Grand Prix 2023 British Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

This week for alot of teams & drivers, Silverstone will feel like a homecoming. for so many. & its a race that almost always delivers on drama or Memorable moments since it was permanently the British gp circuit in 1987.

1987, the great battle of Mansell hunting down & overtaking Piquet
british 4.gif

1991 - Mansell giving Senna a lift back to the pits
british 91.jpg

1992- mansell mania at its height
british 2.jpg

1994 - schumacher getting black flagged for failure to take a stop go penalty
1995 - Schumacher & hill colliding, Herbert taking his maiden victory
british 95 2.jpg
british 95.jpg

1998 - Schumacher winning it in the pitlane, in 1 of the wettest british GP's on easter sunday

1999 - Schumacher breaking his leg at stowe,
2003 - the mad priest invading the circuit on hangar Straight

2007 - the roar of the crowd when Lewis Hamilton took the 1st pole for British driver at a British GP for 11 years
2008 - maybe Hamilton greatest drive where in horrendous conditions, he outclassed the field by winning by over minute & lapping all but those on the podium
british 2008.jpg

2010 - 1 of the most famous radio messages, webber saying not bad for a number 2 driver, that in hindsight was where Vettel & webber relationship has become intolerable
2013 - the controversy of pirelli's exploding tyres
british 2013.jpg

2014 - where lewis Hamilton won his 2nd home race with 3 drivers on the podium, who had started 6th, 14th & 8th.
2020 - Hamilton winning the british gp on 3 wheels as he had tyre failure on the final lap
british 5.jpg

2021 - the image that still has the ability to start a war & arguably did start 1. but is often forgotten how good leclerc drove that day & wouldve won the british gp any other year v any other driver. but he just ended up trying to fend an inspired Hamilton who was on a mission to deliver for the fans. hunted leclerc down
1688559484784.png

who could forget last year which did prove the 2023 catchphrase "it wouldve been a great race without Verstappen" as he had big car issues that took him out of contention . we had the start of Zhou, Russell bravely going straight to his aide, the late safety car, Ferrari strategy cock up, "through goes Hamilton" moment. 3 teams fighting for the win in the late contention & Sainz taking his maiden & to this day only victory

british 1.jpg
british 3.jpg
1688560036912.png

so who knows there is hope yet that red bull domination may end & we will get a great race like last year, but as irritating as it is to admit, having ago at verstappen is the wrong target, it is mercedes & ferraris fault for this monotonous season. 1 got the rules dreadfully wrong & 1 got them spot on, but with no idea of how to make it quicker. but there is hope yet Aston Martin, McLaren, Mercedes, Ferrari & Alpine are all bringing upgrades. are all so close together, so we have got our hopes like normal on 1 team leading the fight anyone number of those 5 teams could still be fighting after the summer break & potentially next season

Last edited:
I so want one of either the Sky or C4 team to say to Max, after he's romped to another lights to flag victory, "So Max, how do you take any pleasure from winning when your car is clearly so much faster than all the other cars and your teammate is obviously an also ran?"

I so want one of either the Sky or C4 team to say to Max, after he's romped to another lights to flag victory, "So Max, how do you take any pleasure from winning when your car is clearly so much faster than all the other cars and your teammate is obviously an also ran?"
he wont be, it has just become business now. reminded me of Hamiltons in 2017,18 & 2021. he had said he was glad that vettel & max had caught up because he had got bored relished the competition

Odds on Just Stop Oil protestors making it onto the track?
well did last yr. when they got extremely lucky that Zhou had his accident. as there would have been a death

could verstappen win every remaining race this year

i think they will take the mclaren record & win the 1st 15 races. as thats ironically up to monza when Mclaren were beaten for the only time. but i think they will be closed up on once we get into the asian/American run in

How about the teams and the FIA agree that Red Bull can have the titles, all the money which goes with it, and then they bugger off for the rest of the season. Then Toto might have "a motor race" to look forward to.

I don't know how Verstappen does it Quite simply magic driving to drag that car to the top of the time sheets week in week out.

It's strange how Canada seemed to be a bit of a false dawn for Mercedes and an outlier for Ferrari's performance.

Ferrari in particular had been gradually falling further behind Merc and Aston but found themselves right back in the game in Austria and look to be carrying that into Silverstone.

Merc on the other hand seemed to show a level of improvement with their significant upgrade package but couldn't carry that into Austria and have started slowly at Silverstone.

I know you can't tell a huge amount from an opening session apart from Verstappen winning the race but it does ask questions of the upgrade work from most teams.

Williams however seem to have found a sweet spot with their car and Alex Albon. The means that Logan Sargent will need to pull his finger out.

Williams however seem to have found a sweet spot with their car and Alex Albon. The means that Logan Sargent will need to pull his finger out.
yeah i would say for me albon is driver of the year currently, very impressed with results in the williams

i was saying few days ago about the cost cap, i think that at moment for 1st time in many years maybe last few decades, there is no out & out 2nd place team. it really depends on strengths & weakness of a particular circuit. as take red bull out, nobody else has any consistency as you have
Mercedes win Australia, Spain
Ferrari win Baku, Austria
Aston Martin win Miami Monaco Canada

Channel 4's coverage is crap
I think that's unfair, for a one off event without charge it's reasonable, the production depends on the advertising and going by todays coverage that was lacking, we have to see if tomorrow there is more advertising which means more staff and cameras, come Sunday it will be F1 coverage and what C4 pay for, plus C4 presenting staff. Do we really need all the options Sky give, For me it's the race and I don't really need cockpit coverage of those speeds, my choice, I know what it's like at the speeds I achieved and can appreciate more than double. the old adage " when you think you should brake, don't, when you think you can't make it, don't, when you know you can't make it, brake," at 200+mph that takes balls and considerable skill and I appreciate that and don't need Karun Chandhok or to Ant Davidson to explain the intricacies of braking and the racing line clipping the apex in a car handling like a drunken trolley bus.

some tough conditions out there, too wet for slicks but not wet enough for intermediates

although what were them 3 drivers thinking going for another lap despite under yellow flags & seeing Magnussen stopped in the middle of track. its was 1 of the most obvious red flags of weekend.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom