Ugliest F1 Cars

Agreed, this is tiny in real life:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    223.4 KB · Views: 116
I think it's something to do with aerodynamics having over the decades become the primary performance factor in the design of F1 cars.
In the old you wanted the car to be as light as possible, and the least competitive cars tended to be the heaviest. With today's technology getting down to minimum weight regulations isn't a problem. In modern times you want as much surface area on the car as possible to generate downforce upon, which is probably why cars have much longer wheelbases than they used to.

More punctures to come by the looks of it, unless the tyre-walls have an extra resistant membrane built in next year. I wonder are there any puncture stats across the years?

Looks-wise I think they'll be warmly received, but the definition of a good-looking car is partly aesthetics, and partly performance. If it's winning it's pretty.

I think it's something to do with aerodynamics having over the decades become the primary performance factor in the design of F1 cars.

---------------------------

Actually hold on, now that I think of it the main reason cars have become longer was the rule that came into effect in 1988, that said the driver's feet must be positioned behind the front-wheels ' axis. :) All cars became suddenly longer from 1988 onwards.

I am sure that tyre manufacturers keep the puncture stats across the years in their own archive. However, it would be nice to have those data, as well.

Back
Top Bottom