone. This is not something Red Bull are going to be doing any time soon. Engine mapping regs were also changed at Silverstone with a clarification on Parc Ferme rules, which also levelled the playing field.

To bring this back to my original point and with regards to this race. I strongly believe that we are at a fulcrum in the balance of the top teams and that the balance has shifted away from Red Bull. It has been evident over the past few races and any doubt I might have will be nullified if Red Bull get beaten again. For the last two years they have been untouchable in the middle sector. If this is not the case then the rest of the championship is a defensive one for Vettel.

Back
Top Bottom