Grand Prix 2023 Hungary Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

It's time, ladies, gentlemen, boys, girls, and those of a non-binary persuasion, for the 2023 Hungarian Grand Prix. This means we will be treated to endless replays of Nelson Piquet in the Williams overtaking Ayrton Senna in the Lotus in 1986 as that is the only exciting thing which ever happened at this circuit.

In fairness, there have a couple of other incidents which do come to mind when thinking about Hungary. Jenson Button and Esteban Ocon both won their first GP at the Hungaroring. Jenson went on to win a World Championship, Esteban looks to be disappearing in to obscurity in a less than competitive car. Hmm, Ocon to be Word Champion in 2024 then.

I have a vague recollection of Michael Schumacher attempting to kill Rubens Barrichello one year, and Paul di Resta being allowed to be a mobile chicane another, much to the chagrin of Kimi Raikkonen.

You may wonder why I'm taking this trip down memory. Well, firstly I'm getting older and all I have left to look forward to is the past. Secondly, beyond some sort of divine intervention we will watch Max Verstappen in his Red Bull top the time sheets in every practice session, each qualifying session, and then lead every lap of the race as well as setting fastest lap. That said, the Hungarian race for many years was not blessed with much excitement and, generally, it's only when it rains that we have some sort of contest.

Ho hum. Oh, it's Belgian after this which will be much more pleasant watching than the Communist "installation" but I doubt will be any more competitive.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
i wonder what we will get this year, 2021 Bottas thinking he was miley cyrus & coming in like a wrecking ball on a wet track

temp 2.jpg

& then madness of Hamilton being the only 1 to take the start in 2022

Not sure given the Mercedes lack of straight line speed is not going to hurt it as much on this track and Hamilton is mega around here

AM has good traction out of corners, so Nando could get in the mix as well. But then again, RB said 0.2 sec, so that's probably 0.5...

I hope he tears a muscle spraying the spumante and has to miss a couple of races.

im probably being grumpy this is probally rant comer LOL

this tyre rules are ridiculous. F1 needs to get there brains in gear. their idea for sustainability is to take 11 sets of dry tyres instead of 13 this weekend. how about we dont take 6 sets of wet weather tyres 5 times a year to a desert (if you include vegas) & there you go weve saved 600 tyres instead 40

& i understand im not the target audience but not fan of the F1 juniors. i dont see why its needed none of us F1 juniors to get in to the sport we just watched it & learnt as we go. on a sunday lunchtime. but the difference was we had free to air tv back then. which i think is more needed than F1 juniors

www.skysports.com/amp/f1/news/12040/12923443/f1-juniors-young-formula-1-fans-to-present-hungarian-grand-prix-live-on-sky-sports

outstanding lap from zhou to top the Q1 standings

but i knew Russell was going out. all the shenanigans at the final corner cost him half a second in the 1st sector & that point youve got absoulte mountain to climb when all those those that progressed were separated by 3/4 second

perez is in Q3 for 1st time since miami 🎉🎉 🎉

McLaren look here to stay & its fantastic to have them back at the front of grid & they could very easily lay claim to the 2nd best car on the grid

where has alfa romeos pace come from,. nowhere all year & now easily in the top 10. but i think with the development rules closing the field up. im liking suprises we are having recently there is always a team who have an unexpectedly great weekend. Alpine in Monaco, McLaren in Austria & Williams in Britain

Verstappen will be seriously pissed off.

Odds on him taking Hamilton out tomorrow?
You have to keep in mind the mental stress that Verstappen is under having to keep that Red Bull at the front of the field. I know he carefully manages this through the quality of food and drink in the RBR motor home but even so. It's difficult for him.

It's fantastic that Lewis has remained calm and perhaps in looking down the pit at Mercedes sister team Aston and the excellent work his friend and mentor Fernando has been doing has inspired him to find a new energy.

Verstappen will be seriously pissed off.

Odds on him taking Hamilton out tomorrow?
the dirty side of the grid will be an issue, but when they are battling each other it will be very interesting, because he has been quite respectful to everyone & giving space but Hamilton. but then was that because he didn't have the desperation of 2021

outstanding lap from zhou to top the Q1 standings

but i knew Russell was going out. all the shenanigans at the final corner cost him half a second in the 1st sector & that point youve got absoulte mountain to climb when all those those that progressed were separated by 3/4 second
Ridiculous

Back
Top Bottom