Jenson Button

Arguably the best ever driver in mixed conditions, all his wins at Mclaren have come in those conditions. His last race win in the dry came at the 2009 Turkish GP.

Button is known for his smooth driving style and is normally seen in must races doing one less stop than his rivals for tyres.

Buttons also know to be a bit of a practical joker and will take part in anything fun.

Since his debut in 2000 Button has won the majority of hearts in this country. But what is your favourite JB win?

Mine has to be Hungaroring 2006, in argubly a midfield team and he won the race in those mixed conditions to take his first win. I can remember James Allen been in tears almost and that was the first race Anthony Davidson ever commentated on.

It is arguable whether both drivers are getting the best out of the McLaren at the moment. I've said it before that on the basis of the evidence last year, Jenson certainly cannot be used as a yardstick. I'm not sure where Kimi fits into all of this. There are so many factors to consider if either of the incumbent is going to lose their seat but inevitably and in true F1 fashion, it will come down to money.

Last edited:
Bill Boddy

That was what Luca felt about him at Ferrari 2009 - he appeared too lazy compared to the workmanlike Schumacher

--------

Button did put a timely reminder on Sunday he is still a top driver and was able to keep up with the Mercedes and 1 Red Bull at least

I do find it amusing that earlier in the season, a number of people, both on these boards, and externally, were shouting that Button was getting owned by Perez, and that any time that Button beat Perez, it was because of "strategy", and so on.... I'd say that Button has managed to stamp his authority on the team - even if he isn't always dominant in qualifying, the fact of the matter is that Button has over twice the points that Perez has!

He's not got twice the points completely through merit though so I don't think that's representative and a true reflection of dominance. Perez has been on the receiving end of some poorer decisions (including his own) or where one has to be given priority (e.g. quali track position) he's come off worse.

He's also taken the fight to Jenson on track and come out the victor on a couple of occasions so I think perhaps only experience is keeping them apart at the moment. It's unlikely to be talent.

Button drives well when the fancy takes him, or so it's always seemed to me. When the going gets tough.. it depends on his mood as to what happens next.

Button drives well when the fancy takes him car is good, or so it's always seemed to me. When the going gets tough.. it depends on his mood car/McLaren's inability to not royally **** up as to what happens next.

Fixed that for you

Have to say Titch if there was ever a driver whose driving ability was mood dependant, Button is one of the last front runners I'd think of!

Last edited:
Sorry Titch, I've edited mine to reflect it 'fixed that for you' is a longstanding thing on here, meant in a lighthearted way.

Last edited:
Button has seen off the challenge of his team-mate rather well since Perez was sending the number 6 up the inside of him a few times.

I'd suggest they're even in qualifying, but Button has brilliantly applied McLaren's n-1 strategy to get a couple of mid-points finishes.

This evidently plays to Button's strengths, but shows up Perez a bit since applying an n-1 strategy was his selling point at Sauber.

I would be confident that given a good 2014 car that Button could lead a title challenge.

They will need to deliver a dominant, rather than just a good car, for Jenson to lead a title challenge. Who is to say the current car is not a good car. It is also clear that Perez has the speed to beat Jenson and his obvious downfall is his inexperience and occasional rashness. I think McLaren haven't particularly managed the situation very well and Perez has thrown away an awful amount of points because of this. Issues that should be kept behind closed doors are openly discussed in public and Perez has over compensated on track to his own detriment. Then you get subtle digs from senior management which couldn't have been good for his confidence. Like Lewis, you certainly get the feeling that he is very much an outsider and I can't see him lasting there for too long.

Button did put a timely reminder on Sunday he is still a top driver and was able to keep up with the Mercedes and 1 Red Bull at least

This should be a minimum requirement for a team of McLaren's stature.

They will need to deliver a dominant, rather than just a good car, for Jenson to lead a title challenge. Who is to say the current car is not a good car. It is also clear that Perez has the speed to beat Jenson and his obvious downfall is his inexperience and occasional rashness..

The current car is not a good car. Were it a good car, button, based on his past performance, would have put it at the front every so often. Alternatively, if SP really has the pace to beat Button, he would have qualified and raced the Red Bulls by now.. Remember JB had the pace to take the race to LH!!!

Also, I think that it's clear that Button has the speed to beat Perez - as demonstrated in the last few races! There's only really two races this season when Perez has clearly beaten Button - Bahrain and Monaco!

In the Hungarian GP weekend, the commentators demonstrated ably most people's attitude towards Button. In P3, Perez was faster than Button, just and despite the fact that JB had been quicker in both previous sessions, tried to make out that Perez had been faster all weekend! This is the same attitude you see on the BBC website... Whenever you get one data point when Perez is quicker, that's sufficient to show that he's quicker than JB, despite the wealth of data points where JB is quicker than SP!

Back
Top Bottom