Featured Grand Prix 2019 Australian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Discussion in 'Formula One Discussion' started by FB, Feb 23, 2019.

1. rufus_mcdufus

rufus_mcdufus Champion Elect

Ah, I misread the tweet.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. Bill Boddy

Bill Boddy Professional layabout Premium Contributor

That also applies to 98% of people who are in the habit of reading tweets rufus_mcdufus.

4. Radical F1

Radical F1 Learner

Can't wait for the first race :cheers:

5. Chasz

Chasz Points Scorer

What if someone sets the fastest lap whilst they are within the top ten but then fall outside of the top ten (eg puncture)? Presumably it's based upon the ultimate finishing position??

The confusion continues....

6. RasputinLives

RasputinLives I don't believe in Zimmerman Contributor

Featured Threads:
    What if two drives set an identical time?

7. Chasz

Chasz Points Scorer

Half a point each or a point for both?..

8. BradMan

BradMan Test Driver

ROFLROFL

9. Angel

Angel Pole Sitter Supporter

Featured Threads:

Surely if you're in the top ten when you set the time and no one beats it, you get the point. If you then drop out it shouldn't matter. Saying that, I'm going with common sense, so that may not be the case ;)

It's happened in qualifying, usually in that case the first person who set the time gets the position. So again, I would assume the same would apply here.

10. Legs

Legs Points Scorer

But there's a precedent for the point being split equally... :D

RasputinLives likes this.
  11. RasputinLives

RasputinLives I don't believe in Zimmerman Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Have I imagine it or were the grid positions of Bruno Senna and Petrov once decided on who had the lowest number on their car?

12. Izumi

Izumi Rookie

There was a case when three drivers set identical qualifying lap time. FiA awarded positions based on sequence lap times were logged in. First one who set that time got P1, and so on. I don't see any reason why in this case it should be any different. One gets point and others nada.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  13. Legs

Legs Points Scorer

Indeed, Jerez in 1997. The only time since 1957 that the final race of the season has been held in Europe. Can't think of anything else notable about that race, though... :thinking: LOL

Angel likes this.
  14. Angel

Featured Threads:
    It was Villeneuve who got pole that day by getting the time first and then I think it was Schumacher and Frentzen? who got the same time but I can't recall in which order.

15. Angel

Featured Threads:
    I must admit I don't remember that happening, but then again you could be right.

16. Izumi

Izumi Rookie

You and Angel have darn good memory and I think you are both correct.

17. Angel

Featured Threads:
    Izumi That was at the height of my Villenueve fandom, I am always going to remember something like that!

18. Izumi

Izumi Rookie

Villeneuve used to be an underdog while driving in Atlantic series. He drove well, but as someone from Quebecs province he was like Vettel today, whereas his opponent was loved by English (mostly Toronto) media, and very much promoted.
    I was rooting for underdog, which he was at that time, and when he had that hideous accident and T-boned someone on the speedway, it was bad, but he has survived.
    Problem was, at one point his head became swollen, and he started talking rubbish, defaming F1 as inferior series to NA racing which I didn't like one bit. My respect took nose dive after one of his rants suddenly he appeared at Williams and sat in best car of the day. That got me, and until today my former appreciation for the man never came fully back. I don't mind if he keeps quiet, some other times I wish he would take his guitar, move into mountains and yodel there instead.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    Dartman and gethinceri like this.
  19. 220

220 Learner

With the current points scoring finish required to claim the bonus point I think it will add zero to the racing.
    If the big 3 are as far ahead of the mid field as they have been the past few seasons it will be a extra point for the lowest placed of them who will probably have more than a pit stop gap back to the mid field can pit for tyres and take the point without dropping a position.

Having it available to any finisher would add more. It would be some motivation for the top teams to leave cars on track instead of retiring them to save components when they know a points finish isnt possible. It would add some excitement to the last 10 laps as the bottom half of the field chased the extra point. We saw last year how Max reacts to someone trying to unlap themselves.
    Can anyone say safety car. As a artificial excitement enhancer I think they have totally missed.

Izumi likes this.
  20. chris1981

chris1981 Points Scorer

similarly, what if a driver sets the fastest lap whilst out of the top 10 but finished in the top 10?
    or even makes an overtake for 10th whilst setting the fastest lap?
    too many ridiculous senarios.

21. 220

220 Learner

Telecast has started here in Aus with the season launch.

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice