Windows 8

Is a simple fix if you know what to look for :)

Under sharing, have a look at the permissions, you need to add any user account with network in the name (I can't remember exactly which one fixes the issue), as well as the group "everyone" and "anonymous", this should allow you to connect without using a user name and password.

The other option is to create a user account on the source machine and set the password to something simple, give that user admin status and then use it to map to shared drives...

I am thinking about replacing my laptop in the next few months. I don't want windows 8, played with it in a shop, didn't like it.
Is it easy to reinstall windows 7? Has anyone used Linux or Chrome OS ?

Installing Windows 7 is simple but you will need the original disk (non-OEM version) and a license key.

The worst part is the Windows updates - it takes forever doing a clean install now due to the amount of updates required.

What would happen if you bought a laptop with Windows 8 and installed Windows 7 on it? Would the Windows 8 software still be on the hard drive? Or would it be gone forever?

Modern laptops don’t come with a Windows disc, the Windows is on the hard drive somewhere and you can reinstall Windows from there, but if you install Windows 7 from a disc is the Windows 8 and 7 both on the hard drive at the same time? And could you do a reset and reinstall back to Windows 8 if you wanted to or is Windows 8 gone?

I don’t like Windows 8 either and would want 7. Ideally I wouldn’t want both Windows 7 and 8 on the hard drive as its just taking up room unnecessarily but at the same time id want to keep the option of going back to Windows 8 if I wanted or needed to. Why cant they just put a disc in like they use to.

Or do you have both 7 and 8 and choose which one to use when you boot up?

You would need to install a dual boot system to be able to choose OS.

If you format and reinstall Win 7, that will become your OS.
If you subsequently do the DOS system recovery, it will replace the OS and all your data with the pre-installed software.

If it's installed on a separate partition it will - which it should be.

Also don't forget that with a new laptop you get a one time option to create a recovery DVD which will do the same thing.

Anyone know how to get Microsoft Office on a new computer instead of buying it again?
Read this page and follow the instructions to find your key (As long as you have access to the the original computer office is installed on.) write the key down and install on new computer using the key.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/productkeysactivation/tp/office-product-keys.htm

Or

Use this site to find the telephone number of microsoft activation support, explain your problem and they will generate you a new key.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950929

Screen Shot 2013-03-21 at 09.24.41.png

I've been living with Windows 8 for about a month now and I am perfectly happy with it. Microsoft need to make a few tweaks to improve the integration of the Metro apps and the desktop and companies need to get their act together and start making more apps for it but otherwise I think it's fundamentally a very good platform - it's miles faster than Windows 7 in terms of boot and login times, for example. I using it on my two year old laptop and time to login from off has probably reduced to about 20 seconds from maybe up to two minutes just by changing to Windows 8.

What they definitely need to do is to add a tutorial for people who aren't comfortable playing around with computers. It takes a bit of exploration to find new menus and make the best use of some of the new features. Some things aren't immediately visible so they really should have packaged in some sort of "How to get started" help.

I have been on windows 8 for about 2 months. I lived with the tile start screen for about 2 weeks. I just hated it, particularly the tile app for IE, totally unusable. I bought 'start8' (thanks canis) and now it starts up to desktop and has a start button. It is just as usable as windows 7 but faster. Much faster start up time and mail.

It looks like I am not the only one who hated the tiled start screen either with a big announcement for a windows 8 update yesterday widely rumoured to be bringing back the start button.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22446754

sushifiesta my HP ultra book came with a tutorial for windows 8. Maybe you can download it from the HP website, it is not specific to HP's.

Greenlantern101 I think the start button will launch the start screen if it's placed there, not a start menu. And I don't really see any benefit of the start menu over the start screen - you can use the start screen to launch desktop programs and the live tiles can show you all sorts of information at a glance. There is nothing the start menu did that the start screen can't do, and the start screen does much much more.

Back
Top Bottom