Jenson Button

Arguably the best ever driver in mixed conditions, all his wins at Mclaren have come in those conditions. His last race win in the dry came at the 2009 Turkish GP.

Button is known for his smooth driving style and is normally seen in must races doing one less stop than his rivals for tyres.

Buttons also know to be a bit of a practical joker and will take part in anything fun.

Since his debut in 2000 Button has won the majority of hearts in this country. But what is your favourite JB win?

Mine has to be Hungaroring 2006, in argubly a midfield team and he won the race in those mixed conditions to take his first win. I can remember James Allen been in tears almost and that was the first race Anthony Davidson ever commentated on.

Is that Grand Prix winner Pastor Maldonado you are referring to Mephistopheles? I seem to recall the 2009 World Champion took 113 races to record his first win, Pastor only took 24. Maldo may have a bundle of cash behind him but he's a very fast driver.

Okay forget Maldonado from what I've read his funding has dried up and he will be staying at home next year anyway as no other team wants him, it's not so long ago that most people on this forum wanted to wear his balls for earring when he kept crashing into other drivers and citing him injuring a marshal and saying he shouldn't even be allowed to race anywhere let alone in F1, but excuse me for not being fickle...

My point still stands....

Last edited:
Button isn't a 'young' driver though and I think the teams really need to start looking at those with a huge amount of potential and so far there is one definite and one that's starting to look very good out of the younger ones. I just don't get why past 2015 they would want to keep the golden oldies as the primary focus..

That's a big mistake made by Mclaren not pursuing Hulkenberg, who I believe now could match Jenson on pace.

So Button is crap apparently yet he still has 3 times as many points as his teammate the guy people supposedly raved about just because of a few storming drives from the midfield on fresher tyres last year

No one gave Button hope saying he was in for a serious thrashing by Hamilton yet he has managed to do something no other teammate has done and that is beat Hamilton over a season

-----------

Why teams want him is because they know he is a dependable driver and being a world champion adds weight to his credentials

- Red Bull - world championship team - possibly need replacement driver for Vettel if he leaves or Ricciardo if he is not up the job
- Ferrari - the strongest but potentially volatile partnership... Alonso is getting more and more grumpy with the team and is close to getting himself fired if he does not watch his mouth
- Kimi clearly money was a factor in his move but is he up for it when the car is not as good

- Lotus - no one quite knows how consistently competitive they can be

- Mercedes - there are a lot of ex Mclaren people at that team so why would not they want to hire Button

I'm going to take a punt here and say Button WILL be 106 by the time Vettel leaves Red Bull and at least 82 before Vettel allows a competitive teammate.

If Vettel does leave, next stop Ferrari.
And you said it yourself Il_leone, Ferrari want someone dependable, like Button (like Massa and Barrichello).

It's funny how you all don't rate Hamilton or Perez yet use them as a a lot of you that think Hamilton is overrated and Perez is shit then use them as a benchmark to prove how good Button is. Super cool.

Last edited:
No, but I also don't really think Vettel will still be driving for Red Bull when Button is 106. I should rephrase "a lot of you that think Hamilton is overrated and Perez is shit use them as a benchmark...."

I can't think of anyone on this forum that has ever claimed Hamilton is over rated.

I've heard people say he's under performed but not over rated.

RasputinLives

The nearest is when people have claimed that Button has been (more or less) on a par with Hamilton over their time at McLaren together. This might be equivalent to some for saying that he's over-rated, as they've claimed that Button is over-rated!

I would say that most people who are Button fans feel that other fans underrate and belittle his achievements which is why they /we cite his time as Hamiltons teammate and outscoring him over the three year period even Whitmarsh has said this...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom