Grand Prix 2023 Austrian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Red Bull Victory Discussion

I know exactly what you’re thinking! You’re thinking there’s less than 24 hours to go until we get to watch the next race weekend of this thrilling Formula 1 season and there is yet to be a PQR thread posted. Well worry no further for here it is.

Hold on to your hats race fans, it’s going to be another one of those awesome Sprint race weekends where we get to see the worlds best drivers complain they can’t push on maximum attack because of tyre wear. There has been a slight rule tweak for the tyres in sprint qualifying this weekend to enable drivers who make it into the final sprint qualifying session to use another set of new or used softs. This was due to Lando running out of fresh sets in the sprint qually session in Baku and therefore not being able to take part.

The Red Bull Ring once again hosts the Austrian GP and will no doubt also be win number 9 of the season for the Red Bull Racing Team. It’s very strange though, ever since the Miami GP where Sergio Perez in the second car. set pole and finished second, his form has gone mysteriously off the boil. Its as if the driver who won the Baku sprint race and GP and at that point was only 4 points behind Max in the championship, can no longer find the same level of speed to challenge his renowned teammate. I wonder what’s changed?

Alonso at Aston and Hamilton for Merc are locked in a battle for the scraps on the podium table with both having beamed their smiling chops down on the crowds from on high. Alonso has been the more consistent so far but after the Canada upgrades Lewis seems a lot more comfortable in his car. Both of their teammates however, in Stroll and Russell are letting the side down.

What that means is that Ferrari, are getting away with being utterly awful but are still not too far off the Merc powered motors in front of them. Let’s be honest, Ferrari are in deep doo doo unless they can work out what’s going wrong with their car. It was only by looking at the championship table on Wiki did I see just how off their performance has been. A single podium and 2 fourth places compared to multiple top four finishes for RBR, Aston and Mercedes.

Interestingly, from the start of the 2022 season until the Hungarian GP, Red Bull had taken 8 wins to Ferrari’s 4. From the Belgian GP where the ground effect anti-porpoising rules were introduced, Red Bull have won 15 out of the next 16 races, with Merc taking the only other win.

Williams will be hoping that Albon’s performance in Canada was not a one off and that the upgraded car is now genuinely among the middle of the pack and will go on to be a regular points finisher. What it did show however, was that while the cars can run closer together, overtaking with or without DRS remains as impossible as ever. While the commentators may guff on about the “DRS Train”, with all due respect to Albon’s drive, he didn’t have DRS at the head of that pack and had the oldest tyres in that group. The fact that at various times, Ocon and Stroll couldn’t even get close to passing the Williams shows how big the problems of racing still are.

Anyway, for those who wish to put themselves through yet another lights to flag Red Bull victory, the broadcast times are as follows:

SessionDateTime
First Practice30 June12:30
Qualification30 June16:00
Sprint Shootout1 July11:00
Sprint1 July15:30
Race2 July14:00

it would be funny if the 1st time they lost was at their circuit. but they will motivated more than ever to win this in memory of their former owner in there 1st visit since his passing & also because i saw a picture earlier that said that if if red bull we weekend they will do something no team has done since prost & senna in 1988 to win the 1st 9 races. which i find fascinating considering all the domination of
Williams 1992 1996
Schumacher 2002 & 2004
Mercedes 2014 2015 2016 & 2020

that its never happened before. but then we had senna in monaco 92, mental 96 monaco race that Hill shouldve won. schumacher & montoya collision in malaysia 2002 & then monaco 2004 under the safety car, Brakes issues for both mercs in canada 2014, Heat affecting mercs in malaysia 2015, both mercs crashing into each in spain 2016 & then unseasonably hot weather at silverstone causing mercs to struggle more on tyre wear than Verstappen

we do look asif we could be great both qualifying sessions as wet session & sprint race being potenially drying track

i only realised in the last few minutes. the last person to drive a dominant car that wasnt Red Bull or Mercedes was Jenson Button in 2009

the weather that was supposed to be quite stormy by 2pm uk time looks like it will miss the circuit because it quite sunny still. but radar is still saying that end of q2 & q3 could be affected but i think it will be fully dry

absolutely brilliant from Norris, if this is a sign of mclaren upgrades in next 3 races its looks extremely positive. it like aston martin jump as theyve gone from Q2 to challenging for a podium. Sergio Perez what are you doing done 3 laps in Q2 all in the 1.04.9's & all 3 laps deleted for track limits at the T9 & T10. now that 4 races in a row he wont be in Q3. not helping himself with the pressure.

alot of drivers have voiced their displeasure at Track limits its a hard 1 because with such small margins & drivers pushing their cars to limits its understandable. but like martin brundle has said numerous times. they wouldnt be out there if they weren't gaining an advantage. & if i was going to be overly harsh theyve brought it on themselves because when it was the kerb they would be all 4 wheels past the kerb not the green rumble strips complaining its unsafe & now its further in, white line is now the limit so its even tougher

the weather that was expected has gone to the north of the circuit

temp 1.png

Last edited:
I've always said that, if you put broken glass outside the kerbs, or had some other draconian penalty (e.g. in the race, you must return to the pitlane to check your car), then cars would never be crossing the line. The only reason that they do is that they can - and they push the limits right as far as they can.

F1's greatest ever pit lane reporter, Ted Kravitz reckons that while there has to be rules the track limits ones are a bit silly (or words to that effect).

I have to agree though, it is a bit unfair that Perez lost two laps which could have put him second in his Red Bull at the Red Bull Ring. Perhaps they should have moved the white line back a foot or two. Just when it seemed like Perez's Red Bull had found some pace again and looked far better at the Red Bull ring than it had at the previous three races, Sergio manages to trip over the stupid rule that cars should actually remain on the track.

We need more good guys like Ted to stand up for the drivers against these draconian rules.

I’d expect Perez is looking over his shoulder now.., what chances Daniel Ricciardo is in that seat at Silverstone? I know that Perez is not very well this weekend, and I suspect that, we’re Ricciardo not waiting in the wings, that Perez would have been better off staying in his sickbed today.

You have two choices, stay within the white lines or all run off areas are removed and we go back to gravel traps on the other side of the kerb

Gravel traps all day long.

They were only removed to prevent cars being knocked out of the race.

When we had barriers, walls, grass or gravel at the sides of a track the limits were obvious and respected.

We need more good guys like Ted to stand up for the drivers against these draconian rules

although i disagree, because the track is the track & if it was wet they wouldn't be out there. i think he's just raising the point of that in albons its millimeters in huge car at 150 mph. does the punishment fit the crime

i think dont think punishment fits the crime but i know they have to be overly harsh because historically you give F1 drivers an inch they will take a mile

When was the last time a teammate of Max Verstappen's results mysteriously fell off a cliff when they looked like challenging him?

2023, 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019 erm 2018.....

:whistle:
isn't this just a thing of when your at verstappen level. you can only over perform for so long by being perfect & hope the verstappen or hamilton level dips. but verstappen is driving better than ever

we've talked about the difference of many years of how the difference between very good & great can be large. Nico Rosberg when he wasnt busy cheating either at monaco, spa or spain. he said that he retired because he couldn't put himself through that again to try & stay at Lewis's level

Last edited:
Gravel traps all day long.

They were only removed to prevent cars being knocked out of the race.

When we had barriers, walls, grass or gravel at the sides of a track the limits were obvious and respected.
Yep and Verstappen would be buried everytime rather than come back and deliberately impede others all the time

I’d expect Perez is looking over his shoulder now.., what chances Daniel Ricciardo is in that seat at Silverstone? I know that Perez is not very well this weekend, and I suspect that, we’re Ricciardo not waiting in the wings, that Perez would have been better off staying in his sickbed today.
I still think this is a bizarre decision for several reasons
You're asking Ricciardo to back Verstappen when has an assailable lead barring a Lauda 76 crash the title is his
So you're going to deny Perez 2nd place in the championship then?
Ultimately Red Bull is all about Verstappen winning

You think Verstappen will let Ricciardo win a few races or move over for him when he has ignored every team order

at least perez showed he had the pace even if none were legal, so at least it was an improvement but the pressure is mountain & if de vries is under serious pressure with 4 races left to save his season/career before he packed off back to Formula E. then Perez must be under similar pressure but with the rest of season

i dont get the clamour about Riccardo because he is a lovely man no doubt. but why would you swap perez for a driver that just got battered by lando norris for 2 years & so bad effectively sent him into a sabbatical. it would be like mercedes hiring Vettel after being beaten so badly by leclerc

although i disagree, because the track is the track & if it was wet they wouldn't be out there. i think he's just raising the point of that in albons its millimeters in huge car at 150 mph. does the punishment fit the crime
The speed camera will flash whether you are 0.1mph over the limit or 10mph over. You have to draw a line somewhere.

It's been the problem with F1 rules for decades. What starts out as an absolute gets watered down through interpretation, on appeal and inconsistent application.

Cross the line by a mm or a mile and the lap time is scrubbed. Don't want to lose your lap time, don't cross the line.

Back
Top Bottom