Grand Prix 2011 Belgian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

It's a long summer and the key discussions aren't about the F1.

As we are in the middle of the summer break, the SKY/BBC deal continues to take precedence over any on track action we saw at Hungary, which is a shame as we saw a cracker of a race where Jenson Button eventually won his second race of the season ahead of Sebastian Vettel who extended his lead at the top of the championship yet again and surely it takes a miracle for anyone to overtake him now with less than half the races to go.

However with Belgium coming closer on the calender, it seems as if Red Bull has lost the dominance it held over the first half of the season with McLaren appearing to have the best all round package with 4 wins now this year with 2 for Button and 2 for Hamilton. Ferrari aren't far behind and are perhaps the best team in warm conditions but that remains to be seen after a series of damp and cold races. However it would still be a foolish person to bet against Red Bull going into the Belgian Grand Prix where the fast sweeping corners and technical hairpins will no doubt play to their advantage.

Spa Francorchamps is regarded (quite rightly) as the best driver circuit on the calendar with the famous circuit having many variations from its original form to the current version which was last changed in 2006 to incorporate the new pit area and final chicane, the final chicane wasn't popular as both fans and drivers miss the challenging bus stop chicane and the 'new' pit lane which can cause problems.

The grand prix has been famous for it's unpredictable weather with violent storms and half the track being dry and the other wet at the same time and completely random showers, the big example was 2008 where a late shower caught out the entire field and cost Kimi Raikkonen (and eventually Hamilton) the win. In 1998 torrential rain caused one of the worst starts in F1 history where half the field was wiped out on turn 1, eventually (after a restart) Damon Hill won for Jordan in a 1-2 with Ralf Schumacher second, Michael Schumacher famously nearly started a fight with David Coulthard after crashing into him trying to lap him.

Michael Schumacher has an impressive record at this track, winning his first race at the track in 1992 and taking several wins at the track with his last coming in 2002 where he took his seventh world championship. However at the moment it is unlikely that he will add to his list of wins with the Mercedes well off the pace of the leading trio of Ferrari, Mclaren and Red Bull.

Mercedes might find themselves behind Force India at the race as the track suits them down to a tee, in 2009 Fisichella took a surprise pole position and then took second place just finishing behind Raikkonen in the Ferrari (who always seemed to win at Spa when he was driving there)
Sutil and Di Resta have shown impressive pace recently, with both achieving season bests at the last few races and are closing the gap to the flagging Renault team who have really lost performance since the start of the season with Heidfeld and Petrov dissapointing.

On a personal level I am really looking forward to this race as I have weekend tickets and will be at Pouhon all weekend to bring you the best coverage from the track, (better than these Sky lot anyway)

For Galahad's excellent circuit write up, see here http://cliptheapex.com/pages/circuit-de-spa-francorchamps/

They were all using the f duct through eau rouge last year, I'm not sure what the big problem is. I am not sure of the relative differences between the two in terms of downforce lost, but the f duct was quite efficient, so i would not be surprised if the two were comparable.

You've forgotten Valencia. Lucky bugger!

Easily done. :oops:

Just looking, and Vettel has won 6 races to 5. That is 6 races to Red Bull aginst McLaren's 4. If anyone has ruined this championship, it's Webber. Depending on who you are that is. I'm going to sneak him a few sets of Bridgestone when I get to Spa on Friday.

I don't know, but it would not be pretty.

Well, that ('pulling a hand break') would be about the equivalent of 'shutting' DRS right before the ban section (Eau Rouge).

Imagine being absolutely full throttle out of La Source and hurtling down to Eau Rouge totally flat...you're looking for your reference points to tackle the bends hopefully with out lifting ... and then, all of a sudden, you have "a hand break" pulled on your car at 300km/h? 8-)

I mean, talk about throwing in instability when you require it least!

Ouch!

And a fan base. The German's aren't watching Heidfeld. They are watching Vettel, Rosberg and Schumacher. The Brazillians have given up on Massa. You can bet TV ratings will be up in Brazil for the GP this weekend.

Surely you are not suggesting that the Silverstone result was null and void? I claimed that Red Bull have not won a race in the last four. This is irrefutable.

Ferrari completely remodelled thier aerodynamics for Silverstone. This is not something Red Bull are going to be doing any time soon. Engine mapping regs were also changed at Silverstone with a clarification on Parc Ferme rules, which also levelled the playing field.

To bring this back to my original point and with regards to this race. I strongly believe that we are at a fulcrum in the balance of the top teams and that the balance has shifted away from Red Bull. It has been evident over the past few races and any doubt I might have will be nullified if Red Bull get beaten again. For the last two years they have been untouchable in the middle sector. If this is not the case then the rest of the championship is a defensive one for Vettel.

Like Teabagyokel said, you forgot Valencia.

There is always room for improvement, if it's not aero than it's mechanical.

Like Teabagyokel said, you forgot Valencia.

There is always room for improvement, if it's not aero than it's mechanical.

That I did. That I did. Well so far my predictions have been true. I will have to watch the rest of the races to see if my sentiments of today carry the same accuracy. I am quite confident.

They were all using the f duct through eau rouge last year, I'm not sure what the big problem is. I am not sure of the relative differences between the two in terms of downforce lost, but the f duct was quite efficient, so i would not be surprised if the two were comparable.

Again there are playing it to safe. To ban it at the tunnel in Monaco was the righteous call. But at Eau Rouge where there are a zillion run off areas is just wrong.

Again there are playing it to safe. To ban it at the tunnel in Monaco was the righteous call. But at Eau Rouge where there are a zillion run off areas is just wrong.
Totally argee. These drivers aren't stupid, if they don't want to use DRS, then they shouldn't use it. If they feel that they can use it at Eau Rouge, then 'on their head be it'.

DRS zones, haven't they been set up to be used on straights only?

If that being the case, why try dancing with devil, especially at a place like eau Rouge.!

Jesus, look at valencia for example, both drs zones were not on straights.

You're trying to compare some lame piece of Spanish road to a flat out 295 Kph downhill-uphill left/right/left where people have been killed?

LMFAO!

My dear fine fellow, there isn't a single challeging point on 95 percent of the Valencia track!

Looks like I won't be either anymore.

Surely Heidfeld was a dissappointment any way you cut it. Even if you account for Petrov improving over his rookie year (and he actually put in quite a good account of himself at Abu Dhabi when he cooly kept Alonso at bay), you have to understand that Heidfeld just didn't get the most out of the car. His qualifying was his Achilles Heel which left him a lot more work to do than was neccessessary.

Be objective, man!

Only in Kimi Raikkonen's hands...The King of Spa.

Here, here! :1st:

Kimi - King Of Spa!

:tea:

;)

Surely Heidfeld was a dissappointment any way you cut it. Even if you account for Petrov improving over his rookie year (and he actually put in quite a good account of himself at Abu Dhabi when he cooly kept Alonso at bay), you have to understand that Heidfeld just didn't get the most out of the car. His qualifying was his Achilles Heel which left him a lot more work to do than was neccessessary.

Be objective, man!

Big mistake....big mistake....

Never tell the only Nick Heidfeld fanboy to be objective!!!

Hell's going to break loose...

Back
Top Bottom