Grand Prix 2024 Australian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Just realised we dont have the thread up to discuss max verstappen 10th win in a row & red bull's 34th win from the last 36 races

how people view Australia is a great indication of how long they watched F1, because those in early 30's know this as the season opener the beginning of that seasons journey, but there will be many people who like me with Japan this year, it feels weird to have it so early in the season as they know this as the season finale, the scene of some great title deciders obviously Mansell 1986 comes to mind & 1 of the most famous title deciders of all time Hill v Schumacher. as Damon has shown below he finally revisited the scene of the "crime" 30 years later
1711020828557.png
temp 4.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/p/C4nUuPnv2py/?igsh=a2dyejc3YjhrZDJr

Austraila has a rich motor racing history as the grand prix is 1 of the oldest surviving motorsport competitions held in Australia, which if ive done my maths right is 96 years old, & sunday will be 84th running, but has only been apart of F1 since 1985 but that did stop well known F1 drivers taking part with the likes of Moss won in 1956, Bruce Mclaren 1962 & 1965, Jack Brabham 1955 1963 & 1964 & Alain Prost in 1982.

Australia does hold quite a few F1 records because 5 countries have held consecutive races, but the other 4 had different names. only 1 had the same name consecutively that was Australian GP with the season finale in 1995 & season opener in 1996, 1995 is a another record for the largest margin of victory when Damon Hill won by 2 laps. 1991 is the shortest race in F1 history (with racing laps) with only 14 classified laps

on to this weekend, because of clocks & time of the year Australian GP at 4am is the earliest start time in UK since 2007 Australian gp when Lewis hamilton burst onto the world stage at 3am, anyone who is watching this live in uk, i take my hat off to you, your a far better fan than me, but hopefully we will have some excitement. as in hindsight it was 1 of the most dramatic / entertaining races of last season. so hopefully we get more of the same. & i posted in Sky F1 thread, it will be different this weekend because of alot of this weekend action will be broadcasted from their base in London. This will be the case for the race weekends in Australia, Japan, and China with potenially only ted kravitz, David croft & martin Brundle over in Australia

if you want to know the UK times for this weekends action
temp 2.png

Last edited:
The audio of George Russell calling for a red flag sounds like he's absolutely bricking himself. Some people on Twitter are claiming he was calling for it to preserve his points finish but I don't think he was thinking about that.

The race probably should have been red flagged once the medical car was out on track but whether they'd thrown the red flag or used a VSC to finish the race the cars would have been going at the same speed. If there's a red flag the cars don't just stop where they are.

The audio of George Russell calling for a red flag sounds like he's absolutely bricking himself. Some people on Twitter are claiming he was calling for it to preserve his points finish but I don't think he was thinking about that.

The race probably should have been red flagged once the medical car was out on track but whether they'd thrown the red flag or used a VSC to finish the race the cars would have been going at the same speed. If there's a red flag the cars don't just stop where they are
i found that baffling how anyone could think he's thinking of points. i dont if that was me it would the last thing. as id been terrified as thats a 130mph entry & even at pit lane speeds it could be serious if someone smashes into him

im thinking of just instant "this is serious" because VSC & yellows the teams will still have a go at drivers for slowing down too much, but red flag ends that shows that a driver is potentially in danger.

I hadn't seen the on-board with George. Given that the FIA have found Alonso at fault for deliberately slowing and causing the incident is it not unreasonable that he (Alonso) should be banned from at least the next, and possibly 3 races? In many other sports if you cause an incident which puts another participant in serious danger you would get a ban.

My advice to any drivers in future, if they are chasing Alonso towards the end of a race and he pulls a similar stunt, is to run in to the back of the ****!

I hadn't seen the on-board with George. Given that the FIA have found Alonso at fault for deliberately slowing and causing the incident is it not unreasonable that he (Alonso) should be banned from at least the next, and possibly 3 races? In many other sports if you cause an incident which puts another participant in serious danger you would get a ban.

My advice to any drivers in future, if they are chasing Alonso towards the end of a race and he pulls a similar stunt, is to run in to the back of the ****!
Nurburging 2003 springs to mind when Alonso braked much earlier to DC

Last edited:
i found that baffling how anyone could think he's thinking of points. i dont if that was me it would the last thing. as id been terrified as thats a 130mph entry & even at pit lane speeds it could be serious if someone smashes into him

im thinking of just instant "this is serious" because VSC & yellows the teams will still have a go at drivers for slowing down too much, but red flag ends that shows that a driver is potentially in danger.
The cynical people called him a wimp some of the comments on facebook are disgusting and those that laugh about I hope they get their comeuppance

Race wasn't too bad was it?
admitally it was a low bar because im so used to seeing Verstappen race off into the distance. probally bit like the 2004 beligian gp, after ferrari had won 13 of the 14. but it nice to see someone at the front & it was never guaranteed leclerc kept him honest & norris given them a fright at the end of the race getting it down to 2.4 secs

i was listening to someone & say that the new rules are failed by how heavy the cars are its, because they are sluggish & not nimble enough to make these overtakes. even going back to 2010 weight of 600kg not the 800kg of now not even early 00's would help greatly

Race wasn't too bad was it?

It was terrible. Even without Verstappen driving off into the sunset, we got essentially no action in the top 10 like we had in the previous 2 races. This is shaping up to be an extremely boring season. At least last season we got a very exciting Formula 1.5 behind Verstappen. It seems the engineers have managed to break the current rule set. The FIA needs to start thinking hard about a way disincentivizing the teams from actively trying to produce more dirty air. Maybe a pairwise qualifying format, forcing the team have a car drive in the dirty air produced by the other? I don't know.

I presume this is less about not having the funds for the bits but more about getting the number of required bits to the right places at the right time.

This is a consequence of a stupidly full calendar.

it is madness, i was saying about vettel on silly season that the season is 9 weeks longer than it was when he retired only 2 years ago & it was very long then

I presume this is less about not having the funds for the bits but more about getting the number of required bits to the right places at the right time.

This is a consequence of a stupidly full calendar.

Near the end of WWII the higher ups in allied forces were ordering raids over the German lines to capture prisoners. Tired of men losing their lives and losing scarce and valuable resources on pointless missions against an obviously already beaten German army, the officers started making up reports for mission that they didn't carry out. The higher ups were happy as punch at all the success they were getting. I feel F1 could learn from this........

I reckon they should just pretend to run a third of the races declaring a Verstappen win (he would win anyway) and getting chatgp to write a lovely little report on the race to be put out in the press. It would be a great way for the teams to save a ridiculous amount of money on transport and running costs and I don't think the majority of the world would notice.

Let's put that to the test with ChatGPT:

Max Verstappen Clinches Victory at Australian Grand Prix in Red Bull

In a heart-pounding race at the Australian Grand Prix, Max Verstappen secured a triumphant win, showcasing his prowess behind the wheel of his Red Bull machine. The Dutch driver demonstrated exceptional skill and strategic brilliance as he navigated the challenging circuit, ultimately crossing the finish line in first place.

However, the spotlight wasn't solely on Verstappen's dominant performance. A thrilling battle unfolded for the positions of 6th, 7th, and 8th, captivating spectators and keeping fans on the edge of their seats until the very end. Drivers fought fiercely, exchanging positions with daring maneuvers and strategic pit stops.

Despite intense competition from their rivals, several drivers distinguished themselves during this nail-biting showdown. The battle for 6th, 7th, and 8th showcased the depth of talent and determination within the Formula One field, providing fans with an exhilarating spectacle.

As the chequered flag waved, Verstappen celebrated his well-deserved victory, while the drivers who contested the fiercely contested mid-field battle left spectators in awe of their skill and determination. The Australian Grand Prix once again proved to be a thrilling and unforgettable event in the world of motorsport.

Well I did ask ChatGPT to write an Australian GP report in the style of Martin Brundle having David Croft stroke his balls with a warm, wet chamois leather so that may explain why.

Back
Top Bottom