YDT?

A couple of things which I would like to point out.

The young drivers test was always an opportunity to test out new parts, without restriction. This was the case before the trial, so losing the benefit of the test was a consequence the team would have understood before suggesting it. The race drivers, if they go to the tyre testing, are NOT allowed to test new parts. The imbalance here, for me, is that they will be able to change set up, and they do know which tyres they are using, however, this test will be limited to one day only, I am not sure if there is a km limit.

Mercedes (I believe) are within their rights to petition for inclusion, at least in the tyre testing, or even appeal, I have not seen anything regarding this, so I have assumed that they are letting sleeping dogs lie.

However, as I have said before, I am not sure that it is in anyones best interests to have this rumble on, it has served its purpose of providing a spotlight and intrigue for one of the three week gaps in the schedule.

Batman

That useless principle who has an OBE Christian Horner is not letting the ball drop saying Mercedes illegally tested and gained an unfair advantage and should be punished for it ..off course he would say that seeing his team profits the most if all Mercedes results were annulled since Spain

The FIA could remove the team points but leave the drivers as is, this has happened in the past. In that case RBR would not really benefit unless Mercedes up their game an challenge for the WCC.

But the race statistic is not meaningless I have already agreed they had a fast qualifying car but they didn't have a fast race car which the do have since the illegal test, that in my book is not a coincidence...

What fast race car? You seem a bit clueless on this topic. Did you watch the race? And this wasn't the only one - they went backward in Montreal too. They did well at Monaco and Silverstone - both unusual races. Webber himself said that Mercedes would shave won regardless of the test at Monaco because of the value of pole and the low speeds. Silverstone was cold, and that made overheating less of an issue. In Mntreal and Germany we saw the same issues with tires Mercedes has had all year.

Hamilton was scoring regular podiums before the test, and since not so much. MB learned nothing.

That is what we are lead to believe. Maybe, today's results suggest otherwise and they "have reverted to 'pre-secret-test'!"

Batman

That useless principle who has an OBE Christian Horner is not letting the ball drop saying Mercedes illegally tested and gained an unfair advantage and should be punished for it ..off course he would say that seeing his team profits the most if all Mercedes results were annulled since Spain

Another irrelevant comment. What relevance is there to saying Horner was just not letting the ball drop. This thread isn't about how well Horner is doing his job. The goal here should not be to keep Horner happy. It should be to level the playing field, and the punishment of Mercedes here is doing the opposite.

You come across as a Red bull lawyer - constantly reiterating your clients interests which are irrelevant to this thread.

Mercedes did not test parts, largely due to the fact that as Batman astutely points out, when you're doing back to back tests on different experimental sets of tires, the setup must remain the same to ensure reliable data. This test will be unlimited in parts testing. For these two reasons alone I see absolutely no comparison whatsoever in the testing undertaken by Mercedes with a Pirelli program, and the unbridled in season test now about to unfold. I recognize the fact that race drivers will only be given one day at the test, and I see this as an admission that they know full well that Pirelli's product is safe, and that 3 (even 4?) days testing of this kind of testing would quite literally leave Merc by the wayside. That is not the FIA's goal.

Amen!

That said I think the test will still leave Mercedes by the wayside. They learned nothing from the Pirelli test, they are struggling badly with tires, and they have insufficient data to provide insight. Mercedes are already slower than Lotus and Red Bull. After the YDT they will also be slower than Ferrari and possibly McLaren.

That verdict basically ended the Mercedes championship challenge. And most of you guys think less competition is a good thing.

Maybe Mercedes just haven't got over their thermal degradation problems yet? I don't think we've had 45 degree track temps for a while

Right, a note to everyone - the subject matter of this thread will be divisive as there are lot of opinions held on either side but there is absolutely no need for it to degenerate into personal comments or attacks. If it continues the thread will be locked and disappear into history. Also, if members can't act in an appropriate manner i.e. treating other members with respect, the moderating team will take action.

Thanks

FB

Hmm in Britain Meredes had no tire issues and in Germany they do?

I suspect they will fall even further back once the YDT is complete.

Batman

I am not a Red Bull lawyer and I think you will find I am quite anti Red Bull from regulars who have seen me post

As for Horner - that guy is a bad loser and is nothing but a water carrier in Red Bull. He won't let it drop although he must be smug today that Mercedes dropped like a stone in the race

In fact Red Bull threatened to do a private test of their own rather than go for the YDT because they believe they exploit the ambiguity in the regulations to do so

KekeTheKing

One word politics and the man who was involved in some of the most ugly politics I;ve seen in F1 - Jean Todt

problem was no one wanted to take full culpability for this embarrassment

Pirelli certainly weren't because they said they had a contract to do mileage testing on tures

Mercedes certainly were not given they could throw it back to Pirelli and saying they checked with Charlie Whiting as the get out route

the FIa certainly are not going to embarrass themselves for applying these complicated regulations regarding tyre testing

Back
Top Bottom