Featured Grand Prix 2019 Australian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Discussion in 'Formula One Discussion' started by FB, Feb 23, 2019.

1. RasputinLives

RasputinLives I don't believe in Zimmerman Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Angel no what I'm trying to say is if the fastest lap is by a driver outside the top ten does it get awarded to the driver with the fastest lap inside the top ten or just not awarded at all?

If not at all teams could sacrafice there 2nd driver to take a point off their title rival. Or even use their B-team drivers to do it.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. FB

FB Not my cup of cake Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    What astonishes me is they say they have asked the fans and this is what they want. Anybody here been asked? Not feeling the love for this idea.

4. gethinceri

gethinceri Daniil Kvyat Fan. Alfa Romeo Fan. Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Flav asked me, I blanked him.

FB and RasputinLives like this.
  5. Johnny Carwash

Johnny Carwash Champion Elect Contributor

Surely a better way of getting people more interested in F1 is not to give a point for fastest laps,but to have the coverage free to air instead.Makes you wonder who these “fans” are that they asked.

FB and RasputinLives like this.
  6. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    I watched a prison TV show where the prisoners took over the prison and decided to send a list of demands to the wardens. They voted on what 10 demands to send. Number 1 was the arresting of a guard for the murder of an inmate. Number 10 was more crisps in the vending machines. The wardens gave them number 10 and made a big song and dance about how they had given them exactly what they wanted.

This kind of feels like that.

Andyoak, FB and cider_and_toast like this.
  7. Angel

Angel Pole Sitter Supporter

Featured Threads:
    I don't think anyone gets the point if the driver who does the fastest lap isn't in the top ten. It's not been explained though but I assume it will be. You'd hope so anyway.

I filled in a global F1 fan survey last year sometime I think, it was to do with motorsport .com anyway.

8. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    Scenario:

Ferrari Boss 1: So Hamilton has the extra point for fastest lap?

Ferrari Boss 2: Yes. Counts for both Championships.

Ferrari Boss 1: Tell Alfa to bring Kimi in for fresh tyres with 3 laps to go. Every point counts.

9. Radical F1

Radical F1 Learner

there you go

10. Angel

Featured Threads:

I guess that would be how it works. I've tweeted Andrew Benson and asked him to clarify what happens if a driver outside the top ten gets the fastest lap. He hasn't responded as yet but I'll post whatever he says if he does.

11. Radical F1

Radical F1 Learner

He might respond -> 'Ooops' :dunno:

12. Angel

Featured Threads:
    Well Andrew Benson didn't respond :teary: Maybe I'll ask someone else ;)

Less than a week to race day now, anyone else getting excited or is it just me? ROFL

13. Angel

Featured Threads:
    There you go then.

14. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    No that doesn't answer the question. What happens to the point if fastest lap is not set by someone in the top ten. Is it not awarded or is given to whoever was quickest in the top ten.

Stupid Benson.

15. vintly

vintly Mostly bacon Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    If the fastest lap is set by someone not in the top ten then the point isn't awarded to anyone. That's my understanding.

Can't remember which race but Alonso changed to slicks for his penultimate lap and put a fastest lap in to show off/please sponsors whatever, and came 17th or something. The sub-rule makes sense within the umbrella of the main rule, whether you agree with it as a whole for not.

Edit: my first thought was that it's a silly rule, just there as an artificial exciter. What if Ferrari win the championship and it's ultimately arguable that fastest laps won the WDC, not podium positions? However that I think would be an extreme situation, and reality usually falls between the extremes (politics excluded). I'm guessing there'll be the odd contentious point awarded here and there due to a team-mate not going too fast on better tyres or something, but there may be some interesting drama too. Either way I don't think it'll play a main part in deciding anything.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  16. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    My point about being able to use a B-team to take a point away from a rival stands then. Prepare for a lot of pit stops at 3 laps to go for Kvyat if Max is in title contention!

17. Angel

Featured Threads:
    That first answer from Andrew Benson wasn't to my question, it was to someone else who asked a similar question, so I tried again ;)

So no one gets the point if you're not in the top ten when the fastest lap is set.

18. Angel

Featured Threads:
    Never one to give up, I also asked Adam Cooper, he just replied too ;)

1. Well they both agree, so I guess we have our answer :) I might have copied and pasted the question to save time ;)

19. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Huh? So, it goes to the fastest car in the top 10 even though that may not have been the fastest lap of the race?

Comically, the fastest lap point could, in theory, go to the driver who sets the 10th fastest lap of the race.

:facepalm:Strange days indeed

20. rufus_mcdufus

rufus_mcdufus Champion Elect

So there could be the absurd situation where a number of drivers outside the top 10 do a faster lap than the one the driver gets a point for.

21. Angel

Featured Threads:
    No I think you misread that, or I did.

From the way I read it, if the person who gets the fastest lap isn't in the top ten when they do it, no one gets the point. So the point won't be awarded every race necessarily.

Whatever, it's a stupid rule which has only served to complicate things as far as I can tell.

Chasz and cider_and_toast like this.

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice