Jenson Button

Arguably the best ever driver in mixed conditions, all his wins at Mclaren have come in those conditions. His last race win in the dry came at the 2009 Turkish GP.

Button is known for his smooth driving style and is normally seen in must races doing one less stop than his rivals for tyres.

Buttons also know to be a bit of a practical joker and will take part in anything fun.

Since his debut in 2000 Button has won the majority of hearts in this country. But what is your favourite JB win?

Mine has to be Hungaroring 2006, in argubly a midfield team and he won the race in those mixed conditions to take his first win. I can remember James Allen been in tears almost and that was the first race Anthony Davidson ever commentated on.

So apparently Mclaren are to make Jenson an offer he can't refuse

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/1...-the-chance-to-finish-his-career-with-mclaren

Whether it will be a one year or a three years seems unclear but the source in this article seem to put JB on everyones wanted list for 2015 with him as standby at Ferrari and Red Bull if their new driver line ups don't work out. Also its said Lewis Hamilton is keen to work with him again at Merc.

All this for a guy people say can't set up a car!

Yeah, must be. I cant think of any other logical reason why they would want a world champion race winner in the team.

If they even do. Maybe this is all spin from JB's management to try and get McLaren to up there offer, even though he isnt worth what he is currently paid.

Or maybe McLaren actually WANT him to go, so they can replace him with a proven talent.

He couldn't beat Vettel and Alonso, no way and I'd be surprised if in a years time Grosjean and Hulkenberg aren't the wanted for the top teams to take them to WDCs. He'd bring in the points no doubt - top driver for these teams in the future? Nope.

You could well be right, and he is moving in to the twighlight of his career, however, he has a habit of proving people wrong, and I still believe that he could surprise a few people, certainly against Alonso.

I certainly do not see an reason to state with certainty that he couldnt beat Alonso or Vettel, surely until it happens this is a matter of conjecture. The record books will show he beat Hamilton in 2011, which he also couldnt do.

I think Nakajima could have beaten Hamilton in 2011. I am talking about Ferrari and Red Bull specifically - Lotus and Mercedes are probably better suited.

From 2015 Raikkonen and Alonso are likely to struggle to keep top seats I reckon too.

ahhh so JB beat Hamilton in 2011 because Lewis was terrible and anyone could have done it. Thats the new argument. Love it.

Jenson has been on Ferrari's wanted list for a few years now as the rumours started as early as 2011. Jenson knows what he wants from a car and is not afraid to tell people when it isn't right which I'd say as a designer is probably called good feedback.

Anyways he's highly rated by all in the paddock so I don't see him quite being put out to pasture just yet. He's only 33 not 106.

Sorry... I read up to the words Daily Mail then I had to stop ...

JB is solid driver ... not in the same class as FA, SV, LH or KR (on most days) ... and ahead of MW, FM and RG ... he holds a marquee seat at a marquee team that should bounce back next season ... having established himself at McLaren as the #1 why risk moving to another RBR, Ferrari or Merc and having to try to do that again ... at his age ... for mine that is a big risk ...

Stay put, trust Honda, trust McLaren to bounce back after their standard one in three Austin 1100 and try to snag another title ...

Last edited:
I think Alonso is a cleverer driver than yet equally as quick as Hamilton and am now rather reluctantly giving Vettel some credit so neh.

Button isn't a 'young' driver though and I think the teams really need to start looking at those with a huge amount of potential and so far there is one definite and one that's starting to look very good out of the younger ones. I just don't get why past 2015 they would want to keep the golden oldies as the primary focus.

ahhh so JB beat Hamilton in 2011 because Lewis was terrible and anyone could have done it. Thats the new argument. Love it.

It's an exagerration (Nakajima I don't believe actually completed an overtake) but you cannot say 2011 was an on form Hamilton. He may well have been rattled by Button who knows but it wasn't a good year. Button lost to Hamilton in 2010 and 2012 and Alonso lost to Hamilton in 2007. I'm going on the now.

I don't see how you can use this year to say Jenson is past it and since when did 33 become old for an F1 driver? I am doing an immense amount of research into the subject of age and driver potential at the moment and can tell you that everything points to age as far as ability is concerned not being an issue until a driver is knocking on the door his 40's Lewis is only 3 1/2 months away from being 29 is he past it Kimi will be 34 years old in two days time (Which makes him 4 months older than Button.) Is he past it? No I don't think so...

Hamberg. It still comes off as making excuses.

Also credit where credit is due Button beat everyone else but Vettal that year too and had a pretty top notch season. Whatever form Hamilton had been in I still doubt he'd have got him.

So why not say well done JB. You were ace that year rather than coming up with silly reasons why he wasn't.

No way am I saying he was ace that year! JB you were very good in 2011. You were ace in 2009.

I haven't said he's past it. I have used the term oldies plural and by 2015 he and others will be 35 with some hanging around the rear.

Now is it possible for a post in reply to not include Hamilton? As far as I'm aware he's got **** all to do with RBR, Ferrari, Grosjean, Button, Vettel, Alonso or Hulkenberg apart from the same sport.

Now if you think that Ferrari and Red Bull don't have one 'better' driver on purpose or that they should be looking for drivers from 2015 that have hit mid 30s in favour of younger talent that are probably about to enter their prime then go for it.

I think that a driver should chose to end his career when it becomes apparent to him and the paddock that he can no longer cut the mustard regardless of how old he is and to say that just because a driver has reached a certain age he should hang up his helmet just to give a young charger a go is just daft these are people who race because they love it and are good at it and when they stop loving it or lose the desire to win then and only then should they pack it in.

Last edited:
I'm not saying that. I'm saying they should be after Hulkenberg and now possibly Grosjean because they are good enough to compete with the top boys and strongly believe by 2015 they will be supreme, Vettel will also be on the radar - and that Red Bull and Ferrari are unlikely to have Button as their top driver because they have to have one not two.

In more equal teams such as McLaren, Merc or Lotus I can see that as a possibility.

Last edited:
What is killing F1 is not the established drivers who have proven their worth, on the contrary it is the young under talented pay drivers who are doing the damage.

Drivers like Lewis, Button, Alonso, Kimi and Vettel didn't have to pay for a seat in F1 they got there on talent and they will always be infinitely better then the likes of Maldonado and Chilton who would never be in F1 without the cash in their pockets...

Back
Top Bottom