Tweetgate II, the re-tweet...

• An individual who is angry, when locked in a room on his own is unlikely to convey that anger to anyone else.
  • An individual who is angry, when locked in a room on his own with a mobile phone and a twitter account can convey that anger across the world in less than a second!

You miss my point. By the same argument you would stop all journalist access to drivers or just have all of the driver's mouths sewn up. Drivers say stupid things as well as tweet them. In fact, that's not just drivers - it's people.

The difference between TWITtering something daft and saying something daft is deniability... *new* media completely removes that barrier... nothing is ever "off the record" on TWITter...

.... And you can tweet anywhere in the world... ExtremeNinja... I think you probably miss my point.... When one is alone, one cannot be quoted by journalists... - however if one is alone with a twitter account, suddenly you can be quoted! - And even if you regret having made a post, if you are high-profile, then people will almost immediately get a screen-grab of what you've said!

Yes it is true that people say silly things, but using a twitter account and mouthing off on a twitter account means that anything you write WILL be pored over by journalists, looking for stories. The lesson? Don't tweet angry!

And remember, if you're not careful, you could end up saying something you'll live to regret...

Joseph Barton@Joey7Barton
Theres too many people on the planet already. I am just letting you all know that I am in favour of a cull of the stupid.

But seriously, David Cameron got it wrong, it is "a **** makes too many tweets" rather than vice-versa.
Not least when one is advocating self sacrifice!

There have been some really daft things written by the great and the good on Twitter. Hamilton's post is just one among many. At least he didn't call Button, McLaren or the FIA, a bunch of twats like a certain Mr Cole about the FA.

The Artist.....

So I take it you think that Twitter is to blame for Lewis' Ali G quote...

...or that the invention of the hammer is the reason for my black thumbnail last year. If I wasn't banging that nail in with a hammer I would have been using something even more unwieldy. Each form of communication has its etiquettes and lkewise its pitfalls.

.... And you can tweet anywhere in the world... ExtremeNinja... I think you probably miss my point.... When one is alone, one cannot be quoted by journalists... - however if one is alone with a twitter account, suddenly you can be quoted!

^^ ...and by this rational we would all be safer if we were not born. ^^

Communication in every form has the obvious caveat that it should be used with care.

ExtremeNinja

No i'm not saying that - and you know that! Things are not just black or white; there is a shade of grey in between. There was a very good interview this morning on BBC news about precisely this sort of thing relating to Ashley Cole - a pique of fury in front of a twitter account can lead to trouble... If people insist on having social media accounts, they need to also count to 10 before posting! However, if you know that you have a impulsive nature (or your management know that) - especially if public image is very important for revenue, then it is sometimes (often) better just not to have a twitter account! - and this counts for all those footballers, celebrities, racing drivers, comedians etc etc who have got themselves into hot water over twitter!

They should all be allowed to have Twitter accounts and post freely.

The fact is that despite me disliking (putting it mildly) some of the drivel Hamilton has posted in recent months it's actually provided me with a more reliable impression; truer if you like, of his actual personality and not some hogwash created by employer/management/PR teams.

Yep. It's odd that some fans want to sterilise the drivers' personalities and freedom of expression, through whatever media. I would have thought that most fans would have an opposing view to the corporate PR departments on things like this.

In the 'golden days' fans really appreciated getting close to the drivers and hearing their unguarded comments; I'm sure that some of those comments were off-the-cuff and said without consideration of the consequences... and got them in hot water sometimes. Tough, they were grown up enough to live with it and get over it; and I'm sure today's drivers are too.

For the last decade, since F1's following has blown out of all proportion, corporate presentation took over and we 'the fans' lost that sense of closeness to the drivers. The blandness of what we heard and the distance forced between fans and participants was a much greater problem for F1. At least we now get to know drivers, warts and all, almost as well as in the 'golden years'.

Twitter, although I don't follow it, is a valid medium for bringing drivers closer to fans; for better or worse.

It's not just a question of F1 or sport nor is it a question of twitter, facebook or any other specific medium.

You have to look at from a global point of view because it's the way the world is going. They used to say Britain is a nation of shopkeepers whereas these days the entire world is one gigantic nation of shopkeepers. You can see it in music, arts, sport, corporate business, everything.

Interferences everywhere for everyone and if someone with a high profile farts on Kathmabdu, someone in Mexico is bound to be offended by a sense of stink.

Ninja's post # 12, has given to me a little better understanding of the importance of twitter in the lives, and it's use by younger people. Lewis is 27 years old and not 17, and it's about time for him to wake up and smell the coffee, to realize that any negative comment that he might make towards his fellow drivers, especially Jenson will create a fire storm, in which he surely doesn't need at this time. Lewis has brought about this needless criticism upon himself which he now receives, and needs to push a pause button in his brain, before making any negative comment about any of his fellow drivers on twitter......This just might help him to reduce his apology rate.

1508849_efd4_625x1000.jpg

Back
Top Bottom